It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could another Icelandic volcano erupt soon?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk

By Victoria Gill
Science reporter, BBC News

As scientists and air travellers alike keep a close eye on Iceland's ongoing volcanic eruption, some reports suggest that another, much bigger, volcano could stir in the near future.

Katla is Eyjafjallajokull's more active neighbour, and scientists believe that there may be a link between the two volcanoes.

This link has not been physically proven, explains Magnus Tumi Gudmundsson
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
www.dallasblog.com
www.travelbite.co.uk
www.google.com

[edit on 11-5-2010 by asala]

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/11/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Here we go...

If the one volcano erupted and caused so much trouble to air travel and so many other issues to Europe, what will happen when the second (and larger) one erupts at pretty much the same time?!?

Has anyone noticed any earthquake activity in the area?

Think there are any 2012, planet x, timewave zero, haarp or any other connections to explain the sudden excitement in Iceland?

The other question I keep wondering about... How much longer till Yellowstone goes?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/11/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Another "if" thread... Headlined like its happening. Please stop these false alarms!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Yep in the 1700s, Katla erupted, it killed a lot of people (thousands) in the UK and Europe due to poisonous gas it emited...

So let's hope it doesn't erupt, and if it does, let's hope it's not a big one.

The scientists are saying the peak of volcanic activity in Iceland will be around 2033... so Katla have big chances of erupting between now and 2033.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

the gas only killed mainly outside workers might I add.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by prettygreeneyes26

Yeah well have you forgotten that most buildings have air conditioner systems? And I doubt they have built in filters to stop the gas...

So IMO it would go in the buildings too.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I think the link between the two is worth noting and it may be a great separate thread to do a more detailed analyses of the two volcanoes and the History they share.

S&F. OP

g

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I've never trusted air conditioning since people can get ill off the bacteria in them, and the scary band they make when you turn them on...eek

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
it happened the last 3 times within six months. no reason to think it won't happen six months from now.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Yeah well have you forgotten that most buildings have air conditioner systems? And I doubt they have built in filters to stop the gas...

So IMO it would go in the buildings too.

I don't know anyone with air conditioner, well bar windows and doors that open
and those offices that have them would just drag the gas into the closed system and keep circulating the gas...

So I guess tho there is a potential that said gas once inside buildings would be a bugger to get out... scary thoughts..

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

either it will or it won't but as I have seen these recent solar influenced earthquakes then I think we might see it blow.... hopefully not because I am in the UK eek eek...

If it does blow I am assuming it would go as far as france and some nordic areas... oh dear oh dear indeed

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Come back when it really blows. These endless threads of what might happen are a waste of time.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

As far as I understand it, the probability of it not blowing is quite low... just a lot of hope that it will be a little pop rather than a bigger belch...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Just not going to buy into another "what-if-real-dasater-omg-what-to-do-cept-get-more-guns" thread. Bye. If this volcano erupts again....then it means that it's eruption is not over. Sorry to all you gamers who can only understand instaneous results, but ME is much much grander a scale than a video game. And just in case you need a nudge....check out other volcano reuptions < wow Hele in Hawaii comes to mind: has been reupting for years! > Volcanoes are massive events....they have thier own scale and each notch on that scale is enormous. Quit panicking. The global scale volcanic events happen beyond any generations' memory so they are always new. And many people die. If any volcano of this magnitude: super volcano: should pitch such a fit, relax, meditate, find your peace, and wish everyone you know a peaceful journey. And guess what: the super volcanoes are the most observed, the most reported on, because they are the most feared. Best way to get more funding is my guess. Keep yourself in the headlines with reports on the scariest volcanoes and guess what? that scientist is going to scare the crap out of you again next year. The world is going crazy these days....human reaction is scarier to me than any earthquake, volcano, or tsunami. Stay calm, keep your wits, find as many facts as you can, and kiss the sky.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Anyway, when it blows up, we'll hear about it, LITERALLY.

Katla is like a big dry ice bomb.

When the Krakatoa erupted in 1883, the people heard the explosion from 4800 km/3000 miles away!

So anyone in eastern Canada, eastern north USA, UK and most of Europe will hear it, LITERALLY.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Doom and Gloom! If you think about a possible future occurence and you want to be the firste to post it for kudos, then also call for meditation and positive thoughts going to the earth to help avoid the circumstance. There seems to be a link between what most people believe and what happens ..good or ill...like the "three" think with deaths ...Oh two worldwide stars died ...who will be the third>?

My limited perspective is simple ...when observations of life in this everchanging universe determines that an event should happen ..it will..or worse.

So much focus on negative will ultimately bring it about like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Plant some trees or flowers help heal the earth and mabe she won't let old wounds fester.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Again how many times have we had the big IF....

There is also the possibility it will never go off again, there is the possibility it will not go off as big, the possibility that the magma chambers are interconnected and the volcano nobody can say has relieved some of Katlas pressure.

It might go off and Everyone and there dog Knows it MIGHT.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Thread already up and running... for a while now... seems that the independent newspaper got there before the BBC.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Muckster]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Not exactly sure IF (that) it's going to happen, but I coulda sworn I just saw an excerpt on History or Discovery or something about how this thing is a monster (something about continental plates actually separating there, or something - the land mass is actually INcreasing as the land separates (as opposed to just mounting like Hawaii, for example))

Lemme see if I can find anything.

[edit on 5/11/2010 by SquirrelNutz]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
Another "if" thread... Headlined like its happening. Please stop these false alarms!

I completely agree. So many people just fish / troll for stars and flags here.

If there is an easy way to flag topics for doing this, I'd like to know how. I never know when it's "important enough" to alert staff.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join