It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1940s Converse Originals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Sorry,didn't really know where to put this,so opted for skunkworks,Hope thats OK.

I just spotted an interesting blog post,concerning a pair of Converse"Skoots" trainers from the 1940s,complete with you guessed it swastika soles!

The blogger claims they sold on Ebay for $1825.00
I guess(and hope)they were designed with that sole so that the wearer could be treading the nazi symbol into the ground so to speak-rather than they were designed for closet nazis!

My only suspicion came when I noticed the soles are pretty un damaged,while the uppers look well worn.

That never happens with todays converse IMO(soft soles,one reason they are loved by Basket ball dudes,and skaters.)

What do you think real or fake?

anonymousworks.blogspot.com...

I think they may be legit.But who knows.
Thanks for looking folks.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
All I can go by is how every pair of Cons I have had showed wear.
By the time the upper fabric part looked as ragged as those do in the picture, the soles were worn down all to he!!
So my first instinct is to say hoax. Just my opinion though.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It's possible whoever had these only used them in the gym, like for basketball, or whatever, so they could have seen a lot of use but not on a surface that would have worn them down very much...

...or they could be fakes, somehow.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'm calling this one fake. No offense OP.

I found a few other blogs that had an article about these sneaks, but couldn't find any legit websites talking about these.

The lack of wear on the soles is very suspect imho.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by susp3kt]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
No offence taken folks!
Thanks for your replies,I was leaning towards potential fakes,due to the lack of sole wear as compared to top wear the same as you.

I could find no mention of the shoe (skoots)on the converse WIKI page,although I did find that the company did change path during WW2,switching from their Basketball base,to providing helpful items for the troops(as many companies did during the war).

When the United States entered World War II in 1941, Converse shifted production to manufacturing footwear, apparel, boots, parkas, rubber protective suits, and ponchos for pilots and troops. Widely popular during the 1950s and 1960s, Converse promoted a distinctly American image with its Converse Yearbook. Artist Charles Kerins created cover art that celebrated Converse's role in the lives of High School and College athletes, as the essential sports shoe. In the 1970's, Converse purchased the trademark rights to Jack Purcell sneakers from B.F. Goodrich.

en.wikipedia.org...

So that at least tells us they did make such shoes then,and we can speculate that they may have made a shoe with a nazi stomping sole for troops on leave,or in the gym etc.

Could have been a good morale booster if true.

(Pre WW2 the company became famous for its (still famous) "all stars" shoe,thanks to one Chuck Taylor,a BBall dude who helped market the shoe.)

And those "skoots" do look similar.

Maybe the name "skoot" is a clue.

Skoot the nazis out maybe?

Hmmm,still not sure...could be fake.wish we could trace the ebay sale,to find out more.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
A pair just sold on ebay for $2,800 USD. All black, with white stitching. They look almost identical to Chuck Taylor's from the same era, but it looks like that 'skoot' sign adds about 5 times the value over the 'Chuck Taylor' sign. I'd like to know the story behind them. I'ts like no one knows anything about them. A sneaker design that somehow over the years, slipped through the Converse timeline almost forgotten. It said in the listing that a major auction house, (probably sport related) sold a pair back in 2005, and it was only the second pair in 41 years. A very mysterious shoe, and apperantly worth a lot of money, nazi related or not. Searching Google for a week only pulls up two good hits: The Nazi pair, and the Mickey Mouse pair. From the looks of it, they seem to be about as rare as hens teeth. I wonder if the Converse champion of the world has a pair? Just a thought. cgi.ebay.com...
edit on 9-4-2011 by TheMatrixHasYou because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2011 by TheMatrixHasYou because: (no reason given)

top topics

join