It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for ATS members - Facebook or "Conspiracy" Book?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Smiggle

Facebook should be in crisis talks regarding its privacy policy.

If the money flowing towards those guys who are going to code that competing social network is any indication, there are a lot of disenfranchised people out there, tired of being mined for data.

They already have more than 10 times the funding they asked for, and its still flowing in at around $3500 an hour.

www.nytimes.com...

There have been at least two other attempts at decentralized networks, Mr. Brunton said, but he thought the Diaspora* group had a firmer plan. Its quick success in raising money, he said, showed the discontent over the state of privacy on the social sites. “We will have to see how widely this will be adopted by the non-nerds,” Mr. Brunton said. “But I don’t know a single person in the geek demographic who is not freaked out” by large social networks and cyber warehouses of information.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I apologize for saying something irrelevant, but the only feature missing from ATS, for me, is a way to locate my posts. I don't log in ATS each and every day, and therefore when there is an interesting topic and I post something there, I have a hard time finding my last post so as that I can read the discussion from that point.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Hi Bill, yes I know ATS is been working hard to get a better site but ......

I never understood the new profile pages on ATS anyway

What DIRECTION does ATS wants to go? Does it want to become a major 'social' site like so many existing other sites of that kind?

I understand the WISH of ATS but for a website like this one, with "Conspiracy" written on it's flag
) and in it's logo, I doubt it's wish to hack up with other social sites.

Please let this site be what it is, a site where those who want to be anonymus can be and those who wan to 'reveal' themsleves (and share particular private ifo via U2U) can do so in a limited way.

Conspiracy and Secrecy go hand in hand, that's the way it should be. The cost to pay is that it sometimes is difficult to tell the 'honest' ppl's stories form those who always make up stories ... so be it then.

If ATS would become more like MySpace, Twitter, Facebook etc. then I expect that those people who have REALLY to tell something, will seek their hail elsewhere. Thus letting ATS become a quiet and empty site, eventually.

Be wise

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

---

Skeptic, You'Ve done a heck of a good job, deciding what's in the interests of ATS -- long term. When things got shallow you and Springer kept the site out of dirt, in-spite of (perhaps the necessity) releasing leverage players.

I'm confident that your thought and Mark's will combine along with ATS Members to do what's both, in ATS and it's members best interest Sir. This member supports ATS and your decisions on this future thought.

Respectfully,

Scott

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
well if you can make members as trusting of tinbook (i love the name!!)
as much as they like ats then i say go for it.

i do feel there will stil be privacy concerns, so please try to stay on tip top shape in relation to peoples security needs.

i could see potential for recommended reading and referencing proof and real time discussion of disaster..pretty cool communities can form, especially on the survival and tea party or libertarian fronts.

also reminds me how the Iranians were using twitter strategically in the recent Iranian riots.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Like the idea :-)

What about a name: FaceBunk

Valorian

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
i am slowly becoming a luddite, i have a cheap GO phone, only for calls in and out, with no texting. it is quite freeing when the only way one communicates with another, is by actually speaking to them on the phone or seeing them in person. video conferenceing software has advanced far enough that i might start using that. and ATS is the closest i get to any type of online interaction.
but i enjoy the time that i spend with some degree of solitude. having to be constantly in touch with some other person all day and night is disturbing to me. being able to reflect on information already learned tends to be more inciteful and useful. i don't need a constant deluge of peoples yammering.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by jimmyx]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Personality I think linkages to more public domains would ultimately harm ATS. One of the things that is terrific about the site is that you don't know who you're discussing something with. Thinking about the perspective absent knowing the age, location in many cases, sex and background of the person makes for a richer and more interesting debate environment, IMO.

I also think making it more "maintsteam" detracts from the feel of the site. Its a site for predominately serious folks who want to debate and discuss things in a thoughtful way. Thats exactly the opposite from the tripe that folks put on Facebook.

I could not have expressed my thoughts about ATS in any manner better than the above quote.

It is very seldom that I post to ATS because usually someone else has expressed my viewpoint, as has happened in the above post.

This time I would like to add my opinion about face book. I do use facebook because it keeps me in touch with all of my far flung family and friends. I enjoy reading from day to day their activities and also looking at the new photos that are posted. Our family, and other friends have become much closer. My facebook is composed of just family and friends.

I come to ATS for other reasons. I want to hear and marvel over different opinions than mine. Or sometimes there is agreement with my thinking, but in both cases I get a different prospective. I want to know about ideas, projects or other things going on in the world that otherwise I would never hear about. And, as the above poster mentioned, it is good to read opinions from people without knowing their background, sex, age or culture.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
While I at one time enjoyed using Facebook to make contact with past friends & distant family who have an easier time communicating through a one-stop site compared to e-mail/im/webpages separately, I now have stripped all but a minimum from my profile due to MANY privacy concerns. It's the same reason behind leaving Google's services. I'm not so much paranoid as proactive over the ability for complete profiles to be built on an individual that can be sold to insurance companies for example who may then use that information to raise premiums for example.

As for a social site dedicated to alternative minded individuals, well, I don't see a need. Social networking is already outdated. MySpace died with Facebook. Facebook has a close rival in Twitter. Once corporations & (sorry to say) elderly family members take over a scene, the "hip" move to the next big thing. If ATS can predict or attempt to predict what this will be, I think I would be more apt to create an account and explore the offerings. (Personally, with all of our instant communication, I feel a that disconnection movements will soon take over where people organize online, but meet up in person...possibly even a CB/HAM radio revival).

I love message boards. There's something arcane enough about them, yet real-time postings, that connect with my technological roots (dial-up BBS). I would hate to see such a media change due to the mere ability to utilize new technologies. Yes, I know ATS has a corporate mission, however, I say if it works, why mess with it?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

The short answer to this post is anything with enough influence over the people can be used against the people and will inherently decieve the people. TV, the internet. You only have to look at the retarded Nibiru videos on youtube or the rediculous posts you get on here. A mass collection of misinformation and disinformation because of either peoples ignorance or need for control. This is my opinion anyway

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I have a Facebook page and yes, I have definite concerns regarding their complete disregard for privacy to an extent. My Facebook page is a part of my online presence surrounding my freelance writing career, so it's not an anonymity issue. I like that many of my childhood friends have found me there. I don't like receiving targeted advertising or being told that the content on my page no longer belongs to me.

I would LOVE a social network directly associated with ATS. It wouldn't replace Facebook for me as I have many friends there and frankly, I don't often discuss conspiracies and the like with them because well...they think that stuff is crazy. Also, I like to keep ATS separate from my other internet endeavors. I use a different handle there...I like to remain as anonymous as possible here.

I would really like the chance to make friends here based on interests and other things though...so go for it! Thanks for asking us what we think.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I currently have a Facebook page, but I also have an alternative, for those that have serious problems with FB by itself can make another page just for ATS, I would love to have the ability to have both, and I think it would broaden the range of people that visit this wonderful site.
I think the biggest thing I dont think that the rules that apply here would apply there, but also, we could all chat and maybe share more than we do now... so in other words I think that it would be great, but Its only because I have a separate, conspiracy page there already, I dont think I would share my personal stuff with everyone in my personal life, besides I already have a fun share your conspiracy page

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Sign me up to tinbook now please.
The proverbial second line.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
With the recent privacy debacle at facebook, I'd go with conspiracy book, or something else run off the ATS site.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad

I would use it. I just want to know how to get all of my friends here...some arent really into the conspiracy part, they just like to have "fluff" conversations that dont require brain power.

BTW, there is a group on FB that is demanding that they not charge after July 9, 2010...or people will leave....

[edit on 5/10/2010 by rangersdad]

I was under the impression that charging for basic facebook services was a terrible rumour. I just googled it.

I use facebook, I don't hate it or anything. It's nice to have all the people from my life on there that I've ever know. ( for the most part anyways )

As far as the privacy issues, they take what you give them, so if you don't want people to know who you are, stay offline, and definetly stay off facebook.

And there's no way in hell I'd ever want to combine ATS with facebook. I like my friends.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

(SIDE NOTE: We've successfully tested methods whereby links to FB from ATS, and links from FB to ATS cannot be profiled and included in the data mining performed by FB.)

Don't trust it. You can't even get rid of ATS hackers who target people when they don't like what they post.

I don't use FB, never did and I think that people that deliberately post personal information about themselves on the internet are mentally challenged.

Seriously, banks, the gov., etc. are hacked so what makes ATS any better or different?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I haven't read all 13 pages of this, but I think the following is VERY important to take into consideration concerning this topic. My apologies if its already been posted:

Loveable Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg called his first few thousand users “dumb f***s” for trusting him with their data, published IM transcripts show. Facebook hasn’t disputed the authenticity of the transcript.

Zuckerberg was chatting with an unnamed friend, apparently in early 2004. Business Insider, which has a series of quite juicy anecdotes about Facebook’s early days, takes the credit for this one.

The exchange apparently ran like this:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How’d you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don’t know why.

Zuck: They “trust me”

Zuck: Dumb f***s

The founder was then 19, and he may have been joking. But humour tells you a lot. Some might say that this exchange shows Zuckerberg was not particularly aware of the trust issue in all its depth and complexity.

Facebook is currently in the spotlight for its relentlessly increasing exposure of data its users assumed was private.

More at source:
www.theregister.co.uk...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I've gone back and forth about FB, but I finally scheduled my account for deletion today. With all the privacy intrusions, zuckerbrod's complete disregard, and outright mockery of the IDEA of privacy, FB has finally achieved the status of "creepy online stalker", IMHO. It's gone from my life, not coming back. # twitter too
. I say, you guys should have nothing to do with them.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Facebook now why would you make that move if it was not to get more info on your member's? I have been a member since 04,had to change to ibegood2 after changing ISP,but if you you change,goodbye!

[edit on 17-5-2010 by ibegood2]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
No let's not go the way of Facebook. The privacy issue and the supposed actual cost of being a member to start this summer not a good thing.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join