It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for ATS members - Facebook or "Conspiracy" Book?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I of course would use "TinBook"

I would not abandon Facebook-
it serves a different purpose.

I welcome fb integration into ATS

To those who lament FB privacy disregard-
I sort of laugh...

As a conspiracy theorist, I believe that the NSA, CIA, FBI etc are tracking all ATS members web activity...

In other words, privacy is dead already (Patriot Act is the best named propaganda branding ever as it is an Act that defiled the freedoms of the USA)

one piece of advice...

Try to use ATS 2.0 when it launches and make TinBook simply a component WITHIN the ATS infrastucture... You already spent the money to connect to FB- tweak it so that connection is such that ones FB account, if connected to ATS 2.0, BECOMES their "TinBook" account in ATS space... you just rebrand it here...

And lastly- do not call it TinBook-
I do much branding- there are 12 better names...

HDF

/:/:/:/:/:/

link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Bill, you don't know me from Adam. So my opinion may not matter. But i will tell you that I am fairly successful in business, and do not speak here from a position of abject ignorance....

....never, ever tie the health of your enterprise to the health of another. Hard coding in tie ins with FB would be a monumental folly on the part of this fine site.

You have a good start with ATS Media. Can you not tweak it to offer up your own social networking alternative?

BTW, i hope you saw my suggestion about the avatar size. The new site is really cool, but the avatar layout makes me scroll for way too long.

link   
I'm still active on Facebook, even though I'm aware that their privacy policies are a complete violation of our privacy. It's just such an easy way too stay in touch with family and friends. But it's freaky how 1984ish the world is getting. On FB, everyone are posting their every move, career info, even thoughts and feelings, and FB are selling it to the highest bidder.

So I'd love an Above alternative, and I constantly consider getting off FB. Nice OP, SO, F 2 U

link   
I say no to Facebook integration. I think Facebook integration brings down the integrity of sites like this. People who really want to share on Facebook will do so anyway if they are involved enough but it opens the floodgate for a bunch of nonsense and MSM believing "us vs them" people to flood in and spread their uneducated propaganda that they learned through hearsay.

The idea of creating an ATS geared social networking site is an amazing idea. It would be nice to have an easier way to interact with the community on a more personal level. We don't need those Facebook people anyway, haha.

Just my two cents...

link   
I would prefer a 'Facebook' style alternative than actually utilizing Facebook. I would not abandon Facebook. I would do what I do now. Keep my sites separate. Very interested to see what you decide on.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Here is another idea I have, as far as social interaction for ATS members.

How about local chapters of ATS, with meetings or monthly happy hours?

(I know, I know....lots of paranoids will say they will be crashed by government operatives, etc...but I highly doubt they are really that interested in us!)

For example, I really don't know a lot of people in my group of friends who think like me. In fact, I don't know anyone who thinks like me. It can get kind of frustrating.

My liberal friends are frustrated because there aren't enough liberals in my state, and I'm frustrated because I can't find enough people who think BEYOND politics in my state.

So, I guess, all I'm saying is that I think it would be fun to have local "meetups" or happy hours, or something similar, with local chapters of ATS.

I don't care about keeping my identity secret, because I'm not planning on overthrowing the government or anything. I just enjoy stimulating conversations every now and then, and I'd love to have these stimulating conversations with others in person, rather than sit in front of computer.

Just an idea!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I have recently stoped useing facebook for privicy concerns, I would welcome this new type of "book" if in fact it is indeed more secure, etc.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
facebook was invented by people for people who had a hard time socializing and using microsoft messenger , icq or irc wich offer the same service.

and people who use facebook or twitter or any other medium for promting their daily activities should just buy a mirror and diary and just sit in front of the mirror start writing in the diary.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I am laughing at people who say an integration would bring down the integrety of this site.

There could also be an influx of very intelligent, and well thought out people who might actually be a boon to the site, who learn about it from Facebook.

Fresh ideas are always a good thing.

People who have an interest in conspiracies will find there way here sooner or later, anyway.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Facebook seems to have violated the first law of the internet to
remain hidden or anonymous as much as possible.

And I see Yahoo and others trying to do the same with profile pages
and networking attempts.
Sure young net programmers have been setting up sites.
Let me see. AOL, GeoCities, CDNOW, Napster, and the like vie
for a payout from unwitting investors.
Now Facebook and the like are taking their turn to grab the numbers.

I don't see how ATS can fail in attracting site viewers cause nothing
sells or warrants attention like mystery.

Sure the net wise put in phony names for their emails just
for that purpose. On net forums that is why email address has been hidden.

For me if someone finds out something about me on the net I would
hope to pin point the leak and call in some plumbers.
Doing business on the net should allow one to use their own name
in the email but otherwise its not wise.

If ATS can make views into profit thats to our advantage and for those
that gossip (social networking) it might be better to take it elsewhere.

ED: Twitter seems to attract people selling things. I got a lot of people
connected to travel and airlines following me.

ED: Perhaps there is an ego trip involved. So FB inventor hit on that
human frailty. What was wrong with emails and free web pages to
communicate with friends and family. Searches were avoided by
robot.txt and no one could find you.

[edit on 5/10/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The level of paranoiia on this thread astounds me. Not really its ats.

So to deny my own ignorance can somepne please give me some specific examples of facebook privacy concewrns> Specifically why you feel you have a right to privacy in the situation outlined?

otherwise I do not understand the fear and paranoia. All I hear are vague privacy concerns. Um if its private it should not be on the internetz.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I have a FB page and I have considered completely abandoning it if it wasn't for family and friends all over the world as it is a great way of keeping contact. I have never really had concerns over privacy before but with all the critical articles over the last year I have been quite active in protecting my privacy. I don't tell people that I am on ATS, as I feel that it is my business, and I would like to keep it that way.

It is quite a well known fact that .gov is watching us, here on ATS so I would dread to be part of a Social Networking system where we can interact both with our "Civilian" Friends and ATS "Comrades". I think it would cause many more problems and could potentially put some of us in danger. You know, being a Conspiracy Nut 'n all.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I shun and stay away from everything Facebook-related.
Hope that answers your question, if ATS came down with Facebook hysteria like the rest of the internet I'd run for the hills.

It's pure evil.. or at the very least very annoying.

Forcing me into a social contract which exposes all my relationships, comments, likes, dislikes, answers to quizzes into a huge database that is readily available to any shady douchebag worldwide. No thanks.

And keeping contact? God that's awful, if I wanted some distant relative or friend to be a part of my life they'd be that without having to send me stupid chain-e-mails or pictures of fluffy kittens.
Facebook is just another layer of stress and social responsibility, always being connected and available. Never a quiet moment.. I already loathe cell phones but this is a new level, what's next? I'll tell you, me moving into a furnished cave with wireless internet connection.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by TheLaughingGod]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Well, FB will track the sites you have been to, and will leak that to third Parties. Your behavior is monitored and that Info is passed on to third parties. It is not just what you post but what you do.

blog.taragana.com...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
About 15 years ago I decided to stop living like a monk and join society. I know quite a bit about computers from working at 3 major companies associated with internet "security" and internet backbone so it's VERY obvious there is no such thing as security; only the guise and feeling of security.

At some level every single thing that touches any computer that has access to the internet is hackable, readable, accessible - it's that simple.

I'm on Facebook simply because the knowledge bases that are being built are just part of our society and I feel the powers that be will get our information some way or another - and quite easily. Whether I live in fear of sharing my information or do so happily is sort of irrelevant to what information is out there, I just choose to not worry about it and be happy.

I do draw a very strict line at certain things I put on Facebook - I never put info such as my child's daycare, when I'll be out of town, where I am, etc. Even though some of that's easily tracked by my cell phone it's not common knowledge to most people.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I say go with Conspiracy book...not only because of privacy concerns but also the fact that job-seekers are routinely subjected to "facebook searches" by potential employers. They could use facebook in a not so nice way to deny or even fire people. And don't say that they can't do that legally. My ex was in HR they do alot of things in regards to hiring and firing that aren't exactly legal.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Well, FB will track the sites you have been to, and will leak that to third Parties. Your behavior is monitored and that Info is passed on to third parties. It is not just what you post but what you do.

blog.taragana.com...
So? How does that effect me in any way, negatively? Is that something I should fear? Why is that a big deal? Data mining went on before the internet. I used to do it for a living for a short period, way before the net. It involved a love a reading and cheap gas. That is called enterprise isnt it?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Sorry, I have no interest.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Anyone who follows my posting history on ATS knows I am not in favor of overly intrusive or restrictive laws of any kind being imposed on us by the Federal Government, however…

I do believe it should be a Federal Capital Crime punishable by death for anyone over the age of 25 to have a Face Book Page!

I further believe that there should be a similar law, making it equally punishable for anyone over the age of 25 to have to Text Message anyone ever on a cellular phone, or receive text messages ever, where a reply is expected on Cellular Phones.

In fact I am so adamant about these two things, I believe they should be the only laws that the Federal Government has!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I think it will be popular at first but die quickly.

I don't believe I would use it. I don't FB now.

But, I am behind the Tech times so if you did go with the Tinbook, I would try it at least. I won't even consider FB for all the reasons already posted.

I would like to say thank you though, for seeking ATS members input. I think it is a true testiment of the site owner/runners dedication to the ATS members. I almost fear you ask for too much that we'll make it too complicated. lol.

But, rather have more and peel back if need be than not to have tried at all.

looking forward to all the new stuff! WHEN?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join