It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer for NYPD secretly records colleagues and superiors for over a year, exposes mass corruption!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+106 more 
posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Two years ago, a police officer in a Brooklyn precinct became gravely concerned about how the public was being served. To document his concerns, he began carrying around a digital sound recorder, secretly recording his colleagues and superiors.

He recorded precinct roll calls. He recorded his precinct commander and other supervisors. He recorded street encounters. He recorded small talk and stationhouse banter. In all, he surreptitiously collected hundreds of hours of cops talking about their jobs.

They reveal that precinct bosses threaten street cops if they don't make their quotas of arrests and stop-and-frisks, but also tell them not to take certain robbery reports in order to manipulate crime statistics. The tapes also refer to command officers calling crime victims directly to intimidate them about their complaints.

As a result, the tapes show, the rank-and-file NYPD street cop experiences enormous pressure in a strange catch-22: He or she is expected to maintain high "activity"—including stop-and-frisks—but, paradoxically, to record fewer actual crimes

The tapes also reveal the locker-room environment at the precinct. On a recording made in September, the subject being discussed at roll call is stationhouse graffiti (done by the cops themselves) and something called "cocking the memo book," a practical joke in which officers draw penises in each other's daily notebooks.

The NYPD Tapes: Inside Bed-Stuy's 81st Precinct

This confirms what we have believed for a while now. The police are working on quotas, and are ticketing people to meet them. What gets me is this part

The tapes also refer to command officers calling crime victims directly to intimidate them about their complaints.

WTF? This is serious corruption. The only reason someone would want to intimidate a victim is if the police were crooked and on the side of the criminal.

Here are some examples:

Click on this link to hear the audio

OCTOBER 12, 2009
"How Do We Know This Guy Really Got Robbed?"

Police officers are supposed to take crime complaints, but in this roll call, a sergeant tells cops not to take robbery complaints if the victim won't immediately return to speak with detectives. She questions the victim's motives, too.

Click on this link to hear the audio

OCTOBER 4, 2009
"It's Not About Squashing Numbers"

In this roll call, precinct supervisors order officers to be skeptical about robbery victims, and tell the cops that the precinct commander and two aides call victims to question them about their complaints.

-E-

[edit on 11-5-2010 by MysterE]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see/hear these tapes. I am a supporter of law and law enforcement. When they are in the right. However, we all know that there is corruption within many of the departments throughout this country. Especially in the larger cities.

Unfortunately what it has turned into is the police, in many cases, are now looking at civilians as the people that need to serve them instead of the other way around.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Great find, MysterE!

*S&F*

Wonder how many shockwaves this will create in the NYPD?

We all know there is corruption everywhere.
Now if we can just get someone to do this in the Congress, or the White House.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

This shows a good insight into the police.

I wonder if its the same in the UK??

But on this, it is crazy how figures are manipulated and real crime is not recorded.
Id guess its pretty much the same all over.
Imagine the officer who recorded this used this for blackmail...
Will there be a T.V. Programme on this soon?

S + F!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
i like what that guy did.

we should get our own shills in the force and do this everywhere.

fire with fire

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
we all know this goes on in all countrys.
I hope he left the country he was in, they will kill him.
even if they make examples. it will still go on...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This is not indicative of all police officers. My husband is a retired officer, and is an honorable man. It is a shame what is going on, but it may just be this precinct

+13 more 
posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I live in New York City and I'm more afraid of the cops than of any vague terrorist, especially when the cops are walking around with gas masks and m-16s.

No one here is shocked by the quotas, everyone knows about them. People like to think the cops are your friend, that they're there to help, that you can trust them, that they're interested in defending the law. People who think that have not had many dealings with the police.

Wake up people, the police are just the primary enforcement arm of the federal government and serve no one's interests but the government's. In court you're "Guilty until proven innocent" but when you have to submit to random check points, stop and frisks, when you're being shoved to the ground, cuffed and locked in a cage, it sure seems like they assume you're guilty.

I've lived in NYC for 27 years and I've never called the police.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BreachedZone

I want to make it clear that I don't think all police are corrupt. I believe this represents a very small percentage of officers. For the most part I believe our law enforcement are honorable brave men.

-E-

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BreachedZone

YAY!!!!!!

THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!

Maybe now we can start taking closer looks at how our Police operate.
We need some of that "Obama transparancy"(jk)in these precincts.

Purposefully messing with crime statistics has HUGE consequences not only for the cops, but for our political leaders as well.

I love when Corruption on the federal level gets exposed, it makes them look like the biggest hypocrites walking this planet.

JAIL JAIL JAIL...General population!

God I cant wait to see what comes from these tapes.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Nice! I saw this story a couple days ago and was able to listen to a couple of recordings. Incredibly shocking but at the same time not so much. Those of us in the big cities know this isn't anything new. I've been harassed by officers a couple of times for doing absolutely nothing. Literally nothing. As in being the passenger in my gf's car when the idiot did a U right in the middle of a busy street and took a red light just to catch up to us to give her a freckin fix it ticket out of all things. I was always able to talk my way out of it by simply showing the officer's that I'm not just another sheeple and do know my rights, or what's left of them. Once they know you know what they're doing isn't right they usually back off. Or atleast for now they do.

Edit: Oh yeah, and then he had the nerve to say to my gf, "I was gonna let you go but since I got a little attitude from someone I'm gonna give you a ticket now." My "attitude" being knowing my rights.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by conspiracy88]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

Police officers are supposed to take crime complaints, but in this roll call, a sergeant tells cops not to take robbery complaints if the victim won't immediately return to speak with detectives. She questions the victim's motives, too.

Quick point:

If someone calls the police to say that they were robbed but they don't return calls to Detectives who are investigating the incident, the police should still take a report without any knowledge of what took place?

If the victim is non-cooperative, what can you do?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Wow, now that's what I call a good cop. Take'em down from the inside.
tenner says he's not a cop for long. (or he's shunted out to where he can't over hear anything dodgy again)

Anything I've said with reguards to the police in the past, are exempt from this cop, he truly is one of the good guys. 1 down, how many more to go?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Wow, now that's what I call a good cop. Take'em down from the inside.
tenner says he's not a cop for long. (or he's shunted out to where he can't over hear anything dodgy again)

Anything I've said with reguards to the police in the past, are exempt from this cop, he truly is one of the good guys. 1 down, how many more to go?

Here, here! Couldn't agree more...

Thing is, with the proliferation of mini recording devices and the improvement of their quality, beautiful instances such as this can only increase in frequency.

I think the fact that he released some info before publishing a book speaks volumes about his motivation behind it all.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
So basically, the cops are encouraged to "stop-and-frisk" innocents more (violating our constitutional rights) while also report LESS real crimes (create illusion of less crimes occurring).

Sounds like a mass social conditioning program.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
S&F

The longer a police department has been around the more likely it is to be corrupt. At least that's what they taught me when I took a few CJ classes. An organization as huge as the NYPD has got to be rife with corruption and I'm glad someone had the grapes to do something about it.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think the problem here is the reward system. Right now, the more crime there is, the more $$ is thrown at it. The police should get more money for a decrease in crime. Then there wouldn't be quotas, and more incentive to decrease crime.

Of course this may just lead to under reporting of crime, but there would need to be a measure to counter that as well.

-E-

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if he has an 'unfortunate accident' sometime soon. I'd also bet this hardly touches the MSM, don't want to undo all that stuff about there being no corruption or conspiracies, not to mention no quotas...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

It takes funding to tackle crime. Giving more money to a police department with a lack of crime is counter productive.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I've lived in NYC for my whole life. To anybody raised here none of this is new.

They should come to my local precinct. I've had a number of problems with them. It is probably the most corrupt, full of lazy cops, POS of a precinct in the city.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join