It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mexican Repatriation: Are we repeating history?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
For referance lates take a page from Wiki

The Mexican Repatriation refers to a forced migration that took place between 1929 and 1939, when as many as one million people of Mexican descent were forced or pressured to leave the US. (The term "Repatriation," though commonly used, is inaccurate, since approximately 60% of those driven out were U.S. citizens.)[1] The event, carried out by American authorities, took place without due process.[2] The Immigration and Naturalization Service targeted Mexicans because of "the proximity of the Mexican border, the physical distinctiveness of mestizos, and easily identifiable barrios." [3]

The Repatriation is not widely discussed in American history textbooks;[4] in a 2006 survey of the nine most commonly used American history textbooks in the United States, four did not mention the Repatriation, and only one devoted more than half a page to the topic.[4] In total, they devoted four pages to the Repatriation, compared with eighteen pages for the Japanese American internment.[4]

These actions were authorized by President Herbert Hoover and targeted areas with large Hispanic populations, mostly in California, Texas, Colorado, Illinois and Michigan.

Wiki source

U.S. instituted Mexican Repatriation where it is estimated that perhaps a million people were deported for being here illegally. It has also been speculated that up to 60 percent of those forced to leave were actually U.S. citizens. In 1905, philosopher George Santayana so poetically prophesized that, "those who cannot remember their past are condemned to repeat it." However, we often forget the first part of his statement which is, "When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual."

The conversation about immigration reform doesn't need to be a discussion centered around change, it doesn't even need to be an analysis of where we've gone wrong before and what we should do differently this time around (although both these topics will hopefully be addressed at some point), what is should consist of however is being better than we used to be.

Let's have an honest discussion about how this bill is obviously targeted at a Latino population and that the police won't be stopping every white person to try and catch the suspected 70,000 Canadians who are here illegally. Let's talk about the nature of crime and what the demand for drugs in this country has resulted in. And let's talk about gangs and their relation to economic downturns, poverty and an inherent need for community; and let's take a look at whether or not our communities and our government are providing enough opportunities for people to combat the indicators that lead to gang involvement.

Side note one more day until moving day... might be my last post for several weeks so please star each other's posts and play nice... and if you happen to see a fat old guy broke down along the highway in an over loaded moving van, be kind and drop me off a beer k?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Let's have an honest discussion about how this bill is obviously targeted at a Latino population and that the police won't be stopping every white person to try and catch the suspected 70,000 Canadians who are here illegally.

I have not read of any Canadian drug gang battles along the border.
I have not read of any Canadians celebrating Canadian holidays here in America.
I have not read of any Canadian resistant groups that wants to take over parts of America.
I have not read of any Canadian people accused of crossing the border and murdering Americans ranchers.
I have not read of any Canadian people smuggling drugs or people across the border.
I have not read of any Canadian people kidnapping people and dragging them back into Canada.
I have not read of any Canadians kicking in the doors of Americans and robbing their home.
This American typed this out in less than two minutes, and if I spend two more minutes, I could come up with more examples.
America, love it or leave it.
PS,
I hope your move goes well, and that you have good weather and plenty of help.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Violater1]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
wow i had never even heard of that untill now. i guess my school was one of the ones who left it out of the textbook.....

i think a good first step to attacking this issue would be to somehow separate the ones coming here to live and work, from the ones coming here to smuggle drugs kidnap and incite violence.

lets face it a lot of these folks are refugees, and who can blame them from running from the insanity going on in their home country.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Some of that is false argument. It may be true that Canadians do not celebrate their holidays in the US, but with the exception of July 4th/July 1st, Canada and US celebrate virtually the same holidays.

What about Chinese immigrants? They celebrate the Chinese New Year, no matter which country they are in. Should they be deported? The US is the land of the free, people should be able to celebrate whichever holidays they wish.

There are indeed Canadians that run drugs, generally pot, to the US and take guns back with them.

The OP is concerned that all Hispanics could be kicked out of the country, legal or not. That is a valid concern.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Come on man; you and I both know that a Majority of illegal’s are Hispanics. This bill is supported by 60% of Americans, that is a very astounding majority. You also have 10-13 other states who are going to press almost the same law.

you mention 90,000 Canadians that are here illegally, if they are found their butts should be deported as well, but it’s funny there are roughly 10 Million to 23 Million who are here illegally but only 90,000 of them are Canadians? That’s funny.

www.usimmigrationsupport.org...

Yes I like the law and think all 50 states should adopt it. Do I think so people will abuse it... Sure I am. Should they be punished. Yes they should. But these illegal’s are being used like modern day slaves, working for mere pennies on the dollar, with no benefits. Seems to me you would want to help them, by finding a way to press American business into paying HUGE fines for these type of workers, instead of bemoaning a law that a Sound Majority of racists...uhhh I mean Americans support.

Edit to add good luck with your move, if your journeys bring near Cincinnati, I have a cold one with your name on it.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerMan
lets face it a lot of these folks are refugees, and who can blame them from running from the insanity going on in their home country.

Really? Can you specify exactly what "insanity"? If you mean all the drug violence, that is not going on all throughout Mexico, and it can be avoided by going to another part of Mexico where there is no violence. Plenty of people (Americans) are still vacationing there. My attorney LIVES there most of the time and he never mentions all the "insanity".

Check your facts before opening your mouth.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Operation Wetback was a 1954 operation by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to remove about one million illegal immigrants from the southwestern United States, focusing on Mexican nationals[1].
en.wikipedia.org...

The history keeps repeating over and over. We cant fix poverty by importing/exploiting it. People that want to help the Mexicans should focus on fixing the problem where it is....Mexico & other Latin countries.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I've said this before and I will say it again. You can't fix the problem by just shipping illegals back to mexico.

There needs to be an alternative to shipping them back home.

Unless you have snipers every 100 yards on the border shooting anyone crossing over you can't stop people crossing into the US from Mexico.

So we need to come up with a different solution.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
My point is there a good many fourth fifth and more generations of Americans of Mexican descent....
I fear, like we've seen in the past, a repeat of horrendous mistakes.
remember what happened with the Japanese and internment camps, forced to abandon their homes business and lives, even through they too were American Citizens!

Yes illegal aliens of all races should be detained and sent back regardless or skin color, but do we really want to single out one ethnic group and damn the cost???

if we are not very careful here we risk making a mockery of just what it means to be a citizen of this great country...

Now back to packing... do I take my doctor meds or just my fishing gear??? I think fishing trumps meds...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
History is repeating itself in Mexico. I don't think they have ever had a stable government, its been revolution after revolution when someone decides they want to be in charge instead. I'm sure it will happen again.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Do I think what you are saying will happen on a large scale, like the Jap Camps of WWII? I highly doubt it, it’s very unlikely with today’s mood of the country that would happen... We didn’t round up all of The Muslims after 9-11, So I don’t see us rounded up all Latinos.

Do I think there is a chance for smaller scale abuse cases... Absolutely... Should the offenders be punished?? Hell yea... From what I understand from reading this law is that if A cop pulls you over or your taken in custody for committing a crime, the cops can’t ask you for ID showing proof you are an American Citizen. Now If I am wrong for this please let me know, But this is how I understand the law.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

i think a good first step to attacking this issue would be to somehow separate the ones coming here to live and work, from the ones coming here to smuggle drugs kidnap and incite violence.

That's what the LEGAL immigration process is supposed to do. Arizona has the right idea. It is what the Federal Government should have been doing all along.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Really? Can you specify exactly what "insanity"? If you mean all the drug violence, that is not going on all throughout Mexico, and it can be avoided by going to another part of Mexico where there is no violence. Plenty of people (Americans) are still vacationing there. My attorney LIVES there most of the time and he never mentions all the "insanity".

Check your facts before opening your mouth.

check my facts?

are you serious?

All 2010

Mexico 2010 Crime & Safety Report: Guadalajara

Thirteen killed in crime wave in Mexico's Acapulco

Drug violence leaves 6 dead in Mazatlan

More Than 20 Murders in Tijuana in First Five Days of 2010

i wont even bother with juarez or mexico city.

whats that leave? cabo and cancun?

and thats just what made the news here, everybody knows theres a news blackout across mexico on reporting these killings.

Mexico Drug Gang Hushes Killings with News Blackout

not that i ever said it was across the entire country to begin with.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
My point is there a good many fourth fifth and more generations of Americans of Mexican descent....
I fear, like we've seen in the past, a repeat of horrendous mistakes.
remember what happened with the Japanese and internment camps, forced to abandon their homes business and lives, even through they too were American Citizens!

Good points. People wonder why U.S. citizens of Mexican descent do not much participate in the Census and here's your reason. They remember history...and it is a disgraceful history at that. Let's not repeat it.

top topics

join