It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic student knocks down american flag

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by David_Reale
I have only one question.

If it is, as the Latin American in the video said, this IS his country...

...why does he throw the flag of his country on the ground?

Because some guy waved it in his face to taunt him for being part of a group of mexicans.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mark_price

Actually, it wasn't in his face until he approached the car.

Furthermore, why would he be taunted by it if it was the flag of his own country?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DTOXsick

Very well said. You took pretty much what I've been thinking and typed it out. I think everyone should take a breath and a step back before they start responding on topics such as these.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Actually, it wasn't in his face until he approached the car.

Furthermore, why would he be taunted by it if it was the flag of his own country?

He was taunted by the act, not the flag.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

By the act of someone waving his - in his own words - country's flag around?

That guy needs to lighten up big-time.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by David_Reale]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Byteman

Man, with guys like you and DTOX on these threads, I will never get a chance to put in my reply because that would cause redundancy and a waste of space(which a some users on here need to realize).

Very well said, and I know exactly what you're talking about. I have family in Honduras on one of my parent's side of the fam. Things are not so hot over there, and the members coming over are doing it LEGALLY.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by 0R10N]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Waving the American flag is a taunt now.

Crap, come July 4 there are going to be a bunch of angry Mexicans I guess.

How about those people who have that little thing that goes on the antenna of their car that is an American flag, is that considered a taunt to if they drive by a bunch of Mexicans.

I hate people who make up excuses for idiots who break the law. The sad thing is if a white person knocked the Mexican flag out of Pedros hands then you would be in an up roar about it.

Pathetic.

I love America but I'm starting to hate the people who live in it. They are becoming nothing more then a bunch of sniveling apologists. Continue with your excuse making I'm done with this thread.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

By the act of someone waving his - in his own words - country's flag around?

That guy needs to lighten up big-time.

Okay, it was not the actual flag waving that was the problem. If the flag was attached to a car on the outside with all the windows closed, and not a sound or gesture from the occupants within the car, that guy would not have just walked up to a random car to knock down a harmless flag. Unless you really believe that guy goes around knocking down every flag he sees.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Ah, but the flag IS the problem here, because of the message the gesture of throwing it on the ground carries with it. Knowingly or by pure stupidity, he ended up offending not only his home country, but a slew of his fellow Americans as well.

That being said, I see your point as well.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by David_Reale

Oh well. The guy incited him, so it's not really assault. If the guy in the truck wished to press charges he could probably get maybe $5 for the replacement of a novelty flag (That's if the judge didn't throw it out for him obviously being at fault for inciting.) So technically (keyword is technically) it's under freedom of expression. He pissed people off? oh well, that's his right.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

You're right, of course. It IS his right to piss people off. But only with words. Just as it's also those car people's right to piss him off, or wave their country's flag around if they so choose.

However, it's not really his right to walk around and physically touch somebody or their belongings like that, especially in the hostile manner that he did it. Sure, they may have incited him to it by words, but if that's the case, see the above.

And of course, whatever happens in court is nothing, compared to what things like this could incite in terms of "racial" tension, especially considering the situation on the border right now. Of course, those people are to blame for it too, but he's the guy who knocked the flag to the ground, and that's what people will remember, not the smart mouth of some random "white" Americans.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

If the people in the truck (and it appears to be the case as of the video) were using incendiary remarks that constitute "fighting words" (words by definition used for the sole intent to provoke hostility.) then their rights to free speech have actually been revoked from that scenario. That constitutes an aggressive act upon them, and a start of a fight, and the slapping of the flag out of their hands actually is considered and justified retaliatory action to the assault.

So yeah, it's their right to be idiots and wave flags, but if they use incendiary fighting words (and that would be up to the court to decide, they can be as simple as "your momma") then their have voluntarily foregone their rights of expression and approached the territory of assault and aggravation.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

but Hispanics need to understand that they can go fix their own country. they complain about Mexico and then complain about America. if you want to be in America and be American, then stop flying the flag of a country you do not want to be in in the first place. the Hispanics of this country want to change the country for them self’s instead of changing them self’s for this country.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

I can't say I agree with that kind of rationale, but I'll take your word for it.

I still can't really get over the gesture of slapping the flag to the ground, though. Disrespecting a country's flag, regardless of country, kind of piss me off. Maybe I'm just over-sensitive.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by fallow the light
reply to post by andy1033

if you want to be in America and be American, then stop flying the flag of a country you do not want to be in in the first place.

Yes, because it's totally unseen in America to see American's wave flags of other nationalities, right? You know, like people adorning themselves with Irish colors on St. Patty's Day

Or this:

or

America's rich culture comes from it's diversity and unique melding of identity. We identify ourselves not just as Americans but also based on the culture we originated from, even many generations ago. We proudly display our heritages flags, participate in culturally relevant events, and generally wear it on our cuffs for the world to see, whether they like it or not.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

You don't have to agree or even understand that rationale, because it's law, and that's all that matters.

I don't have a problem knocking a flag down, because a flag is just a piece of cloth, it's what we put into it that matters. The American flag is constantly desecrated by buffoons whom wear bedazzled Star-spangled shirts and hoodies, advertise with it, wear pants, denim coats, bandannas even boxer briefs all made with the likeness of the flag. They slap it on the back of their trucks right above their fake novelty ballsack.

I do say that retaliating to fighting words, while technically legally justified, is a poor display of self control. Fighting over words and actions of two (pardon my french) ass-clowns wielding American flags they bought at a Dollar General? Not worth it.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
OMG It's the end of the world. Somebody burned a flag! For pete's sake when will Americans grow up?

we'll remember you said that the next time another country starts to invade you.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

Nah, I'm not American, but I mostly agree.
HOWEVER I have read here on ATS that American Flag has somewhat become a tool used by racists to provoke people. Here in Europe from what I have seen such a use of national flag would be considered sedition (provoking people against other religions etc.?) and would be heavily deemed by major public and severly punished. In this case if indeed flag was used as a tool to provoke him I do not wonder why he hit that flag. What he did was wrong, but those who used the flag for carrying such message are even more guilty.

If people are using the flag to cloth their true message behind it, then let the flag burn. National flag shouldn't be used blatantly everyday to show your believes. Flags should be used only on special occasion as they have important meaning. Please carry your flags with honor. I'm not saying that using flag pattern on clothes is bad or disrepectful, but even with mini flags you should show some respect. I do not know if it such a respectful way to put a flag on your car and wave it everyday. I think that then flag loses som of its meaning

Again this is example that Scandinavian way leads to more balanced society with less political, religious and social unrest. Not to mention better education.(In case someone didn't catch it last sentence was semi-serious...)

[edit on 11-5-2010 by SpeDeZo]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I said it before, I'll say it again: the racist intolerant white individuals provoked the Hispanics. There's no need to instigate those who are discriminated enough.

This is another case of severe racism and somehow, I'm surprised many ATS members are supporting it..

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join