It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Atheists!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
I don't see how you can believe in the supernatural and not believe in God.

I guess it depends on what you define as "God." I see God as being "ALL" and not some guy with a beard in heaven deciding who gets chocoale ice cream for dessert. God is everything. There is nothing that God isn't.

If you admit that supernatural events are part of our reality, then you are admitting that our reality is more than what it is generally accepted by science----and is "beyond natural."

If you admit that something "beyond-natural" can exist, then you are saying that there is a possibility that something exists beyond our collective knowing. If God is everything (and I hate using the term "God" because it carries with it too many icons and symbolism), then God is part of what you deem "beyond natural."

God or "All" may exist whether or not you believe in it. Your belief does not change it or negate it, it just changes you. If I am hiding a marble in my pocket, just because you don't know it's there---doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If you wanted irrefutable proof of an "All's" existence, how would you demand that it show up? There are no irrefutable ways because there is no such thing as objectivity; that is, complete objectivity. Once again, everything that's experienced is experienced by you, and you may experience it any way you wish because it is experienced through the filter that is you. You may experience it differently from the way I'm experiencing it, therefore, everything I say is refutable by someone else.

What if God chose a human icon to present himself as, landed on the White House lawn in a chariot and said, "I am God!" The Muslims would say, "That is not God! He doesn't look Muslim!" The Catholics would say, "That is not God! He doesn't look like Jesus!" The Government would lock him up and through away the key. Everyone would argue over whether or not that was God. How could God best present himself? In a way that EVERYBODY would believe? Obviously, there is no perfect way.

God is not a person. He is just "All." The energy and the force behind life. Look at your life as a snow globe. We are living here within a snow globe and reality (the "All") is everything outside of that, never ending, and always.

I saw a ghost once when I was 19 years old. Scared the he** out of me. Just because YOU didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen, and doesn't mean that ghosts don't exist.

Look up Daoism. You may like what you find.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
No offense, but atheism isn't scientifically credible. Science has done nothing to disprove the existence of God or Supernaturals. So a firm belief in there NOT being a God is about as cemented as a firm belief in there BEING a God.

Unfortunately for science, faith does not subscribe to the scientific process and thus is allowed to be whimsical and vague. (Take it for what it is.)

Atheism opts for a more rational and firmly grounded affirmation. But, at the end of the day, atheism is merely a personal opinion.

Science, as it stands now, would be inherently agnostic. Until further notice.

Anything explained by science, as it stands, can also be explained with the backing of "supposed" Supernatural factors.

Let it be known that if science were to find God, it would merely reduce the vague explanations of faith into more complex syntax. Which would more than likely translate to the same thing.

------------------

In the world we live in, especially with science progressing by leaps and bounds everyday. A multiversal spectrum of possibility laying beyond the threshold with new age science proclaiming infinite worlds and configurations. The possibility of world were a sufficiently advanced race/being/civilization/culture/society/etc. has harnessed the ability to craft worlds from scratch.

My point being that it is still too early to LOGICALLY settle on any one side of the fence. By SCIENTIFIC standards, there isn't enough data to yield a definitive conclusion.

However; because FAITH does not operate by the scientific process, it does not make itself out to be as contradictory as ATHEISM does.

----------

Nothing wrong with believing either if you don't impose on anyone.

But yeah, realize it is only opinion.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I guess my beliefs range all across the board. I believe that all kinds of unnatural, supernatural, and ethereal things move through our Universe.

I don't necessarily consider them to be spirits (in the New Age sense), or demons and angels (like the monotheists), or gods and devils (like the polytheists). I think they're just there.

Probably just remnants of consciousness, emotions, or our electro-magnetic energy. I try not to think about it too hard. Obviously a realm like that is beyond corporeal reality, so why waste my time fretting over if I visit it in my dreams or not?

When it comes to an omniscient Creator - absolutely not. If there was a Creator... He, She, It would have made damn sure us retarded humans got it right.

We wouldn't have Islam and Christianity and Judaism and Hinduism and paganism and polytheism and Kemeticism, and Jainism and Baha'i and Voudun and all the others.

The Creator would've said "ENOUGH!" and just punished those of us that were wrong in the past 10 million years we've been crawling around on this planet.

As for my personal beliefs; I've always considered myself to be a Buddhist. Something about the focus and self-discipline required really speaks to me.

The blend between ascetic values and self-fulfillment also calls out to me. I don't believe in casting away everything, but too much of anything can make that particular thing a bad thing.

And as one more bit, I don't believe in an eternal, unchanging soul either, as most religious doctrines teach. Everything about us is in a constant state of change, so why would our soul — if it exists at all — be any different?

Buddhism teaches that your soul too changes, if you even have one at all.

That's just me though.

Good topic Misoir.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SentientBeyondDesign
No offense, but atheism isn't scientifically credible. Science has done nothing to disprove the existence of God

Science has done nothing to disprove the non-existence of god, so god must not exist..

PS. Science can't prove a negative. Science still hasn't proven that there are non pink unicorns.. It hasn't proven that SentientBeyondDesign hasn't shat gold nuggets before. Science hasn't proven that zeus doesn't exist, either, or poseidon, or any other greek god.

See, your argument is really just an excuse to embrace a delusion. It's akin to a paranoid schizophrenic saying "just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me."

It's okay to believe in a delusion, because science hasn't bothered to check every corner of the universe for this mysterious god fellow -- to see if he's hiding somewhere? I think not.

Sorry to be Buzzkillington, but you have to grow up sometime.. or not, I dunno. Have fun believing whatever it is you believe. Just don't bring that superstitious nonsense into anything important in life.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I used to think I was an atheist as I was growing up until I realised that too was just another belief system and most probably a reaction against religious dogma. A belief that something does not exist is still just a belief and one that has no backing to prove it. I've heard the atheist argument that you can't prove a negative, whilst a true statement does not really wash with me. If you're making a claim then back it up with fact.

I try to have no beliefs, rather an evolving understanding of the world around me. It just seems the most logical stand point for me. Why start with a belief then try to shoehorn information to fit with it.

I think letting go of our belief systems will be necessary in the future if we want to avoid self-destruction as a race.

So I guess that makes me an Agnostic. The idea of some kind of creative force may one day be proven or disproven but until then I'm comfortable in accepting that I just don't know.

The truth is still the truth regardless of what any of us believe.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Namaste1001]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I think letting go of our belief systems will be necessary in the future if we want to avoid self-destruction as a race.

In the past, Someone says to me:"Smaller your beliefs, higher you see." And its truth, If I open my mind without eny judgement, and if my spiritual inheritance is my pathway I would be ready to see or experiment such unknowable and unebelievable mysteries.

Thats why I agree with you

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join