It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to let mothers visit 3 US detainees: Mottaki

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Iran to let mothers visit 3 US detainees: Mottaki

www.reuters.com

Intelligence Minister Haidar Moslehi said last month Tehran had proof that the three Americans, detained on espionage charges, had links to intelligence services.

Shane Bauer, 27, Sarah Shourd, 31, and Josh Fattal, 27, were detained after they entered Iran from northern Iraq, a case that has further complicated poor relations between Tehran and Washington.

"It was decided... to issue visas for these three mothers so they can come to Iran and visit their children," the semi-official Fars news agency quoted Mottaki as saying.

Mottaki said the decision to allow the visit was a "humani
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.presstv.ir
www.cnn.com
thestar.com. my
news.yahoo.com

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I'm so happy to see that these mothers/families are finally able to visit with their loved ones. I couldn't imagine having my child locked away in a prison in some foreign country with American and Israeli weapons pointed their way.

With that being said, it is extremely hard for me to believe that these three "hikers" are in fact innocent. What kind of tourists book a trip to Iraq for a vacation? Granted, they were in the relatively peaceful Kurdish region, but still. This whole incident seems to be very fishy and the Iranians are saying that they have ties to Israeli intelligence agencies, though I have not yet seen proof or evidence of such. I wouldn't doubt it in the least.

Never the less, it is a wonderful gesture on the part of Iran to allow their families to visit them. Could you imagine the US government allowing family visits for the GITMO prisoners? Prisoners of the US government are often never heard from again.

--airspoon

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edited for structure.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by airspoon]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
With that being said, it is extremely hard for me to believe that these three "hikers" are in fact innocent. What kind of tourists book a trip to Iraq for a vacation?

How about adventure seekers? There are people who like the thrill of being in a warzone or being in a dangerous situation (let's face it: even bungee-jumping is quite dangerous and there are lots of people who enjoy it).
Also Iraq may be full of landmines and crazy people (but what country doesn't have crazy and violent people?), but it's full of ancient histories, nice buildings and there is just so much to see. I don't think it's that unbelievable that there are people who just want to visit the country.

Originally posted by airspoon
Never the less, it is a wonderful gesture on the part of Iran to allow their families to visit them.

If anything it's a plan to not stir up more trouble or get even more hate from the US, so they play it nice and safe.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

What do you think is more likely, three American tourists on vacation in Iraq - a war zone - who just happen to accidently stroll into Iran on one of their nature walks or... three young Americans working for either Israel or the US, sent on an intelligence mission to stir up trouble in a country that we have publicly announced our intentions of destroying? Hmmmm..... I think this one is all but obvious. We pretty much know that we send spies over that way, why would these three youngsters, who fit the profile to a "T", not be a part of that mission? It's pretty naive to think that these were just tourists, in a warzone controlled by America, and they happened to accidently cross the border into Iran, an obvious American and Israeli future target.

First of all to even visit the country for any reason, much less tourism, you would have to get permission from both the Iraqis and Americans which would almost be impossible. Even people with valid business to conduct are getting denied visas. The likelihood that America and Iraq both would allow several kids to come in on vacation is almost slim to none. Remember, there is an active war going on and tourists could not only hinder the mission, but also get themselves killed or kidnapped. The last thing that the US wants, is to kill a few American tourists that they gave permission to be there in the first place. Another thing, why would the Americans not assume that these kids were giving material/financial support to the enemy's war effort? When we caught British citizens in Afghanistan, we locked them up and tortured them, even though they were innocent and didn't even resemble terrorists, simply on the assumption that since they were in Afghanistan, they must be corroborating with the enemy. Ask yourself this, how did they get into the country, who gave them permission and why?

Sure, there are a lot of people who want to visit the rich historical sites in Iraq but not during an active war, major violent outlashes and tightly restrictive rules for entering the country. Then, to top it all off, they entered into Iran, a country known to be under the gun of both Israel and the US.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, smells like a duck and looks like a duck, well then common sense would tell us that it is probably a duck.

Did you forget to use logic?

--airspoon

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
As I'm following this story, I can't help but to think of the deep contrast between US policies towards it's enemies and those of Iran. Iran sure is taking the high ground on this and unfortunately, the media will somehow spin this against Iran, completely ignoring the attrocities that our government commits daily. You gotta love corporate media.

--airspoon

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Great post, thanks to this post I have just cancelled my hiking "War zone" holiday, I was going to start off in Palestine, then pop over to Afghanistan, then a long hike through the terrorist controlled refugee camps in Pakistan, then off to Iraq and finally Iran.

But, as some countries seem to be arresting innocent hikers (....lol!), I don't think i'll bother!

I think it's great for the families of these prisoners to get to see them, especially as the people in Guantanamo Bay were only allowed one phone call each per year to contact their families!(up to 2008), I believe they are now allowed contact through videolink! What about Israeli prisons where people (Palestinian) have not been seen by their families for decades!

For people who want to go "Hiking" in war zones (Ha!), I got a great new adrenaline sport for you, BUNGEE JUMPING INTO ACTIVE VOLCANO'S!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrddin Wyllt

Yeas, it's crazy to see the mind control that the media has over the people, to where people can point fingers at Iran when we are magnitudes worse in a lot of instances.

--airspoon

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrddin Wyllt
Great post, thanks to this post I have just cancelled my hiking "War zone" holiday, I was going to start off in Palestine, then pop over to Afghanistan, then a long hike through the terrorist controlled refugee camps in Pakistan, then off to Iraq and finally Iran.

But, as some countries seem to be arresting innocent hikers (....lol!), I don't think i'll bother!

Ha Ha, you took the words out of my mouth.

Does anyone have any idea of these 3 young adults' life in "normal life" like job, school, etc? The families don't seem to be saying much, and it looks kinda fishy if you ask me. I'm just sayin.

new topics

top topics

join