It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic student knocks down american flag

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
When I watched the video, I felt a wide range of emotions, with probably the initial reaction/emotion being anger. I attribute that initial reaction to being a combat veteran, a US citizen, and a male. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized a more complex analysis was required, and I came to following conclusions.

1) We need to take into consideration the age of the young man knocking the flag from the vehicle. At his age (I'm guessing 17-18), a lot of those kinds of outbursts are for shock value. Very little thought is given, with the exception of "what can I do that will get the most rise out these people". Unless he's a sociopath (and unlikely he is), he's probably regretting what he did, and is wondering why he was so stupid.

2) We need to stop seizing on every potentially polarizing event and turning it into a worldwide broadcast. There are going to be situations where someone angers someone else, and maybe often the two people will be of different races, but that doesn't make their argument a racial situation. Take it for what it is, a bunch of young people with too much energy and a flimsy excuse to rant and rave. Turn the camera off and give humanity the benefit of the doubt and the chance to survive.

Don't get me wrong, I sometimes miss the excitement of the firefights. I'm not all about having a coke and a smile while teaching the world to sing in perfect harmony, but I think there are better reasons to go to war with each other than a playground scuffle. Sometimes a molehill is just a molehill.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
OP, you do a disservice to your point by presenting this in such a biased way. It's obvious that the people in the truck were provoking the protesters by shouting racist epithets at them.

I would bet that many of those females around him were family, probably sisters, mothers, maybe a girlfriend or wife... If a truck rolls up on MY protest and starts shouting obscene profanities at my mother, little sister, or friends, you can damn well bet that i'd slap that flag out of his hand too. He wanted to do MUCH more, but slapping the flag out of his hand was the easiest and most opportune way for him to show his disgust physically.

I cannot blame him for slapping the flag out of the guy's hand. You can also see how the other people around him quickly try to defuse the situation by pulling him back and saying something to the effect of "this is not how we want to protest, don't be violent". That shows that they are good people and want to be heard, but are not willing to resort to violence to get their point across.

When i first read your title and your quick synopsis of the events, i thought to myself, "they ought to make that a crime punishable by death", then i watched the video and saw what really happened. It's a shame you choose to misconstrue the events and make it seem like the mexicans were all bad and at fault, while the man with the american flag was innocent. You can never win an argument this way. You will only anger the other side and push them further away. You MUST present evidence fairly and in it's proper context to be effective.

Now go ahead, flame me and call me unamerican for siding with the "mexicans". I don't care... all of my friends and my family would describe me as an incredibly patriotic person. I love my country above anything else. I have a large flag on my wall. A picture of a bald eagle. My room is red white and blue. I cherish this country and our freedoms, but i also recognize our faults. Those protesters, those AMERICAN CITIZENS, have the right to do so. If i were a legal person of hispanic decent, i too would be angry that i had to prove my citizenship because of the color of my skin.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by belial259

Originally posted by pablos
Pity the video does not show properly what provoked the incident.

I assume from the events that followed that racial epithets were hurled at these students.

And that is a justification to knock the "Star Spangled Banner" to the ground?

I believe the American flag is very symbolic of our nation's pride, but not every representation of our flag conveys that message with dignity. We have shirts, shorts, books, all kinds of stuff that have a representation of the American flag and you would likely have no problem throwing it on the floor or sitting on it. If the Hispanic man had attacked an American flag that was properly displayed, I would be angry, but more than likely the flag that was knocked down was probably soaked in beer and fished out from under the rear seat an hour earlier.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Risen

Originally posted by ker2010
No other country in the world would allow this on its own soil.

Actually, the US is the only place that really cares so much about their flag.

Other countries like their flags and everything, but they stop short of losing their minds over something like this.

Without a doubt, the stupidest comment I've seen.

Yeah, I'm constantly bombarded by video's of something OTHER than the U.S. flag being burned.....

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Other countries like their flags and everything, but they stop short of losing their minds over something like this.

Its not about the flag its about showing respect in the country you are in.

You invite a guest into your house. They get a coffee mug off your table and shatter it.

Do you say ohh it was just a $2 mug no big deal. Or do you stand up and say show some respect in my house?

Well, being a Canadian, i'd politely ask them to leave, then write them a strongly worded letter.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Risen]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gamecock
OP, you do a disservice to your point by presenting this in such a biased way. It's obvious that the people in the truck were provoking the protesters by shouting racist epithets at them.

I would bet that many of those females around him were family, probably sisters, mothers, maybe a girlfriend or wife... If a truck rolls up on MY protest and starts shouting obscene profanities at my mother, little sister, or friends, you can damn well bet that i'd slap that flag out of his hand too. He wanted to do MUCH more, but slapping the flag out of his hand was the easiest and most opportune way for him to show his disgust physically.

I cannot blame him for slapping the flag out of the guy's hand. You can also see how the other people around him quickly try to defuse the situation by pulling him back and saying something to the effect of "this is not how we want to protest, don't be violent". That shows that they are good people and want to be heard, but are not willing to resort to violence to get their point across.

When i first read your title and your quick synopsis of the events, i thought to myself, "they ought to make that a crime punishable by death", then i watched the video and saw what really happened. It's a shame you choose to misconstrue the events and make it seem like the mexicans were all bad and at fault, while the man with the american flag was innocent. You can never win an argument this way. You will only anger the other side and push them further away. You MUST present evidence fairly and in it's proper context to be effective.

Now go ahead, flame me and call me unamerican for siding with the "mexicans". I don't care... all of my friends and my family would describe me as an incredibly patriotic person. I love my country above anything else. I have a large flag on my wall. A picture of a bald eagle. My room is red white and blue. I cherish this country and our freedoms, but i also recognize our faults. Those protesters, those AMERICAN CITIZENS, have the right to do so. If i were a legal person of hispanic decent, i too would be angry that i had to prove my citizenship because of the color of my skin.

Ok lets pretend we are in a court of law.
Exhibit A (the video in question)

The video does not allow you to hear if anything was said to the guy who hit the flag. So you are ASSUMING the guys in the truck said something. Assuming doesnt fly in court. All the video shows is the protestor trying to get physical so thats all you can go on.

So based on the video alone the protestor would be the one guilty in a court of law..

Hey thats good enough for me.

PS even if they had said anything still doesnt give you the right to lunge and attack. I dont know why this is so hard for young people this day and age to comprehend.

WORDs no matter how harsh can not be used as a excuse to physically attack someone or their property. Thats the law and always has been.

I feel like strangling Electric Universe because of some of the things he says but if i could i wouldnt its againist the law

[edit on 10-5-2010 by ker2010]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

They referring to the people at the rally. Your not gonna bait me buddy. Go preach about the annunaki

Oh boy...nice try, trying to change the subject to avoid being shown for what you are.

Even they made a broad generalization, but you even went as far as claiming that hispanics all do this when we don't...

BTW, I have also served in the U.S. Navy so I have a lot of respect for the U.S. flg and will continue to do so until I die. So yes I find it insulting when someone like you make broad generalizations of hispanic people...

If you had apologized and agreed it was too broad of a generalization bordering on racism I would not have said anything else, but instead you resorted to call me the racist...

BTW, not even all Mexicans would do this either, but the man who knocked the flag was Mexican, and he does not speak for all hispanic people, and neither does he speak for all Mexicans.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Heh. So reinforcements were called in. I bet it's mighty quiet on the lefty blogs tonight.
This is a foolish, foolish thing to do. You guys are fostering hatred for democrats and racism that you can't even fathom. Just like the 60s, the chickens##t agitators stir the pot from the shadows and their dupes suffer for it- just like the dead kids at Kent State.
Too bad.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
10 years ago, when I was their age, I was too busy studying, doing homework and working 2 part time jobs after class in high school to do things like this.

I mean really, should we just tear down the border and let everyone pour in? Would that really solve everything? Is it going to make this country better?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

They referring to the people at the rally. Your not gonna bait me buddy. Go preach about the annunaki

Oh boy...nice try, trying to change the subject to avoid being shown for what you are.

Even they made a broad generalization, but you even went as far as claiming that hispanics all do this when we don't...

BTW, I have also served in the U.S. Navy so I have a lot of respect for the U.S. flg and will continue to do so until I die. So yes I find it insulting when someone like you make broad generalizations of hispanic people...

If you had apologized and agreed it was too broad of a generalization bordering on racism I would not have said anything else, but instead you resorted to call me the racist...

BTW, not even all Mexicans would do this either, but the man who knocked the flag was Mexican, and he does not speak for all hispanic people, and neither does he speak for all Mexicans.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

Look you are twisting my words and taking them out of context. You know damn well i do not mean all hispanics do this or all mexicans do this or all whites do something or all blacks do something.

Maybe i shoulda said mexican then who would i offended?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by KANE OG

Without a doubt, the stupidest comment I've seen.

Yeah, I'm constantly bombarded by video's of something OTHER than the U.S. flag being burned.....

They only burn it because they know it upsets you so much . It is a circular kind of dilemma . It is not a stupid comment, it is very accurate . The US is the only place that devotes this slavish slobbering attitude towards a piece of cloth.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by pablos
reply to post by ker2010

Well that's good mate.

Why don't you just go out right now and prove it. Go bash a bunch of mexicans-americans. Back it up your mouth. Sounds like you are a little punk that just needs to get over yourself more than anything else.

Look you are making a big deal over nothing. These guys were acting like jerks, and emotions got heated.

Comments like yours do nothing but spread more hatred and fear.

As I said earlier.

Build a bridge and GET OVER IT.

NO, Why don't you get over it. Go listen to some Midnight Oil and let this matter be handled without your .02. Besides, if it wasn't for that flag, you would more than likely have been given a different flag to salute to about 70 years ago. Would you have wanted us to tell you to "get over it" as your relatives were learning Japanese?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs
Heh. So reinforcements were called in. I bet it's mighty quiet on the lefty blogs tonight.
This is a foolish, foolish thing to do. You guys are fostering hatred for democrats and racism that you can't even fathom. Just like the 60s, the chickens##t agitators stir the pot from the shadows and their dupes suffer for it- just like the dead kids at Kent State.
Too bad.

Who are "you guys", here? Which "lefty blogs" are you referring to? Exactly what are you alluding to that happened in the 60's when you mention agitators in the shadows and suffering dupes? I know this is a short post, but it seems necessary to ask for clarification here.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by JohnnyElohim]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelinside451
10 years ago, when I was their age, I was too busy studying, doing homework and working 2 part time jobs after class in high school to do things like this.

I mean really, should we just tear down the border and let everyone pour in? Would that really solve everything? Is it going to make this country better?

Well we should let everyone pour in. Cause the TRUE racists are saying if your mexican its ok to be here illegal. But if your a ethiopian or someone in another 3rd world country and cant get here you arent allowed to be here.

So because your mexican and border the US you get to come over illegally something people of even poorer worst off countrys cant do. So whose racists now?

Maybe we should build a bridge and let everyone who wants to come over come. That would be the non racists thing to do right?>
Either its ok for all people of the world to come here illegally or its ok for none. If you claim its only ok for mexicans then you are being racist!

SO pro illegals and racist labelers is this what you are wanting?

I think maybe this ?? deserves its own thread.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by ker2010]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Doesnt matter what was said its against the law to lash out at someone physically or their property your argument is futile.

Never said it wasn't. Nice to know, though, that you can take an entire post and ignore it because you have, are, and will be entirely destroyed.

I find the immigration debate generally consists of idiots yelling at idiots on the other side with voices of pragmatism and realism few and far between.

Be a landmark of sense in the American wasteland of political thought. Read something, discuss/debate something well, and try to have a civil discussion.

That'd be a start.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by pablos

What's hilarious about all that PC BS, that the Mexicans were there first, and that whites are evil conquerors etc. etc. is that the Mexicans' ancestors were some of the most despicable racist conquerors in all of history.

The Aztecs were absolutely hated by all the aborigines around them, because they went on bloodthirsty raids to collect slaves to sacrifice to their evil gods. Their sacrificial rituals were horrific to say the least.

Their other ancestors had this name, 'conquistadors'. Care to translate that into English? Guess what those moral geniuses did to those they considered racially inferior (and then interbred with)? Ever heard of Cortes? How many did he massacre during his conquest of the Aztec empire?

You can forget the historical moral high ground, because you won't find it. The only reason illegal Mexicans are not being driven out of this country as we speak is because the power elites want it this way. They still plan to unify the US and Mexico. By the way, when that happens, guess what happens to the soverignty of Mexico, and guess what happens to all those beautiful beach resort areas? They will end up in the hands of the elites and the ordinary mexican will be locked out of his own land. Mark my words.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
wow..its just a flag dudes..get over it. I mean..the USA is a plutocracy..those people dont give a crap for the amrican people..all they care is about money and world domination.. and yea..there is better things to worry about..all they trying to do is make us fight amongst each other.. READ ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE PLACE YOU LIVE IN..AND STOP CORPORATE NEWS TELLING LIES TO YOU!

link   
I AGREE THE USA WOULD TAKE IT FROM THEM.. IF WE COULD GET ALL THE POOP OFF THE STREETS..lets all send a bill to mexico for the trash pick up...

link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
Check out this thread.

An American teacher in California called a 13-year old's drawing of the American flag offensive!! Seems like everyone wants to destroy a piece of American Patriotism now a days.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And i bet all the sympathizers agree with the teacher

This case is actually pretty ridiculous. It's one thing for a bunch of kids to think they can parade through the streets like they own anything but for a TEACHER, some who TEACHES, to call the flag offensive, I find it crazy.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join