It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Suspicious" package detonated at church... Turns out to be donated box of cash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Here's how suspicious we've become in the post- 9/11 world.

A cardboard box left at a church near Lake Mary caused the closure of Markham Woods Road while a bomb squad X-rayed it and then blew it up.

The note on the 40-pound bundle said, simply, "For Pastor Nick." In the old days, someone would have taken it inside and opened it.

But a church member who found the package on the doorstep about 11 a.m. today thought the corrugated box secured with duct tape might be dangerous.

He drove it from Master's Touch International Church, 555 Markham Woods Road, to a nearby fire station to have it checked out.

The Seminole County Sheriff's Office bomb squad couldn't figure out what was inside even after the box was X-rayed.

So, deputies blew it up.

The result: More than $2,500 in paper money was turned into confetti. Four hundred ninety-eight rolled silver dollars remained intact, Cannaday said.

'Suspicious' package turns out to be donation for Seminole County church

This is what the terrorists have done to us. Even though they do not always succede in their attacks, it is in the back of all of our minds. A cooler of water bottles shut down Time Square the other day. It is a shame that we have to live with this fear.

But there is some good news...

The church won't be out any money, though, because the U.S. Treasury will replaced damaged paper money

-E-

[edit on 10-5-2010 by MysterE]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
hahah i think someones bribe money was blown up

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I really don't know if the cops choose the best tactic on this one.

So, an X-ray couldn't determine what it was so Bang? What did the bomb dogs detect? Don't they have any hand-held sensors to aid them in their determinations?

Sounds like someone got a little power and went off-BANG.

Anyway, one would think that they WOULDN'T blow it up is they didn't know what was in it? Don't you think? Could have been a nuke for all they knew?! I am sure the rolled coins didn't help though lol.

S&F for a good one.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I think it has alot to do with the post 9/11 mentality. A strange box.... Well it must be a bomb. Xray is inconclusive, must be a bomb. The current situation has us on our heels so much that anything out of the ordinary is automatically presumed to be a threat.

Thanks for the post
-E-

[edit on 10-5-2010 by MysterE]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Thanks for the laugh, this was so ficken hilarious

Did they use the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch for the bomb disposal

[edit on 10-5-2010 by acrux]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
What I find interesting is that somebody was trusting enough of people to leave a box of cash laying around, because anyone could have just helped themselves to it.

Then, people who are not trusting at all, cause the box to be exploded.

There was no happy medium, here.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Star and Flag for pointing out the idiocy of those who we pay to "protect" us.

Makes me wonder about the lack of training for those trusted to use X-ray equipment too. Fifty rolls of quarters should have been painfully obvious even with the most outdated X-ray equipment.

On the positive side, this will cause second thoughts in anyone who may be inclined to leave a baby in a basket on the church steps.....

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well, the mentality of fear is working.

As for who would leave a box of cash, probably someone that is actually charitable.

You always have the super rich set up foundations and the like. Is this really charity? Or a tax shelter. Plus they always want it to be known they donated.

True charity needs no pat on the back. Giving for the sake of giving is it's own reward.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Tholidor

On the positive side, this will cause second thoughts in anyone who may be inclined to leave a baby in a basket on the church steps.

I like your sense of humour.

But it might be better for the baby to blown up rather than let the priests get their hands on it.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by acrux]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Funniest movie to watch when imbibing.

How do you know he is king? Because he ain't got # all over him.

Help, Help I am being REPRESSED.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
it amazes me in this day and age with the econemy in shambles and the dollor falling like a rock these people wer so fast to blow all that money

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I just had to share this story with everyone this morning after I discovered it. What have we become, America?

My first thought?

What if it had been a box of kittens or puppies dusted in flea powder?

This story on surface appears funny, in a funny funny haha morbid way.

But below the surface this story disturbs me, as it is a clear look into the collective psyche of our nation. I do not like the vision I see.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

I think it's great that someone with some extra $$ tried to donate it. There has to be a better way to do it though!!

-E-

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Yes, that is what I thought also. That is why I brought up the fear.

The government wants this, if society does not fear, they have no control.

I always loved this mantra from Dune-

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

top topics

join