It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6000 Veterans Commited Suicide Last Year!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
What bothers me almost as bad as the subject of this thread does, is that several posters on this one, talking about their concern for veterans....are on other threads calling those same veterans psychopathic murderers.

Seems a bit odd...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
reply to post by anonymousproxy

its not the soldiers fault really. some were brainwashed into thinking what they were doing was a good thing. They were trained to kill, trained for battle. soldiers kill. its war. Its the leadership thats the problem sending these men and women to wars of aggression for profit. if anything blame them, not our fellow countrymen.

everyone has a choice, a lot go in the army themselves to get out of poverty or feel that the country is in some way of a threat. No country really is, its the perception of the leaders like you say. However the leader ( corporate executive) are making their money. The employee's ( any citizen who's on the tax) wanting to make money is the same thing.
You choose to work in a factory or to work as a bin man for the last resort of helping to pay for yourself or your family. Some to get away from the life they lead. You may regret been a bin man and seeing all the rubbish and am sure you may not like working in factories and regret working all those hours for nothing like most people who work. You choose to take out a mortgage or a loan and you end up paying the mortgage of through your life long pension sum. You worked for a long-time, what for. You either play how the executive wants' to play it. Work in an intelligent way by not giving to much to them by not getting mortgage, or a loan or you become unemployed finding a way not to be able to work.

I don't have sympathy for people's choices then moan about it.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

One thing I picked up listening and reading the news reports is that 6000 is close to a "yearly" amount. Something that has been going on for some time. That, I believe, lends itself to a couple of possible answers. One, war is hell. Plain and simple. I am a Veteran. Until recently asking for help or showing weakness was just not done. Peer pressure to suck it up is strong. Also, the military just didn't have the resources in place to help returning soldiers. And they didn't want to acknowledge it either.

Please don't go nuts on me for this one. It is just my personal thoughts, not backed up by any actual hard data. Another cause is likely. The class or type of person enlisting now is different from when I was in. The military lowered their standards during the Iraq wars. These are all the "no kid left behind" generations. They wear helmets when they ride bikes and a million other reasons that make them less suited to the real world. People under 30 or so, in general, are softer and less capable to handle things - In my opinion. No disrespect meant, it's not their fault, it is just the way life is now.

I pray some time in the future we can properly debrief troops and not just dump them back into the world 5 days after they were shooting at someone. That we can properly recognize problems and get treatment for them before it comes to drastic actions and death.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Horrible reading your post- As a former us soldier in kosovo\irak you ruined my day. You have no idea what you are talking about so you should be saved by that.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Archirvion]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

This is a terrible story. You should appraoch press about getting your story out there. There are gonna be so many people out there in the same situation.

I will be honest and say that I have never backed any war but to use people in war and bring them home and leave on the scrap heap is a disgrace.

You really should get your story out. I am sure certain members of the press would be more than happy to highlight your issues. By doing this it might help you and help many like you.

I'm not in the forces but I lost my job at start of downturn. I have nothing left now. I have no hope left. No one is giving anybody without work any hope. We see them throwing silly amounts of money at banks and countries and yet the ordinary people are left with nothing. It gets very hard. It was only when I heard a local station discussing how suicidal people have become that you realise that you are not alone. No one has got a magic solution but just knowing there are people out there in the same and sometimes worse state than you, does help a bit. Just knowing you are not alone helps. Well it helped me a bit.

Sucide is a massive taboo in most countries and it should be discussed much more, especially in these times. Its terrible its effecting troops so bad but if you look at countries across the board the figures have gone through the roof with the economies crumbling. The press have generally being giving it a wide berth becuase they don't know how to deal with it.

best of luck to you and your family brother

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Sad but true.. The rates for suicide among combat vets have always been high. NEVER believe the damn VA . Went years ago seeking treatment for severe ptsd ended up banned for life from all VA facilities because according to the VA Im "too dangerous" . Ended up paying out of pocket to see a civilian doc - who helped alot and when he found out I couldnt afford his rates he didnt charge me. I left stateside years ago disgusted with it all.. Seems that nothings changed there in regard to how combat vets are accepted once theyre no longer of use.. Still no jobs, broken promises from the government and shoved aside by society.. to the vets dont give the bastards the satisfaction of killing yourself .. Drive on and make your own path in life it can be done .. Takes time and patience. Personally I will never return stateside Ive got a better life and more freedom here.. not worth giving your life up for the sanctimonious hypocrites there..

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
As a self-described “suicide jockey,” I have wrestled with the concept of suicide my entire life. I don’t fear death in the least, and in fact I embrace it.

One night as a teenager, I positioned the barrel of a rifle in line with my skull. As I began to apply pressure to the trigger, the clarity of the night sky suddenly amplified by what seemed to be a factor of ten. This sight caused me to release my finger from the trigger, and gaze into sparkling Milky Way with wonderment.

How could the sky be so radiant all of a sudden?

Although there was no one around, I suddenly heard a voice. It said my name and told me “Don’t kill yourself. You’re going to die someday anyway. Go through life from this point forward and live out your dreams!”

I put the rifle down.

About a week later, a synchronicity occurred. I crossed paths with a friend. We started talking and he told me about his plans to leave the “valley” and move to the beach where he had been raised as a kid. He was a surfer. He asked me if I would like to go too, we could get jobs, find a place to rent, he’d introduce me to his friends, and I could get into surfing.

I didn’t even hesitate, let’s do it I said.

A couple weeks later I found myself waking up in a small one room apartment, right next to the beach. It was a living dream, a whole new world, with the sweet smell of salt air and the magnificent sound of powerful waves pounding the earth. The seemingly overnight initiation into to that magical world of surfing, and the dawning of a new passion for life, was to this day my miracle, granted by what I believe to be a guardian angel.

Thank you, angel.

P.S. I am a veteran. The reason I originally enlisted in the USCG was pursue my death wish. I still struggle with the issue of suicide. What has kept me alive are thoughts of how my suicide would affect those who are close to me. In the end I refuse to do it, because it will ultimately hurt others.

For those who have chosen suicide and for their loved ones, my prayers go out to you. For those who are considering it, please think twice, and try to find a "dream" worth living for.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by seasoul]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Archirvion

How am i responsible for ruining your day? You must of taken what i said out of context.

I am on the side of all vets, and just naming a few possibles that could lead to suicidal thoughts. Everyone is made differently. Everyone is not the same.

and for my friend, that's what he told me.

[edit on 5/11/2010 by ugie1028]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Definitely relevant information, thanks for starting this thread. It's no mystery that war vets suffer from PTSD and sorts, but I never thought that almost 6k vets die from related causes.

The least the Army (and all branches) can do is to look into this ASAP, and hopefully not by throwing MORE pills at the vets and sending them to Walter Reed.

S and F.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by btyoung21

this thread is to make people more aware of the hell some soldiers face when they return from their tours. Hope more people wake up to this. I also hope all vets get the help they need if they are suffering with any kind of mental/physical trauma.

Thanks.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

The reason is the ether. A guy talk about it here. Its in french. In short, the ether is an energy everywhere, mainly in the space that fluctuate when there are planetary alignments. These fluctuations cause climate changes and behaviour changes on the planets within the alignment.

The author says its an ancient knowledge that allowed humans to survive calamities or the Floods. Some elite knew about this knowledge and erased it in the name of religion (perfect cover) so they would be the only ones to know about it and use it for their plan.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
6000 vets a year, it is hard to wrap your mind around such a tragedy.
Please understand that my heart is sicken by such an avoidable calamity, but as we all know there are true spirtiual laws, that cannot be ignored, at work here.
Let us all learn from this. A human cannot cause the suffering of another without consequences. You do reap what you sow. If you make a bad choice, you will suffer the result of your choice. This is unavoidable. What we choose to do in this life is so important that it follows us all of our days, and even into eternity. Choose Correctly.
Now hear this, these men and women have committed unspeakable acts, and they are suffering the result of their choice, but they did these acts in OUR name, do not think that we will escape the result of our common transgression.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Yes, there will be wars as long as people stay stupid and do what their leaders tell them to do.

I cannot believe how people believe these things, that they're fighting for freedom and blah blah. What a joke. Everybody knows that they're only there for money and power.

This will go on to the point when people really learn how to stick it to the evil-to-the-core think-thank elites. Superpower militaries are pure brainwashing, it makes you sick. In the head. Dehumanizing.

I feel sorry for the people who killed themselves. They shouldn't have gone in the first place.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Very sad. I hope this is not becoming another Vietnam(unless it already is) when hey demonized our soldiers and they came home only to spat on and hissed at. I come from a military family and am happy to knock some sense into anyone who brings down those willing to put their lives on the line for us.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I would be interested in knowing whether any of these vets were prescribed anything to deal with the issues that arise personally from the situations they encountered.

Please hear me out.
My good friend was in Afghanistan for a while.
He came back and showed me some pretty sicc videos
(i.e. In US kids youtube there sprees on Call of Duty. Over there kids videotape themselves taking out our soldiers . for real!)
My friend has told me many stories that were obviously rough, I listen and ask questions as a way to help him out, or try to.
So we were talking and he told me his Dr. prescribed him Valium and plenty of them, so many that he has half stored unused because it's just too many for him. So I did some research and found out that a side effect (especially for depressed people ... suicide) apparently it lessens the fears of committing the act.

"confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior;

unusual risk-taking behavior, decreased inhibitions, no fear of danger;

depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;"

Source: www.drugs.com...

Any thoughts???????

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Tragic and ugly.

I have posted a few times about this already.

Bottom line...we spend a huge amount of resources and time training these soldiers to function and operate in a Kill or be Killed envirornment.

It is a complete paradigm shift.

We spend virtually no resources preparing them to transition back to the real world.

This is the natural consequence.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

They commit suicide because they don not contribute to society. many sustained one injury and now live off our tax dollars! they are all war heros but there is more to life then just being in a war. If they were real heros they would get jobs and contribute to society. All i ever hear about veterans on TV is how their robbing my children of a future. They dont work or their always going to the hospital. In med school on rotations we see so many vets. Their disgusting and many dont even bathe. They try to get healthcare at a private hospital!!! that isnt even legal so their shoed away like flies. I havent met one yet that holds a job or became a lawyer or scientist after their tour. Many soldiers today are not spit on when they return so they are not depressed from that. I think many feel life passed them by and their missing out on life. Though many want to go to college they are often unable to finish. I saw many of these verteran types while in school and most couldnt handle the pressure or the competition. For heros they sure fell quick in the battle to get an education.

I think to stop the suicides they should be sent to camps and trained in a trade. Such as bussing tables, or being some kind of laborer. While there they could also receive a free education to give them self esteem and confidence so people love them again. They get no respect from successful people and we need to change that. In the camps they could learn how to be a real american and earn a living through work. That life isnt a series of free handouts, free housing, or free money. No soldier should get money once off the field but I always read about them getting checks still from the government. What if all the doctors just left work so we could sit around getting free money. I wonder which is more important??? hmmmmm thats an easy one. If our nation had no more doctors it would crumble. But if we had no more deadbeats they wouldnt be missed at all.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I think it's called Karma. We are fools in this World, and we do foolish things. Sometimes at the peril of our own soul, sometimes at the peril of innocent lives.

Putting yourself through your own hell comes back as karma. The inability to forgive yourself and others will eventually kill you one way or another.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

No the marine corps only really offered me a 2 week class called seps and taps to help do resume building and give info on job fairs and job interveiwing skills but at best it was mediocre. The also let us do terminal leave to either keep us on the pay roll so we arnt going to be completely broke to go home and enroll in school job hunt etc. traditionally that used to be good enough but as you know times have changed. Va benefiets are good but as I said before they are underfunded and understaffed so it takes alot of time for them to get around to get the ball rolling. But that is a good idea what the Aussies do that would probably work really great, lol it is strange that I think that if service members could always stay busy and work to the level they did in the service in the civilian sector I think that it would actually help with transitioning back to civilian life i remember just being on leave sometimes being so bored i didnt know what to do so the only answer was get drunk

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
More vets killed themselves last year than Iraqis and Afghanis combined.

Paints a pretty clear picture of who the "good guys" are doesn't it?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join