It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. Tories, Lib Democrats near power-sharing deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Britons are closer to learning who their new government will be as the Conservatives and the upstart Liberal Democrats appear to be nearing a power-sharing deal. Apparently the Lib Dems have said they will only consider forming a coalition with Labour if Gordon Brown steps down as Labour Leader and Prime Mininster. Clegg said earlier today he wants to come to a decision as soon as possible with the Torys but their manifesto differs alot more than that of Labours. Sky News has reported an "outline" of a deal has been reached. The BBC has said the deal would be not be a full coalition but would go further than the Liberals just supporting the government on confidence issues. The Labour party has positioned itself to negotiate with the Liberal Democrats if the Tory deal falls through. Clegg and Brown also met Monday. Clegg, the potential kingmaker, urged British voters to "bear with us a little longer" on Monday as talks went on for a fourth straight day. I find this a funny turn in events that Clegg who lost to Cameron and Brown is now the Kingmaker and will be deciding who will be moving into 10 downing street, the need to come to decision within the next few days as the levels of uncertainty here in the U.K is rising. Former Conservative Party prime minister John Major has been pushing for a quick deal also.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It won't be enough, the Tories will never share properly and the Lib Dems have to weak a leader to solidify a decent coalition with them and Labour is in turmoil.

I'd like to see another election really but I can't help but think it would be wasted and we'd just end up with another hung parliament.

Its a sticky situation which I'm sure you as well as I and everybody else would like to see resolved quickly so we can get on with getting our country out of this mess.

Just my opinion

S+F

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Gordon Brown has just set in motion his resignation along with Talks begining with the Lib Dems and Labour. All going off

www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 10-5-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Everton

I've been comparing the current situation with 1974 ever since the vote on Thursday.
But I'm now beginning to see a resemblance to 1885.

In the 1885 election, Parnell's Irish Nationalists held the balance of power.
The results were;
Liberals 333
Conservatives 251
Irish Nationalists 85

If Parnell had decided to prop up the outgoing Conservative government, they would have had a tiny majority.
Instead, Gladstone also "played the Green card" (as they used to say in those days). There were hints that he would favour "Home Rule" for Ireland; then he defeated the government, with Irish support, and thus gained the chance to form a government of his own.

The catch was that getting Irish support implied attempting some sort of plan in the direction of giving Home Rule to Ireland, and the unsuccessful attempt broke his party in two and kept them out of government for most of the next twenty years.

If this precedent were to be followed, Cameron would make an agreement with Clegg, introduce a bill to bring in PR- and would then be brought down by Conservative back-bench rebellion.

Edited for the sake of greater accuracy

[edit on 10-5-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Gordon Brown has just set in motion his resignation along with Talks begining with the Lib Dems and Labour. All going off

www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 10-5-2010 by woodwardjnr]

Really can't see why the LibDems would side with Labour given the finger pointing over the Dr David Kelly murder.... My Local LibDem MP Norman Baker really drove that point home..

I guess it is a sell out either way...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

In the 1885 election, Parnell's Irish Nationalists held the balance of power.
The results were;
Liberals 333
Conservatives 251
Irish Nationalists 85

If Parnell had decided to prop up the outgoing Conservative government, they would have had a tiny majority

This whole episode is looking more and more like 1885 with every hour that passes.
Since Charles Parnell's political career was eventually wrecked by a sordid scandal, the precedent isn't really very encouraging for Clegg, either.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The thread's claim has been overtaken by events. Senior Liberals are now saying that a deal with Labour is preferable.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi
The thread's claim has been overtaken by events. Senior Liberals are now saying that a deal with Labour is preferable.

Yes, along with a proposed majority vote on AV rather than trusting the people with a referendum on electoral reform... IMHO, if they take that route, then I'll be certainly be left feeling we live in a dictatorship in all but name

new topics

top topics

join