It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The OOB Mirror Phenomenon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Please excuse the grandiose title of the thread but thought it might go someway to explaining the general idea of what I am trying to describe with this post. I am wondering if any other ATS members has ever experienced a similar 'feeling'. Every now and again, and seemingly at random times in my life, when I am looking into a mirror I suddenly become very aware of my self and start to feel like I am not real or almost like I am outside myself. This is often accompanied by a strange sensation that everything i.e. myself and reality is an illusion and almost like my consciousness has leapt from me and is staring back. I sometimes don't recognise my reflection when this is happening... It's quite unnerving when it happens and always requires me to shake myself out of it and leaves me feeling very strange for some time afterwards.

Anybody have any experience with this and/or an explanation as to what might be happening?

Thanks.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
i know exactly what your talking about.

its like all of the sudden your perspective is thrown out of first person. and your aware of your own presence.

kinda freaky, i always have a smoke and it seems to throw me back into place.

::edit::

clarification - cannabis not tobacco

[edit on 10-5-2010 by LurkerMan]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I have had the exact thing happen, but unfortunately I have no idea what it means or what happened. It´s scary. But, you´re not alone in this!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

covers mirror meditation and the "feeling" your on about

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jericanman

Thank for the link, which is interesting as the only other times I have felt similar feelings is when practising exclusive concentration meditation, and sometimes when having a Sleep Paralysis episode.

And it's nice to know I'm not alone in having this experience (not that I thought I would be.) Have asked friends on some occasions but none understand what I am describing.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
i know what you mean but I can't offer any explanation at all.

Maybe it's related to dejavu, like a slight lag in observing and being acknowledged in the brain?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by 80r0m1r

Do you realize now how magnificent you are as you observe your self from the form of your SELF that your self is observing?

It's our holographic universe giving you little hints and peeks.

We've created our selves to observe our selves as we maneuver this 3D realm. So you seeing a new landscape as you look in the mirror, is just you beginning to wake up to the fact that you are multi dimensional ... and this human portion is just one aspect of that.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 80r0m1r

I have often experienced this exact phenomenon. Actually, about 50% of the time I look in a mirror this happens. I've always tried to "follow" the sensation to see what would happen, but I always "snap" back into the present moment.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It is like you are looking at some machine that you are operating and it is not really you, kinda like your brain, soul or what ever it is, is taking a look at the real world and it knows that your body is not the real you.
I just look away and keep on doing regular things and it goes away, I will check that link for further exploration on this.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
all good descriptions, everybody's pretty much right on the money.

top topics

join