It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anger over reality television 'virgin auction'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Anger over reality television 'virgin auction'

www.telegrap h.co.uk

An Australian documentary maker has convinced several young people to appear in a reality television programme in which they auction their virginity to the highest bidder.

e virgins will be paid $20,000 (pounds 12,000) each to take part in the auction and will also receive 90 per cent of their "sale price", according to a report in the Sydney Daily Telegraph.

Initial bids will be placed online
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This has to be a new low in the level of self-respect of people generally. I am less distressed about the folks who are putting themselves up for auction than I am the folks who would actually bid on it. Clearly there is something wrong with the folks who are willing to essentially place themselves in a meat auction and to the extent that you have the dough and are willing to pay for it to have a virgin, ranks you down at the bottom of the human food chain.

It also ranks you as a fool. How do you actually know the person is a virgin? I'm pretty sure that at least 99% of the folks who would do this are also quite comfortable lying.

Whats next? Auctioning the ability to mutilate someone? Pulling the switch on a legal execution?

On so many levels this is wrong and it is sanctioned prostitution, which I realize is legal in Australia and have no problem with, but the spectical of it is disgusting

www.telegrap h.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-5-2010 by dolphinfan]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Basically it will be like watching a car auction on the speed channel.

Doesn't bother me any, I won't be bidding or watching and they get a lot of money for something they would probably try and sell on Craigs list.

Best of luck to them.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well, it seems some have called it right.

The world is becoming obscene in its own decadence.

Well, when the morals of the world become THIS bad, what else is there to say.

Fire and brimstone.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
this is I'm afraid where society has taken us... to this kind of Lowest Common Denominator where our self respect and morals are just chucked out the window and common sense is replaced by dollar signs..

It's really quite sick.. I would have never auctioned off my virginity, I regret who I first lost it with, but it was a choice based upon love (or so I thought) not dollars..

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Is prostitution legal in Australia? Because that is what it is.

Pretty sad!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This might be sleazy and disgusting, but this is not something that is new or uncommon. Prostitution has been going on since the dawn of time and exists everywhere whether you want to admit it or not. "Virgin" prostitutes have also been highly prized since the dawn of time and have received top dollar.

If there is anything new about this story, it is that prostitutes have turned to another medium to advertise. If it upsets you that prostitutes are now using television to advertise, it could be worse. They could be advertising the old fashioned way by strutting their "wares" on the street corner near your home, your child's school, a playground, or a church.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Probably see in the future a reality show based on the Death Penalty. Maybe bid to be "the one that throws the switch: or pushes the plunger or drops the body from the scaffold! God I hate reality shows. Nothing but a bunch of plastic, self absorbed, morons, looking for their 15 minutes of elusive fame!
Zindo

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Yes we do have legal prostitution in Australia and wouldn't want it any other way as it keeps the women safe. This show may be distasteful but I think its great. If someone wants to get paid for virginity its a hell of a lot better than giving it away for free to some douche bag as many people do. Its just a good expression of living in a free Country. Please don't hate on me too much lol

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
And we are supposed to be the most intelligent species on this planet.

Bunch of selfish, greedy, instant gratification seeking, overindulging termites is what we are.....

[edit on 10-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BungleX
Yes we do have legal prostitution in Australia and wouldn't want it any other way as it keeps the women safe. This show may be distasteful but I think its great. If someone wants to get paid for virginity its a hell of a lot better than giving it away for free to some douche bag as many people do. Its just a good expression of living in a free Country. Please don't hate on me too much lol

People should really blame those girls who have volunteered to sell their virginity.It's not a good sign though, young men will have to take out a loan to pop one in future.

Can men auction off their virginity too?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
if there was somthing like running man would watch it and enjoy it. I wundt bid for virginity but i would watch it.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Sounds like free-market capitalism to me.

The virgins have a unique commodity that has high demand. They are selling it for top dollar to give themselves a good start in life. Just because they are selling it once doesn't mean they will continue to do so.

It's their bodies, their virginity, and their choice. How can any believer in capitalism deny that it is the smart choice, the right choice, in a capitalist society?

How is it less "moral" than what corporations do?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm not surprised by this, but I'm surprised the bunny ranch hasn't already done this on the Cat house series. My only interest in reality T.V. is to see how it takes before it becomes like the gladiator games of ancient Rome.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well this just says it all....
"Technically I'm selling my virginity for money, technically that would be classified as prostitution, but it's not going to be a regular thing, so in my head I can justify that I'm not going to be a prostitute," she told the paper.

Priceless!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

That is terrible news, and I am sorry to hear that. The blame can go three ways: First, to the idiot who decided to capitalize on this. He is making profit on females who decide to "sell" their virginity! Second, to the girls desperate enough to get paid to sell something that is very special (in some people's eyes anyways) and third, the fools who are sick enough to buy it! What if it's some disgusting male that the female doesn't want to lose her virginity to, but has to because it's the highest bid? If she refuses, what's the point of the show then?

It's a stupid idea, but the even stupider part is I don't doubt many people on ATS will rush to the idea's defence stating that "it's their choice" and "their bodies, they can do what they want" and all this liberal BS. Sure, it is their bodies, but it doesn't make it right. I believe many people on ATS have lost common sense and replaced it with the notion of "free will".

The world doesn't know what morales are anymore. ATS follows suit I'm afraid.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Rich old men must be having a good time in australia.

Well you see this is what happens when religion gets ditched.

Looking forward to the more secular future.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BungleX

Oh yes, so much better. Instead of giving it away for free to some "douchebag" they can sell it the highest bidding "douchebag".

What if the highest bidder turns out to be an 85 year old man slavering over the chance to de-frock some young chick? Still think it's great?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ineedmeds

I think I read somewhere the bunny ranch does virgin auctions online.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BungleX

I think legalization is the way to go in the US. Prostitution will always go on, whether or not it is legal. It is best to legalize it, regulate it and tax it. That way the bad aspects of prostitution can be minimized like: the spread of diseases, the exploitation of underage girls and people who cannot otherwise freely consent to prostitution, and abusive pimps.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join