It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Chris Christie could be the Real Deal Holyfield....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Christie's Rx to bust Jersey bloat

On April 20, New Jersey voters backed Gov. Chris Christie in the first test of his drive to pull their state back from the fiscal brink -- producing record turnout as they rejected 58 percent of school budgets. But the war is far from over -- and must extend far beyond property taxes.

Having successfully challenged the New Jersey Education Association's decades-long control over the public purse, the governor is now moving to tackle the issues that drove so many voters to the polls: crushing property taxes and out-of-control spending.

Christie yesterday released a package of 33 bills -- which add up to a frontal assault on New Jersey's tax-and-spend spiral. The key components of his "tool kit" to help municipal government:

* A tighter property-tax cap.

* Collective-bargaining and civil-service reforms.

* A clampdown on pension and benefits costs for public workers.

* A 2.5 percent limit on annual increases in public-employee contracts: Local workers' total compensation -- wages, health benefits, vacation time, etc. -- couldn't rise by more than that.

Christie wants to tighten the current property-tax cap of 4 percent and broaden it to include pensions and benefits. The intent is to force discipline on local budgets.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

The above was his budget address a month after being elected. Since then he has been able to have a record turnout of voters taking to the ballot disapproving teacher union budgets and having voters vote against the political & union pigs who are ripping the NJ constituents off.

This guy is putting the power back in the hands of the people for them to make the changes they see fit.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
When is the last time you saw a politician actually do what he said he would? Here in NJ though he will be a one-termer. People gripe about the goodies from guvmint until it affects them personally which it has to eventually, then they get pissed off and toss the guy out. The reason pols are such oinkers is because that is really what the voters want. Take everyone else's freebies but don't dare touch mine. This guv is probably NJ's last chance to avoid what certainly looks like the same precipitous fall that awaits Cal and NY in the very near future.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I have a lot of extended relatives in NJ who were looking to move for the past 2 years down to South Carolina. They still have their houses up for sale but are hoping things do change around with Gov. Christie. So far they are all impressed by his bluntness. He has already started to make good on his goals for cutting bloated budgets by tackling the Teachers Unions first as they were the untouchables who are ripping off the entire state.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

I live in NJ and voted for Christie. He has a tough job and is doing well. The unions are complaining but they don't care that the state is broke. All they care about is keeping their raises and pensions intact.

I work in the private sector and I had to take a pay cut last year to stay employed so the teachers union is not finding much sympathy from the pubic while they complain about the governor making them accept a pay freeze for the next 2 years. I would have loved to accept a pay freeze.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrampsLEn
When is the last time you saw a politician actually do what he said he would? Here in NJ though he will be a one-termer. People gripe about the goodies from guvmint until it affects them personally which it has to eventually, then they get pissed off and toss the guy out. The reason pols are such oinkers is because that is really what the voters want. Take everyone else's freebies but don't dare touch mine. This guv is probably NJ's last chance to avoid what certainly looks like the same precipitous fall that awaits Cal and NY in the very near future.

Are we living in the same New Jersey?

Christie has done what he said he would so far -- which is severely cut budgets that had blown-up while under Corzine's watch. Are you aware of the deficit that Christie walked into?

He has no choice but to cut, cut, cut. He is, unfortunately, hitting education rather harshly, however, I believe he was fair in saying that perhaps teachers should consider foregoing their annual raise this year, citing that many of us, myself included, have received reduced incomes, forget getting a raise.

Also, people are complaining that he is favoring businesses. While that appears to be the case, it's not. Under Corzine, business restrictions and taxes and penalties made it nearly impossible for any business to survive. Hence why NJ has lost such an incredible amount of small business in the last 6 years. Christie is working to bring small business back to NJ, which, economically, will benefit the entire state.

He is also cutting government workers and local law enforcement funding. He is mandating nobody receive a raise, all unnecessary positions eliminated, etc.

He seems to be making the same hard choices for government as he is for the people. To me, that's how government should be run.

I can't stand when government blows-up their own budgets and protects only their people while the rest of us pay for it and do with less.

At least his employees will feel the same squeeze as the rest of us.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

He is really turned up the heat in NJ, This guy is a thorn for not only the unions but also all of the state employees. He is not a popular guy in hearts of individuals who are in his crosshairs, finally NJ has someone working for the people of the state.

He has only begun his fight and majority of the residents of NJ are supporting him all the way.

new topics

top topics

join