It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for ATS members - Facebook or "Conspiracy" Book?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Well, I have not used my Facebook page for months. Have not shut it down, but really no longer use it.

As for linking to it, I would not. If anything would probably use one of my other eight anonymous Facebook pages.

Data mining is serious. Heck, YouTube is trying to link to my other sites now. I am beginning to think there is a CT in there. The further linking of one site to another site seems to be the standard protocol for sites to garner more and more info on everyone. There are things I discuss here that I would not discuss there, so to speak. Same as on other sites I belong to.

I use to enjoy using Facebook to keep in touch with family and friends, now not so much. It just keeps getting more intrusive and find everything I have placed on there is for the whole world to see. Privacy is a big concern of many and I do not know if I would use it.

Profile pages link is not working. Was that supposed to go to our profile page?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Deactivating your account is not the same as deleting. All your information is still in their servers. They make it a very complicated process to actually remove your own property off their site.

If you want to actually get rid of all your information off Facebook, then sign into your Facebook and click this link www.facebook.com... .

After pressing submit, it takes about 14 days for all your information to actually be wiped.

I personally do not use Facebook, because anyone I need to talk to is in my phonebook. No need for me to advertise what my hobbies or favorite movies are to the world.

Much less post pictures when potential employers can easily Google your name and stumble upon your drunk pictures.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I do not want to have anything to do with Facebook, I'm actually deleting my account there soon and wouldn't think about added anything else to it that could be used to gather more information on me.

I would be interested in something more private and ATS oriented though.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I have considered ats as my facebook kinda.I had 3 people I begrudgingly accepted as friends before updating my status message to I don't accept friend requests so don't ask.

I have more people on my friends list here then I did on facebook.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I do have a facebook account and I'm not the least bit worried. As with any social media site I always have and always will supply them with fake information. My name on it is a pseudonym, my location is made up, my email address on it is a tertiary account that I just use to route mail to another account.

Your idea of tinbook sounds interesting and I would probably sign up but I wouldn't abandon facebook for it as facebook serves a very simple end for me and that is being able to stay in touch and see what my friends are doing even if we're in separate states. It's great for a laugh.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

Thanks for that...I will do that right now.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
For my part yes I would use it. I have a Facebook account, but probably not for long as I was considering dumping it.

Since I do very little on Facebook and use it more to get a grip on what my family are doing, the privacy concerns are not so great for me, and I have to be honest as an old fart nearly senior citizen, all this 'social' networking stuff leaves me cold. Someone just invited me to join Twitter, but I declined as I can't see the point of having to read mindless blatherings of completely unimportant people. Frankly I don't care if some minor and irrelevant film star thinks he/she needs to go to the gym/has gone to the gym/is eating ice cream etc etc. Nor do I care for the scaremongering factor - as shown eminently by the last Hekla eruption scare instigated by someone on Twitter. Twitter-Birds OK?

What matters is here on ATS. ATS should be concentrating of getting the message out to like minded people and not opening the doors, in my humble opinion, to the sort of people who make comments on You Tube that would definitely not be permitted here, but then I am just a Grumpy Old Man!!

On the other hand however IF the connection is controlled and it does get the messages out to a wide audience then that cannot be bad. I can sit on fences all day!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I use FB but i don't think I would use "Tinbook."

If everyone's already at FB, and they can't be tracked, then just make something there.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This sounds like fun. I'm down.

...but I like facebook.

Bill, would T&C apply fully to this new social network expansion? Specifically regarding offensive language.

-Dev

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I don't use FB, nor other social networking sites. If there is an ATS version, I probably won't use that either, as long as our wonderful site is still here.

I don't have any problem with an FB-like ATS system existing, though. It might be fun for some, and might also draw in others who have dabbled with the edge but for whatever the reason felt intimadated to join here.

thanks for always thinking of us and taking the time to ask our opinions, Bill.

Cheers

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
i like the tinbook idea - but i have my concerns too .
if its too private (lets say you cant tell who the person is) then abuse will come in forms of pedofilia and other illegal things.

so its double edged sword.

im not using facebook just because its an exelent tool for governments to label people for thier views plus makes places like it exelent for data mining.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It depends how rapidly this "Conspiracy Book" idea catches on. I very much doubt it would grow to the size of the Facebook market, but if it does, then it will be headed for the same destiny. There IS such a thing as too much publicity on the Internet!

I do not use Facebook and I doubt I would use Conspiracy Book either. It sounds like the same concept, just packaged differently and presented to an alternative audience.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I think its a great way to replace our profiles here. Our profiles here have our friends listed - they have a comment section so people can leave comments, pictures, videos, etc.

I think a "Tin"Book would be close to the same thing but a bit more "modern" a bit more "interactive".

And really, not everyone would have to sign up and use it. It would be choice - just like choosing friends here, leaving comments, using the Media Portal, etc is all choice. You would not have to give out personal info - it would be as much info as you chose to reveal.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Yes, I would definately use it.

I currently use Facebook quite frequently and would continue to do so as I use it to keep in touch with my large circle of friends, the vast majority of whom have no desire to be a member of ATS.

Any ATS related social networking site would enable me to develop friendships with other ATS members which have grown over the nearly 3 years I have been a membery.

I am 100% certain that The Amigo's would ensure that ATS would ensure the same security levels on the new venture as they currently do here.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord One of our internal working names is "TinBook," and would be targeted not just for ATS members, but frequent users of all "alternative" and "subversive" (as apparently classified by the current occupiers of the White House) web sites.

With that in mind, I believe that joining "tinbook" in the current climate would be akin to stitching a yellow star to your sleeve in Germany in 1938.

The social networks are going to land an awful lot of people in an awful lot of trouble and I'll give them a miss.

Nice idea though.

link   
I think you just say no to Facebook and make something like that here. I'd even pay for it. Facebook is just meh.

link   
I use to be an avid Facebook user. Their ToS flub really made me question my activity on facebook. I only get on FB for birthday reminders and thats all. I don't post or even host pics on it anymore.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It's really just finding a better way to utilize our current profile system.

Personally, I think Bluebook might be a bit more apropos.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I do not use FACEBOOK at ALL!

Because I don't trust them.

BlueBook,
!

[edit on 10-5-2010 by theability]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I would never associate my ATS username with my real name, so I'm someone who would never tie ATS to Facebook... there are just too many nut-jobs here, no offense...

That said, I don't know if there needs to be anything particularly more social for ATS that couldn't be wrapped into ATS proper. I'm not sure I have a need for another portal covering the same territory with shinier tools.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join