It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for ATS members - Facebook or "Conspiracy" Book?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I don't know Bill maybe you should read this thread before you decide..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I used to have a Facebook profile, but privacy concerns are what caused me to deactivate it. It still doesn't seem permanent for some reason though...
Anyways, I would LOVE to see a 'TinBook'. (Facebook- privacy issues+ real topics)

So my vote is YES

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I dont see the point in having another networking site as I think the ATS forums are great as they are. We have profiles, upload area, several ways of communicating. What would be the point in creating a Facebook style site for ATS.

Why try and fix something thats not broken....

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I think you guys need to focous on

1) information flow = we need new type of algorithms to try to make a thread high in the rankings (like some type of flag down system or, like, users with more rankings give and take more flags from other threads)

2) detect YOUR information flow = a lot of people find it hard to follow all the replies and quotes, simply because there is no way to do it!! - so thats the best option

3) people like privacy here, no one wants their account linked to some network system that links to their real name, imagine the implications (it would be much more easy for agencies or even our own bosses to identify the posters, so people would need to post things without freedom)

4) ATS social system - I would suggest you guys to implement a system like facebook but that people have the option to not use private information, but still can socialize with other members, kind of restrict facebook

DO NOT INTEGRATE WITH ANY TYPE OF SOCIAL SYSTEM THAT COULD IDENTIFY USERS, THAT WOULD BE JUST WRONG, like I described above

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Sounds like a great idea. I don't really use facebook myself and I don't use my real info on their anyway. Can never be too careful on the internets. But "Tinbook" sounds like it would do well. I'm not too fond of the name...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I feel like I could make a HUGE contribution, here.

If you're interested in making ATS a little more social/personable, I used to run a social networking site for college athletics enthusiasts - it relied heavily on user content in the forums, much like ATS does, here, but the Personal profiles, incredible GUI, and watch/alert features still remain 2nd to none in the realm of online web-communities, and allow users to interact with each other outside the forums, and delve a little deeper into users lives (that they choose) - it's really pretty remarkable.

Although, my site is now defunked, the software/community format lives on at RoosterTeeth.com

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If there was a Facebook integration with ATS I wouldn't visit anymore, well, I would but I wouldn't log in. Of course to see everything ATS may be very different if integrated with Facebook and you might HAVE TO log in to see certain things, in that case I'd be sad to loose one of my favourite sites

I think a social networking site that advertises yourself, pictures, details, date of birth, friends and god knows what else mixed with a conspiracy site where people talk about all kinds of things out of the norm is a very bad mix

Watch The Truth About Facebook Short Video

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I think that ATS should come with features that make it easy to integrate with Facebook if a member wants to. More and more sites are doing this, like RSS feeds or various other methods.

That being said - I believe that Facebook might be on its way out. Check out Diaspora. It is an open-source project that is a reaction to Facebook's privacy policies.

"We believe that privacy and connectedness do not have to be mutually exclusive"

Basically, this network will be software based, similar to P2P sharing networks, only what gets shared is totally controlled by the user. The emphasis will be on "info" and interaction with your chosen contacts.

I just read about this on Slashdot.org and believe that it has a good chance of catching on and becoming the "facebook killer".

Being open-source, third-party developers will be able to create add-ons and plugins that will allow certain functionality and connectivity with existing sites. SO: I think it could be a great solution for what this thread is addressing.

Take a look at the site, their stance on this issue is congruous with the mindset of ATS, I believe.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I have a facebook account, but I do not, and would never advertise on there that I visit conspiracy websites. I'm not even knee-deep into this stuff, but yet I'd NEVER advertise that on Facebook. As you said, the privacy thing, and the FBI has shown up on people's doorsteps for much, much less.

I'm down with a ConspiracyBook type interface.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I don't really use facebook that much but it would be kinda nice to have an ATS version.

But what i really want is to get some kind of update if someone replies to my posts on ATS...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

It's been two days since you posed this query. My thoughts are you have most likely made a decision.

Do our inquiring minds get to know?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I never made a Facebook account due to privacy concerns. I'm the only one of my immediate family/friends who doesn't have one. I just don't trust it and the more I hear, I'm glad I don't have a profile. I would be interested in an ATS sponsored 'tinbook' though.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Never say never, but I probably wouldnt use a Facebook style thing.

I do have a Facebook page, but I rarely use it, and only made one because friends of mine browbeat me into it. The privacy concerns would not be the reason I wouldnt use it, however. I dont really know enough about what Facebook is doing, (mostly because I could care less about Facebook) and so I am not well informed enough to be alarmed.

Do what you think is right for the site. It would be nice if it were an optional thing, rather than required, however. I like my ATS pretty much as it is, personally.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I have a FB page that I visit maybe once or twice a year at this point. I am just not interested in all of the little games, etc, that seem to be the only real purpose behind it. I have friends I speak with via email, etc, and don't need that page to do it. I am not sure I would use the Tinbook version, since if I want to talk with someone I can just U2U them and if I wanted to talk with people every single day, or what have you, I would start a Yahoo group or something. Chat via email that way too. I would support a Tinbook version to help ATS progress, but cannot say I would use it much. Definitely would not use a FB version.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Part of my friends list was posted in the actual forum.. I was told it was not an invasion of privacy (even though non members can't see profiles). I certainly awould not be interested in this idea unless privacy concerns were addressed and not dismissed.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

If you did 'lunch' it (lol) I probably wouldn't use it, and after reading the OP I'm reconsidering my membership at fb....its already fairly limited but still...

-B.M

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Facebook are in crisis talks presently over their privacey policy.
11th May 2010:
The New York Times allowed readers and subscribers of Facebook to post questions to the Facebook Executive - Elliot Schrage.
Article and Q&A's here:
bits.blogs.nytimes.com...

Today 13th May 2010:
Frontpage Headline BBC: Crisis Meeting For Facebook.
www.bbc.co.uk...

... the world's biggest social network "has called an all hands meeting tomorrow afternoon, at 4PM Pacific, to discuss the company's overall privacy strategy according to sources inside the company".

Facebook's crisis meeting shows that Mr Shrage's explanation to the Times and its readers clearly didn't cut it.

Facebook's policies and privacy conditions change daily - what they say now will change tomorrow - I would hope that TPTB see that there is enough faith and trust here in the ability of ATS that Facebook is an unnecessary additive to a social networking aspect of the forum.

Smigs

[edit on 13/5/10 by Smiggle]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Actually, after doing some research, I really would not want ATS to go the way of Facebook.

www.nytimes.com...

The Diaspora* group was inspired to begin their project after hearing a talk by Eben Moglen, a law professor at Columbia University, who described the centralized social networks as “spying for free,” Mr. Salzberg said.

Unless ATS planned to wait and use the Diaspora method, in which case our privacy would be protected.

www.kickstarter.com...

One of the big motivations of this project, and the founders (I am not one) and I both attended the same talk by Eben Moglen earlier this year, is that you put the data in a place that you control, preferably in your home - where Fourth Amendment protections provide a higher level of data security against subpoenas or secret searches than would be available if your data was stored on a third party or hosted environment such as Facebook or Google. These protections are very important when considered against past cases where corporations have subpoenaed these companies to unmask anonymous critics, or if (I can't think of specific cases,) law enforcement was fishing for information to contrive a case against someone who may otherwise be considered innocent.
The issue is much deeper than Facebook's abuses of its customers (users,) but rather the reclamation of our activities into environments where legal protection for the individual are stronger.

So, if the point of going social networking is a purely profit motive, (which is fine, you have the right to earn money) I would prefer you set up your Social network separate from ATS. Then you could gather all the information and sell it you wanted, without damaging the integrity of ATS itself. The way those social networks make their money, by selling personal information, is a little bit oppositional to ATS core values. But as a linked to site, why the heck not? If people dont mind sharing their info with marketers more power to them.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I have been a member of ats for quite some time and am very happy with it however i do enjoy face book for a variety or reason but i would join any ats type of social network as i am a fan of conspiracy but i would not abandon fb because a lot of my friends and classmates from school have been found on their and they would not join ats because the are not into conspiracy and the like they just want to keep in touch now if ats would add the games of fb along with the silliness of the conversations that require little though with ats coming down on people about it then maybe i could get some friends to come over to the alternative ats which would be much better for them in the long wrong anyway

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join