It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Shooting, MA Gov Seeks Limits On Machine-Gun Ownership

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

The article stated "The pending bill would limit gun sales to one firearm a month and ban anyone who isn’t the licensed owner or a police officer from having a machine gun."

How does this change anything? It says anyone who isn’t the licensed owner or a police officer can't possess a machine gun. Further, illegal ownership of firearms is already a crime. It is easy to convert a weapon [AK] to fully automatic without much work so this must just be a feel good law to show the public that the Gov should be reelected.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by akalepos
Is "OZ" what you guys call New Zealand?

OZ is short for Oztralia, (Australia)
We're Aussies or Ozzies.

I think both you guys and the Australians have some really strict gun laws right?

I can legally own a pistol or rifle here. The laws aren't as strict as people make out.
Even when a young idiot I know started threatening girls in public places with his 22 rifle, making death threats and constant suicide threats, the police only confiscated his rifle for 2 weeks, then gave it back.

The 2nd amendment wasn't designed for those people of personal preference. It was designed as an acknowledgement that one must be ready to fight off tyranny. It doesn't have a lot to do with today's arguments. It was a reaction to what had just occurred in this country.

Though the immediate danger of those particular days have passed, tyranny has never died. So there is an equal reason to stay in the mode of the intent of the second amendment because tryanny can arise again.

The days when government tyranny meant a few armed guys at your door are long gone. You won't defend against aerial attack, gas, viruses, water poisoning or starvation with a gun.

Try using guns to get fluoride out of your water ...

Hows your weather this year on OZ? I live in the desert in SoCal and it has been really weird the last 3 years.

Droughts, water shortages getting worse each year, warmer winters, tropical weather patterns moving further and further south ...

- and a government trying to increase immigration when our capital cities are all on water rations. I can't legally was a car with a hose, garden watering is severely restricted and even taking a bath is frowned upon. I had government people on my doorstep to give me a new shower rose, one that lets only a trickle of water through. Try rinsing shampoo out of long hair under that ...

Naturally, if there's not enough water, not enough jobs, house prices are doubling in 10 years, and drought has made fresh foods exorbitantly expensive, you're classed as a racist if you want immigration decreased for a while ...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

The days when government tyranny meant a few armed guys at your door are long gone.

You might want to ask the people of New Orleans how the government acted after Katrina. I think they will have a different take on how long gone the days are.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine It is easy to convert a weapon [AK] to fully automatic without much work so this must just be a feel good law to show the public that the Gov should be reelected.

No, it's not. It takes hours of work and a mill to do it right. By that point you could just go ahead and machine your own firearm from scratch.

There is no truth to the "drop-in" parts or the simple "hammer and drill" conversions.

If it were easy as some claim it is you'd see them being confiscated left and right especially in this information age we are living in.

The work is hard, especially for an unskilled/untrained individual and has very little reward being that the usefulness of a machine gun, even in a spraying maniac manner, is extremely limited. 3 seconds to waste a clip with no accuracy. Worthless.

The "easy conversion" myth needs to stop. It's just more gun ignorant lying.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I'm a MA resident and whenever there is a murder involving a firearm, the governor invariably begins yammering for more regulation, and tighter gun laws. And they huff and they puff, and the only remedy they offer is stricter gun control. Because they have no power over this issue, but people demand security provided by the government.

Law cannot dictate reality, however statistically yes, if you remove ALL the guns from a populace, gun crime will go down. But over all crime will go up, tptb are content to adjust the sliders away from our freedom on this issue, if we do not stand for them, and demand them.

No I don't think the government is out to get us, I know they know that we are more useful alive. I'm not saying we all need fully automatic high caliber firearms in every domicile. But my lawful right is that of free choice, which is not supersede by the right of another to prevent me from doing so.

Most gun crimes in the US are committed with low caliber, low capacity, semiautomatic pistol. I cringe when the blame is shifted to legally owned semi automatic rifles, and feel good policy is enacted to diminish the freedoms of all.

Gun rights may seem like a little thing today. But guns are a thing that are better to have and not need, than need and not have. Gun owners rights are out of the media and out of the populaces mind, wake up and remember the quiet motto of our state,

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem,

By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty!

Peace o7

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Miracle Man

And just how can YOU justify your position?? Since they were highly regulated and taxed, in 1934, there has been ONE illegal use of a legally registered machinegun-by a POLICE OFFICER, to murder his wife. (This occurred in Va Beach, VA, back in the early 1980's). Legal machinegun owners, (such as myself), are the most law-abiding Citizens in our Country. Almost ANY conviction, can result in revocation of your FEDERAL permit, and loss of ownership.
In ANY way- The Constitution of the United States, guarantees EVERY Citizen (with only a very few exceptions, such as mental disability), the absolute RIGHT to own military weapons- this has been upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States. The 2nd. Amendment is NOT about duck-hunting, you know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join