It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gigantic Disaster Ignored by MSM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
In case you haven't heard there's been a huge flood in middle Tennessee which has consumed Nashville. The damages are in the billions. Yet, the MSM has largely ignored this disastrous event.

On the face of it this doesn't make sense. We are being bombarded 24/7 about the potentiality of the gulf oil leak. The issues surrounding Hurricane Katrina are still talked about. The Tennessee flood is as major as either of these but gets little media attention.

I'm posting this as a conspiracy thread because I smell a rat. A big fat political rat. The timing of the oil spill is conspicuous and Katrina has become a rally cry for big-government leftists.

Let's bat around a few ideas on this event.

First, here's an excellent YouTube video to get us started...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Good thread and I'll make a small contribution.

The well that is leaking is an Exploratory well.
I'm not 100% sure that it was used for oil supplies anywhere yet.

With that being said, it shouldn't affect the price of oil...

....but it is.

The flood in Tennessee is a monstrous disaster, but it doesn't affect the Stock Market Reform, Illegal Immigration Reform, or any of the other agendas these people are trying to ram down the throat of the USSA.

So, what is really the plan here?
That's the main question.
You would think the MSM would use it as a distraction technique.

...then pass a new, un-desirable, your-tax-money-at-work, law.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by havok]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
There are two reasons why this isn't big news and I am going to get flamed two ways to Sunday for saying it.

1. It didn't happen to an area that is predomintly black.

2. It didn't happen to a bunch of poor people. It was a good mix of poor, middle and the rich.

Thats it, no other reasons.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miracle Man
There are two reasons why this isn't big news and I am going to get flamed two ways to Sunday for saying it.

2. It didn't happen to a bunch of poor people. It was a good mix of poor, middle and the rich.

The MSM is more guilty than anyone for playing the race card and keeping racism alive. My 2-cents is that that's part of the (unorganized and unwritten but functionally existent) leftist agenda.

But, I'll propose an alternative statement to each that you wrote:

1. It didn't happen to an area that is predominantly dependent on federal social programs.

2. It didn't happen to people who are on the same side of the political spectrum as the current federal government.

LOL, yeah I know this is as much a cheap shot as blaming Bush for Katrina (instead of the hordes of peons beholden to the government), but this goes both ways. At least in Nashville some of the people still have something like a survival instinct.

...but I also remember massive federal aid and FEMA involved in the Katrina disaster...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Personally, I think if the floods are able drown country music, then it's not really a disaster, it's a gift from the heavens.

Seriously, I had no idea it was this bad ... the MSM are playing mind-games.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I disagree. We've seen alot of news coverage of the Nashville floods up here in the Northeast. Granted it hasn't been the top story (which has been the oil spill) but it has been in the top three stories since it happened.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Actually the greek media covered this, it was in the news lately

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
interesting theories on why it hasn't been covered. i hadnt thought of any of that.

here in California i havent heard 1 person even bring up the topic yet, its a completely non-existent event here. everybodies too busy protesting arizona. even the oil spill seems like some far distant issue.

its almost like they are dividing up the country into sections and giving each section its own problem to be distracted over, so nobody worries about the rest of the country.

divide and conquer?

[edit on 10-5-2010 by LurkerMan]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The MSM in LA has been covering it as at least one of the top 5 stories since it happened.

I do agree it wasn't made as big an issue because its not as controversial and it didn't push forward a leftist agenda.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I have seen quite a few stories about this flood, but there's just not that much to discuss about the topic, other than it rained a lot, everything got flooded, and rebuilding is needed. There isn't a controversy and nothing could've been done to prevent the floods. That doesn't leave much for the talking heads to discuss.

We had floods almost as bad last year in Atlanta...it was a story for a couple days and then the rest of the country forgot about it. That's usually what happens. The media is not going to ignore national news to repeatedly cover a local issue.

I do feel bad for you guys in Tennessee, but why does it matter that it's not the top story on the news? Most all of the threads on this subject never mention wanting volunteers or help rebuilding, they just want Tennessee to be the center of attention.

Believe me, if there weren't so many other things going on in the world, Anderson Cooper would be reporting live from downtown Nashville.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The whole reasons no one is reporting "Live from downtown Nashville" is because one, they probably can't get there, two, no one is looting, and three they aren't wasting their time or lives thinking the government is going to come "save the day". In short, they have too much pride to wait a month for anyone's "assistance".

They're taking care of business and saving the day themselves, not sitting on their butts expecting assistance to get there and save the day. They know any assistance that would come would certainly be half-a$$ed in the first place, so why even bother with the bull or blame trying to get help to get there when they have more pressing, and more to the point - more immediate issues to take care of themselves? I've personally given 10 cases of water, and a few MRE's to my Uncle's family down there, but they really didn't have need of much else.

Not that they don't need assistance, they're just not going to ask for or expect it. Kinda gives one a little more pride than usual to be a Redneck.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
One huge reason that the Tennessee floods (and the Georgia floods from last year) weren't more extensively covered in a little project begun by the Leftist god FDR. The Tennessee Valley Authority. For those who don't know their history, the TVA was begun during the great depression as a way to control flooding in southern Appalachia, bring power to the region and get people working in one of the most economically depressed region of the country. The failure of the TVA dams to control the flooding because of the decaying infrastructure of the dam system is a black eye for the progressives. The system is still government run so the blame would fall squarely on their shoulders. No big corporation to blame or the ability to scream racism.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Yikes, I had no idea this was even going on! I haven't seen one word of this until this post. Hopefully they get through this... I'm not really sure what to say.

Anyway, here's a bit more info, found this, got a bit more information there. Seems 30 people died so far, and damages are up to $1.5B.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

So race is the reason for everything?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by spaznational

big-government leftists.

I agree that the lack of news coverage is absolutely appalling I just wanted to make sure - You are aware that both parties are interested in more power and wealth for themselves right? This whole right-left thing is just a show for the cameras and constituents.

Anyway I'm flagging this, it seems like the whole story has gone unreported other than a few minutes of coverage.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by spaznational

big-government leftists.

I agree that the lack of news coverage is absolutely appalling I just wanted to make sure - You are aware that both parties are interested in more power and wealth for themselves right? This whole right-left thing is just a show for the cameras and constituents.

Anyway I'm flagging this, it seems like the whole story has gone unreported other than a few minutes of coverage.

I agree, sort of. The whole Democrat-Republican thing is a show for cameras... kinda like an American Idol for politicians. The left-right continuum is, however, very real.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I heard about this in radio but was not knowing that it would be so big disaster. Don't know what MSM was doing, it seems that MSM was not at all interested in what was going around them. But the people didn't wait for anybody and was helping each others as much they can.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Unlike all the poor black people that live just off that oil rig?

I am watching coverage of the oil leak all day long and I have yet to see all these poor black people living IN the GOM that make this story so much more newsworthy than the flood. Maybe you can help me out?

top topics

join