It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gordon Brown steps down.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pablos
While everyone is talking about a "hung Parliament", I was listening to the radio the other day and heard an interview with the leader of the Scottish National Party (sorry can't remember his name) in which he referred to it as a balanced Parliament.

I like the idea of calling it that rather than a hung one, at least in theory.

Yes, the phrase strikes me as a bit of modern media coinage, but I can't prove it. I wonder what phrase they were using in the 1920's- it happened a couple of times then.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
People seem to forget what clegg, brown and cameron were saying to each other before election night?
How can they possibly trust eachother? They cant and wont!!
Brown is a scape goat here, although he seems to have not done well, i take my hat off to him. Tony Blair is the one fingers should have been pointed at.
Cameron is the current record holder as being the biggest penis in the world and completely fake. Clegg was a media hyped figure, in order to get more public interested in an absolute fiasco. Need proof? Just look at the actual seats they got and then look at the predicted in the polls. Absolute sham....
Why not just have a new Vote?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I personally have had quite enough of this complete and utter bollocks.

We need an open inquiry into the shambles at the election, (I understand this has already started).

We need an inquiry into alternative election methods and parliamentary reform including different types of PR, abolition of the party system, increased use of referendum's etc.

But we need a government in place immediately to deal with the issues that are facing us now.

If Clegg continues in his self-apponited role of some sort of modern day Kingmaker then Cameron, as much as I dislike the smug prick and his evil party, should take the bull by the horns and demand the right to form a minority government.

Barring any calamities, he should then be granted a year to govern the country before another election.

This will give the UK stable leadership which we need.
It will give Cameron an opportunity to show his leadership qualities and the 'benefits' of his policies etc.
New Labour can elect their new leader and try to show how effective and responsive they are.
Clegg can prove he is more than aone trick pony and try to effecy policy in a positive way,Cameron will still need help etc.

We could also decide what electoral and parliamentary reform is required, if any.

This prolonged bartering is doing the nation no good.

The only person gaining from it is Brown, a man who lead his party to a crushing defeat!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
People seem to forget what clegg, brown and cameron were saying to each other before election night?
How can they possibly trust eachother? They cant and wont!!
Brown is a scape goat here, although he seems to have not done well, i take my hat off to him. Tony Blair is the one fingers should have been pointed at.
Cameron is the current record holder as being the biggest penis in the world and completely fake. Clegg was a media hyped figure, in order to get more public interested in an absoluite fiasco. Need proof? Just look at the actual seats they got and then look at the predicted in the polls. Absolute sham....
Why not just have a new Vote?

Couldn't have put it better myself
In my view i think that Brown done all he could, our country is a mess and I don't think anyone can save us now

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

I can't speak on too much authority but it is relatively new as far as I know. To be honest I have only heard the term since the elections in Tassie.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Gordon Brown in the end was bullied, I will stand up right now and say "We Will" see something of this because i think that all of this, and i mean "all" is all part of a plan. I believe he was set up regarding the calling some woman who just happened to be a pensioner a bigot. I think the woman was pre orchestrated whether or not she knew about it. I also say they set him up regarding his words been caught on tv? People may want to look back at it and really listen? Why was the bloke in the car with him keeping his voice down? He was in the car? Blacked out windows? Or was it so that "we" the public dont hear him leading the conversation? Everything if you look at it again, says
Set up, maybe a strong word but the only alternative is that theres something else brewing. Its getting dragged out.
They were all quite happy being nice and friendly to the public and grasped every chance to grab the camera and speak, but now? Total opposite its ridiculous. Theyve filled us with the # and now show their true colours. Ignorant hypocrites. Not even tell us whats going on. They look at the public?
Theyve forgot their old arse now theyve got a new one?
Im telling you, Disaster here.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
This is surprising, I wonder what President Obama and D.C have to say about this. Who's going to take his place? How does that work?

Some tart does the nasty and 9 months latter the next PM pops out with a beard and
a briefcase ready to go!!!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Yes it has draged out far to long now, it does make it look like something is going on behind closed doors! And why not have another vote as there were so many people that did not get to cast there vote!!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The story is Gordon Brown is going to step down, he has not done so yet, the response given are, the Lib Dems can not get the Tories to agree to some terms deemed necessary for the well being of the country, like Electoral reform, the Tories will not agree to it, which is what we all knew anyhow, the Tories are not interested in change just more of the same Thatcher ism we suffered back in the 80's.

Cameron was a Thatcher cronie, he was always seen following behind her at different events as a Junior Tory (being taught the ropes for the future?)

The Lib Dems want reform for our Political system, they are actually listening to what the people want, and they hold all the cards right now.

Brown is unelected, he was not voted as Leader of the Labour Party, and unelected in a General Election, it looks like part of the agreement for support for Labour to stay in Government is for Brown to agree to go, which he has, they had several secret meetings over the weekend, and most of the Lib Dems do not agree with Tory policies, just the fact Cameron wont agree to reform or a referendum on the matter has pissed many people off big time, especially since a lot of MP's where caught thieving from the people.

IMO this is the best thing which could have happened, a leadership election, my hope is Harriet Harman does not get to lead.

We wanted change and thanks to the small Party's we are going to get it, they do not have a choice, even though the Tories won most seats, the constitution gives the Standing Government the right to remain if they can get the other party's to support them, Brown should never have been Prime Minister, there should have been a leadership election and then a General Election right after.

It was like a coup without a single shot being fired, and it's about to be put right.

I just wonder what part the Queen has had to play in all this, maybe she threw a hint or two she would not give permission for the Tories to form a Government until what the people wanted was taken into account, which Cameron seems to be making clear he is not willing to do.

This is what makes Britain Great, the people get their way in the end, I can see a pull out of Afghanistan coming soon after this is all settled, enough is enough.

Early 2011 I can see the first of the withdrawals happening, an end to the false terror war,we have so many new MP's there has to be a change.

[edit on 10/5/2010 by azzllin]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

I admire your optimism, I'm afraid I'm a tadge too long in the tooth and far too cynical to feel the same.

Whatever happens will be at the behest of TPTB and what WE, THE PEOPLE, want will be irrelevant no matter how much spin they put on it.

We need something far more radical than what they will allow for us to get real and accountable representation in parliament.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I can but live in hope, it would be wonderful if something good came from it, you are right about TPTB, I hope somewhere along the line we took them by surprise.

To be totally honest the turn out blew me away, I think it took everyone by surprise.

Do you think there will be a lot of calls for recounts? or will they just let it be?

I really cant express how much it surprised me when I heard people where refused their vote, it happened here in Liverpool in my old district, perhaps this will give them a reason to bring in computer voting, maybe that is what they wanted from the start, I certainly have never heard of it happening before not anywhere near this scale anyhow, I know people have been turned away for being late, I heard yesterday there was a station where the staff decided to remain open for an extra 30 minutes, the guy who made that decision is now facing disciplinary action, I don't know how true it is, but he tried to do the right thing.

You are right though I am probably dreaming again lol, hoping for the nightmare to finally end.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

As usual it will take direct action to get anything, and then it get's clawed back bit by bit.

But unfortunately those who are prepared to take action are ostracised whilst the majority are satisfied with their dumbed down diet of X-Factor, Match Of the Day and a bottle or two of Lambrini safe in the knowledge that they did their bit by voting.

Extreme?
Maybe, but that's how disgusted with them all at the moment.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Blair fled the scene once allegations about the illegal Iraq war came towards him, Brown felt he was strong and decisive enough to take up the challenge but came along several crisis' in which he did not act fast or decisively thus leading to his downfall. He made the wise move of stepping down but could of done it a little early to save himself some dignity, politicians here in the U.K seem to be immune from getting charged by the police for their crimes and to be quite frank politics here at the moment are a shambles. Hopefully Cameron and Cleggs cabinets will be more legit and less cunning. I thought we were supposed to hear the outcome of the Iraq enquiry a week before the election? does anyone know when it's been postponed until or is Blair buying time with his wealth to save his ass?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The only way would be to hold another vote. This is a sham.
If libs side with labour there will be riots considering they came below the cons.... If the libs side with the cons. riots and financial collapse. I`ll be suprised if anything is sorted today. I still think it is a fix and orchestrated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join