It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are a lot of "skeptics" so arrogant?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
When I try to discuss Conspiracy theories with my parents they get very defensive up to the point of actually being aggressive....some people just cannot handle a different viewpoint from their own.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
Hang on there, when you say skeptics, are you talking about people that disagree with your opinion? ifso this is not skeptical. I used to think that there were many skeptics on this site, but after a while I got to know these people and they offered a balanced viewpoint.

Its like this, ask yourself why are you on this site? then ask why are 'they' on this site? everyone is looking for the same answers.

I agree there are skeptical minded individuals whom are rude and arrogant but these are very few and far between and they are stirrers/trolls looking to gauge a response.

No the annoying skeptics are the ones that you can show them the proof and you can back up the claim. Then they still don't believe you. those types of skeptics I truly can't stand. They believe what you see is what you get, but they don't understand the human mind well and anything in this world can be plausible.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53

Originally posted by franspeakfree
Hang on there, when you say skeptics, are you talking about people that disagree with your opinion? ifso this is not skeptical. I used to think that there were many skeptics on this site, but after a while I got to know these people and they offered a balanced viewpoint.

Its like this, ask yourself why are you on this site? then ask why are 'they' on this site? everyone is looking for the same answers.

I agree there are skeptical minded individuals whom are rude and arrogant but these are very few and far between and they are stirrers/trolls looking to gauge a response.

No the annoying skeptics are the ones that you can show them the proof and you can back up the claim. Then they still don't believe you. those types of skeptics I truly can't stand. They believe what you see is what you get, but they don't understand the human mind well and anything in this world can be plausible.

Yes. The false skeptics. People who claim to stand for rationality and science, but really just stand for a mundane viewpoint of how the world is.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

This is a rather curious claim. This is pedominantly a conspiracy theory site. If you have actual evidence for some claim, then it's no longer a conspiracy. If skeptics don't believe the presented evidence, there must be something deficient about the evidence, or what you believe to be evidence does not meet the standards of evidence. Such people are actually helping the claimant by pointing these things out. Presenting poor evidence works against the claimant in all ways.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It seems to me that most people who think someone else is arrogant just doesn't like what the other person is saying. Sometimes, it takes on to know one.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

well it could be that the so called "annoying" skeptics find your evidence to be poor evidence or not evidence at all.
i've seen people claim that witnesses, so-called trace evidence and random videos or blurry images as evidence for alien space crafts and present that to skeptics as evidence. then the skeptic looks at the evidence and says it isn't really evidence of alien space crafts, why? because evidence has to support the claim and those things presented can be answered with something other than aliens.
evidence is normally something that can not be explained by other means or occurrences.
good evidence of course would be images of aliens and alien space crafts that no human could come up with, or some genetic material or a body.
nothing like that yet.

no, i think your belief about their understanding of the human mind is incorrect, i think they do understand the human mind, they just don't understand the logical hoops believers go through. neither do i though.

the truth is anything is plausible, but not everything.
the universe could have been created last thursday with everything as is, including memories, does that mean its plausible? yes, that doesn't make it likely.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by demongoat]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Studies have shown that skeptics have lower IQs than non skeptics. Studies have also shown that people with lower IQs tend to be more arrogant and rude than people with higher IQs.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Red Cloak]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak
Studies have shown that skeptics have lower IQs than non skeptics. Studies have also shown that people with lower IQs tend to be more arrogant and rude than people with higher IQs.

No kidding!
What studies are those?
Care to cite them for us?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak

I'm going to have to call B.S. on this one.
I think you're confusing "skeptic" with "conspiracy theorist".
Cite the source.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

If you have actual evidence for some claim, then it's no longer a conspiracy.

Er....what?

That doesn't make sense.

Anyways, people are confusing actual skepticism with pseudo-skepticism. Pseudo-skeptics call themselves skeptics but choose to reinforce the official story and defend the official story against any other explanation.

A true skeptic doesn't believe one way or another on anything. Their opinions never stagnant, they are ever evolving in their theories and explanations and ideas.

I consider myself an actual skeptic; more often than naught the official story proves to be false although conversely a majority of popularized conspiracies are likely false as well. But I still watch main stream news and I still listen to Alex Jones because I want to hear what they are saying.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by SpectreDC]

[edit on 12-5-2010 by SpectreDC]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

If you have actual evidence for some claim, then it's no longer a conspiracy.

Er....what?

That doesn't make sense.

Fair enough. Let me rephrase.

If you have actual evidence for some claim, then it's no longer a conspiracy theory

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I'm sure that for most people the most annoying skeptics are the ones who ask you for evidence and logical proof to back up your claim, and then you realize that you don't really have any. That there's nothing that connects the dots like you think it should. That must be a real burn.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join