It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gordon Brown steps down.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Gordon Brown has set in motion his stand down. He also has said talks have begun between Labour and the Lib Dems. Things getting really interesting now.
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
wow your fast because im hearing this on the radio for the first time right now.
well done.
doesn't mean to much for uk now that labour are out.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
am glad to see the back of him, tho who will Mandy support now? Milly????
*shakes head in despair at the quality of leadership this nation has*

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Have to say I'm glad to see the back of him. I can't see a lib - lab pact though, even without Gordon. It seems the mathamatics are still going to work against them. Still makes things a little moreinteresting

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Have to say I'm glad to see the back of him. I can't see a lib - lab pact though, even without Gordon. It seems the mathamatics are still going to work against them. Still makes things a little moreinteresting

Am utterly relieved, even the film-makers didn't want him, they had all the Political lookalikes for 2012 even Queenie but no Gordo.. Shows he didn't even have a good side they could use

It certainly makes it more interesting... I especially like how the EU backup bailout gets released now and co-incidentally relieves pressure on the Stirling... bet there are lots of deals going on behind closed doors right now... Merkel was quite clear about how the EU would view Cameron.. wonder what deals will be done there...

If Labour had not told some many lies to get us into war (not to mention the Dr David Kelly murder/death/kill) I am sure there would be ground between Labour and LibDem.. but considering Labour also dropped a promised referendum.. I really think they need to look closely at their leadership if they are to get back into a viable position again.

That said, if the Tories and LibDem do form some kind of Gov, they are risking being out in the cold for a generation if the pain is only half what people expect it to be.

Interesting times indeed... my only wish right now is Vince Cable Gets in No11, but really doubt that will happen.. Am waiting with baited breath at the next twist in the plot.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This is surprising, I wonder what President Obama and D.C have to say about this. Who's going to take his place? How does that work?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This country needs a stable government. A Lab/Lib/SNP/Plaid Cymru coalition would be about as stable as a chair balanced on a pin during an earthquake and nuclear holocaust. As hard as it is too accept it is going to have to be a Tory government....Hopefully one that is to be voted out in the next election.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
[edit on 10-5-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well, once Gordon Brown stands down, that means that a deal must have been met, because in a hung parliament the current prime minster stays prime minster until they find someone who can take his place.

But none the less i am very very glad to see the back of him, he wasn't even voted in and totally f***ed us over.... Thanks Gordon!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ibex08

No strong, stable government coming, no way, as weak as they come, more squabbles on the horizon, as if they aren't here already, replacing one bunch of crooks for another. In fact, no change. Pathetic, really.

mclinking

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It's too late anyway, He should have gone ages ago... the last time his own party members tried to oust him.

He has been a terrible Prime Minister, Perhaps the worst.

But as for the new government, I really don't know.

I really Hope That the Libs don't join with the Con's..... But I can't see a lib/Lab coalition either, Just don't think Labour have anyone who can lead the party at the moment.

And if it was and a Labour member was chosen as PM, that would be 2 unelected PM's we've had.... Not good, And I think Clegg knows that and Is mindful that the public would be pissed off...

BUT not as pissed off as they'd be if the Lib-Dems sided/formed a government with the Tories.... It's a crazy situation man, and one that really is very interesting and dare I say exciting??

We shall see soon.

[edit on 10/5/10 by blupblup]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ibex08

You do not have to be voted in to be Prime Minister in our system. You vote for a party who then recieve a majority and the PM comes out of this. Many Prime Ministers have been 'non-elected'.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I assure you, what Obama thinks about it is the least of our concerns here in the UK.

Whatever happens it is imperative that whoever is the next Prime Minister he needs to concentrate on domestic issues rather than trying to be seen as some sort of International Statesman as Bliar tried.

I think it is was inevitable that Brown was going to resign at some point.

I actually think he has acted quite homourable in the wake of Labour's defeat.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I really wish people would stop bringing up this unelected Prime Minister nonsense.
13 of the last 23 PM's were unelected.

Wedon't vote for President's like the USA etc.

Really, what is people's problem with this, there are far bigger issues at stake!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
You all want to watch sky news. Did you just see Nick Clegs statement?
At the end before camera was done he turned around and said will that do? as if he wasnt bothered anyway. Somethings amiss here. Also has anyone not noticed how this is getting dragged out?
I reckon at this rate it will be after thursday.......Pope?......Fatima?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I assure you, what Obama thinks about it is the least of our concerns here in the UK.

Whatever happens it is imperative that whoever is the next Prime Minister he needs to concentrate on domestic issues rather than trying to be seen as some sort of International Statesman as Bliar tried.

I think it is was inevitable that Brown was going to resign at some point.

I actually think he has acted quite homourable in the wake of Labour's defeat.

I agree, I have many problems with Gordon, but he does seem to be doing what is best for the nation. I actually think out of all the leaders, he is probably the one most capable of dealing with the financial crisis. Still he had to go.

Who will be next?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Clegg is a complete twat!

He is either playing along to some pre-ordained script or he is just trying to enhance his own personal profile.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Got to agree.

After Vince Cable there isn't another politician I would feel comfortable about looking after the economy other than Brown.

Unfortunately he came across as a weak and indecisive leader at a time when we needed strong, open and decisive leadership.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
While everyone is talking about a "hung Parliament", I was listening to the radio the other day and heard an interview with the leader of the Scottish National Party (sorry can't remember his name) in which he referred to it as a balanced Parliament.

I like the idea of calling it that rather than a hung one, at least in theory.

The idea is that then you have a nice balance stopping any of this business where your P.M. say decides that he should involve the country in a foreign conflict with more important issues he should be dealing with. If he has the support of HIS party in a majority government, they pretty much go. If he has HIS party support on the floor but his comrades in the "balanced Parliament" don't want it, he will inevitably be shot down.

Of course this could work the other way, where every piece of legislation is bickered over and debated until a point is reached where the Parliament is literally "hung" and chokes the life out of every law before it even gets raised.

We have just the other month had the same situation with the Tasmanian state elections, and I think both in this current age could be very interesting experiments indeed.

Time will tell.

Cheers,
Pablo

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by jazz10

Clegg is a complete twat!

He is either playing along to some pre-ordained script or he is just trying to enhance his own personal profile.

He's in a difficult situation in my opinion. he's inbetween a rock and a hard place.

Go with Torries and lose the one thing the lib dems have been campaigning since it's inception, that of electoral reform, also risk losing your core support who voted Liberal to stop the Torries.

Go with Labour and your seen as propping up the losing party and still not being able to get a majority.

The Libs should go with Labour as they are far closer ideologically than the Torries.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join