It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Oil Rig Should be Siezed Under Imminent Domain as threat to US Industry, Navy Should Fill Hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This oil disaster is causing millions, if not billions of dollars in damage to many industries along the coast, including the fishing and shrimping industries, which have been shut down entirely. At this point the oil slick is probably reaching the US Southern Coast as we speak. It will do an unknown amount of damage to the region for an unknown amount of years, but what we do know is that this is an oil spill of unprecedented size.

A Los Angeles Times article, called "BP weighting other options to stop oil leak" today said,

After failing in their attempt to funnel the oil leaking under the Gulf of Mexico with a 100-ton box, BP officials on Sunday were considering deploying a smaller container that might be less prone to clogging.
The plan was for the oil-and-water mixture to flow from the containment box through a pipe to the ocean's surface, where it would be collected inside waiting tankers.
The drilling of a relief well, which could take three months, was continuing.

Just a couple of questions and comments I have.

1. British Petroleum has clearly demonstrated that they are negligent and are unfit to handle this problem.

2. Why is BP digging a "relief well" in an area that has clearly demonstrated that it is prone to huge methane bubbles that cause these sorts of disasters?

Cited in the article,

This particular well, he (a worker on the well who wished to remain anonymous) said, "had a bad history of producing lots of gas."

3. This just seems like BP is more concerned about getting oil out of their well than actually stopping the problem, especially this part of the article:

The plan was for the oil-and-water mixture to flow from the containment box through a pipe to the ocean's surface, where it would be collected inside waiting tankers."

Acting immediately is necessary to prevent huge monetary losses for the affected region in the future. The United States Navy should drop a gigantic rock, or block of cement, or whatever humongous clogging mechanism they choose to use, and just clog the hole for good. Then they should bill British Petroleum for the materials and time. Even if BP can't pay for all of it, acting immediately will still save money for the country in the long term because it will save all of the industries that stand to take losses if little action is taken in three months. Clogging this huge spill will save us money in the future, assuming the environment is not already too damaged.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Albastion]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Here's a description of the size of the methane bubble in the article.

"When they opened the well is when the gas well kicked, and we took a humongous gas bubble up through the well bore," the worker said. "It literally pushed the seawater all the way to the crown of the rig, which is about 240 feet in the air."

Yet BP's current plan is to dig a relief well, presumably to relieve the pressure from the oil spilling out of this well. What happens if there is another bubble?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I dont know the soil composition, but It would be wise to considerer an explosion to close the breach. Dont have to be a nuke as some say, only at the right position (depth) to close it where the soil would crumble on top.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
i hadnt thought of this...but i like this idea ALOT.

heres the funny thing.....if someone had done this 'on purpose' it would be called terrorism or eco-terrorism and people would be biting their nails, pulling out their hair and going insane looking for a scapegoat. But since its simply an 'accident' by a money grubbing capitalist organization that has serious lobbying power and probly owns a few token politicians then we'll just have to bend over and take it in the a**. Cool huh?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
it is a major concern but im unconvinced as to the reason it happened.
after all this time they finally say it could be a large methane bubble... they would have known just after it happened but why wait to tell us.
i've got my suspicions...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ikonspyre

It's funny you say that, I made this thread in response to a conversation with a friend that I had. We both agreed that if terrorists had dug a hole in the middle of the ocean to leak oil out and attack our infrastructure, the US Navy would have handled it ASAP. Instead we are letting a (foreign) company handle it.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Couldn't they sink a huge ship over it?

Or a sub?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
i think they'll keep letting bp attempt to plug it but eventually it will be run and owned by an american company.
i wonder what caused the blow out preventer to fail or should i say who.
while investigating the cause they should list everyone who has stepped foot on the rig in the last few months. i smell something fishy.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
What do you mean, imminent domain? Isn't the BP rig in US waters?

To Albastion- Isn't methane being mined now? Why not apply those principles to drilling as well?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Albastion

Yep, that's what I've been saying the entire time. BP seems more intent on recovering the oil, than they seem on stopping the flow. We should kick BP out of there and stop the oil geyser ourselves.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

I gotta agree with you on this.

The Bigger Picture, of saving eco-systems, coastlines , should take number

one priority right now.

Get Whoever , from Wherever , in there to STOP this disaster.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
1)This leak is unprecedented. No company in the world is prepared for something like this.

2)Halliburton is as much, if not more responsible. I do not have a link with cemented facts, but I have seen multiple sources that claim haliburton has been involved in 18 of the 39 blowouts of this nature in the gulf of mexico.

however, no one wants to lay blame there. ANd why is that? They are an american company.

3)More government control is not the right answer. Period.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The idea given by this video of the gulf spill gives one great pause.

Have we just tipped the balance?

Is this spill the a huge tipping point?

www.liveleak.com...

At about two minutes it looked awful...listen to the genltman narrate concerning what he sees.

I believe the NAVY wants tobe called in to protect

[edit on 10-5-2010 by whiteraven]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I believe the reason why we agree to pay taxes to the government and allow them to govern over us at all is so they can protect us from disasters of a tremendous scale like this. I believe that if anyone can do this right now, the NAVY can. I do not trust a profit-driven corporation to handle this total environmental disaster, especially not one with a record like BP's. I wish someone would do something.

Watch the video. This literally could start turning the whole ocean red if it continues unchecked.

new topics

top topics

join