It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Says Be A Teacher, Or Be A Deathmetal Singer, You Can't Be Both.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I really don't know what to think.

Thomas Gurrath

web.orange.co.uk...

School governors have sacked a philosophy teacher from his job after discovering his secret life - as a blood smeared death metal rock singer.

By day shaven-headed Thomas Gurrath, 29, discussed ethics with his 14-year-old pupils at his high school in Stuttgart.

But by night he calls himself The Bloodbeast and writhes around on stage covered in animal blood with topless backing singers and his band Debauchery.

The band's biggest hits include 'Kill Maim Burn' and 'Torture Pit'.

"It was very worrying to listen to his music and then realise he was teaching our children," said one parent.

Shocked officials ordered Gurrath to quit saying his performances were a form of mental instability that made him unsafe to be around children.

They ordered him to choose between teaching and his music - saying he could no longer teach anywhere in Baden-Wuerttemberg state unless he gave up the band.

But Gurrath said he was too addicted to death metal music to quit and agreed to give up his career as a teacher instead.

He has a right to do what he wants in his own time when not teaching.

Then again it's not my kind of music.

I'd like to know what proof they have that deathmetal music makes him mentally unstable & likely to harm children.

Could it not be argued that like most performances on stage, it is only that, a performance/an act, he is merely an actor performing the act, for a crowd who want to sea this sort of gig.

Also story says he was sacked & that he agreed to give up teaching, not sure which.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by acrux]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I like how blatantly biased that article was. I had trouble reading that without sneezing.

I'd rather have my children taught by a full spectrum of tolerant people from different walks of life than prude control freak lunatics. Who's to say they know any better than anyone else?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Good for him!

I wonder though.. Was he a good teacher?
Im sure if he was not a good teacher, or if he was truly "disturbed' as much as they say he was upon finding out he was a singer, why they DID NOT catch on to his behaviour BEFORE HAND.

They didnt.

They are judging him based off of an ENTERTAINMENT based career.
One of which has NOTHING to do with, or has any conjuncture with being a teacher.

This guy has my support all the way.

This is America, Land of the Free. Well, except in this case.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Be sure not to miss, "Butcher Of Bitches"

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
This is just silly, lord worm from Cryptopsy taught english, he never got any stupidity like this thrown his way. I can safely say that this does not happen often in regards to death/black metal affecting ones daytime profession. Whatever, stupidity and ignorance must be on the rise again.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
But you can be an airline pilot like Bruce Dickinson.Irons fans know who i me
an.
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Sorry couldn't understand a single word but found lyrics to Butcher of Bitches plus others. I have to say not the most pleasent of songs in my own opinion, but if he knows the subject he was teaching, then that is all that matters.

BUTCHER OF BITCHES
www.free-lyrics.org...
Rapist of whores
Drowned in gore
I rage and roar
Little bitches I've got
The Slayer of Sluts
Feeds on your guts

Time for killing
Virgin blood spilling
It's so chilling
Lying on the bed
Missing arm and head
Small # is wet
I am the Butcher Of Bitches

Searching for blood
Wait until you're rot
I've got you slut

Crazy and insane
Bitch die in pain
I#m a perverse man
I am the Butcher Of Bitches

LORDS OF BATTLE
www.free-lyrics.org...
We give no quarter and no mercy
We are gore obsessed and bloodthirsty
We are the warriors of metal
With swords and axes ready for battle

Time to give up
We want your blood

We are the troops of doom
Killers killing in the killing zone
We are Death Metal maniacs
We don't give a #ing #

We are searching for fresh blood
We do not wait until you're rot
We are crazy and insane
Mother#er let's die in pain

Time to give up
We want your blood

Yeah - we are here in the warzone
We are here to break your #ing cranium
We are sinister and evil
We are the legion of the devil

ALCOHOL FUELED BRUTALITY
www.free-lyrics.org...
Empty Bourbon Whiskey bottle
Totally drunken rocker
Totally aggressive manner
Time to take my knife and hammer

Crunch your bones and cranium
Break your ribcage just for fun
Spine is broken - feel the pain
Violation, jugulation with the chain

Breaking your teeth and jaw
With a heavy iron saw
Cutting your head off
Also arms and legs and other stuff

Feel the #ing pain

[edit on 10-5-2010 by acrux]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I think Heavy Metal can be tuned down for the kids ,Just a little lounge music.vids.myspace.com...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I like those lounge takes on heavy metal and other genres. Richard Cheese's Down With the Sickness take was awesome.

One more thing, your sig could be argued. His mistake is he never lived his life. Just an insight from me to you. Keep on Loungin against the machine!

Oh yea the thread. People are idiots. Aren't there strippers teaching as well. As long as the children aren't being influenced, there really shouldn't be a stink about it.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by ventian]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I like it, very funny.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

yeah ,I cant work out if no man actually did anything, but thats for another thread.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Well, I don't know what the laws are like in Germany, so whatever "rights" the guy might have in, say, the U.S., may not be the same there. Germany is usually very quick to censor media for violence, but has very little, if any, for sex. A lot of violent video games get banned there, but so far as I know nothing gets banned for sex. It's just the way society there values these things.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
You'd never think that some forms of Art would be based on destruction (not just music) that is taught in schools, as is History and violence in Religious Studies and P.E.

These parents should go to a Death Metal show and destroy any stigma of what they expect to see, from being brainwashed by MTV. There simply musicians who have their own individual style of expression and use extremity to push it through to the audience.
Do the parents really think he's covered in Blood or means what he says?, how about their kids watching Horror Movies, what kind of influence are the parents on the kids then..hypocritical much?

People like these need to open their mind outside the brainwashed hip-hop cr-p and realise theres more creative forms of music to be found.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
Well, I don't know what the laws are like in Germany, so whatever "rights" the guy might have in, say, the U.S., may not be the same there. Germany is usually very quick to censor media for violence, but has very little, if any, for sex. A lot of violent video games get banned there, but so far as I know nothing gets banned for sex. It's just the way society there values these things.

Yeah, the best example is the game Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy in US), in germany we got all the sex scenes and the sex minigame. In the US all those scenes were taken out, while the violent was still in there.

As for that Guy: As long as he is a good teacher, there isn't a problem. Most musician know they're just entertainer. Of course there are some stupid church burning black metal guys up in norway and sweden, but there are in a minority. Just look at Blackie Lawless, in the early 80's he was singing about "# like a Beast" and throwed Blood and raw meat at the crowd - while he is a rather intelligent guy who likes to talk about politics. Same with Alice Cooper and many others.

And just because you sing about Blood, Gore and Violence, doesn't mean that you have a sick mind.
Some years ago there was a nice article in Rock Hard (German Rock/Metal magazine) about a priest who was also a guitarist in a hard rock band. Buy day he spread the word of god and by night he rocked out to AC/DCs Highway to Hell.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
First time poster.

I've got to say, this is ridiculous. I guess where ever there are schools, there's bound to be some over-the-top, idiotic conclusions that are quickly jumped to, because 'oh no, not the poor children!' I mean I see how this might scare some people, but the music career is an entire separate entity. As stated before, if he was really a bad teacher, I'm sure something would've been seen or reported by now, but all of a sudden his hobby has to interfere with the "seriousness" of the school. Schools aren't like what they used to be, everyone automatically overreacts about something, and hell, they're not even teaching what they should be, just some of the things so they can dumb us down and so we become stupid zombies. Schools are just another hypocritical branch of government, it's all the same. I'm not sure how much you get paid for being a teacher in Deutschland, but here in the States, you don't get very much. So if it's the same case over there, then good for him, because his band seems to be doing pretty good, and even I just heard a song and liked it [I'm not very big on metal to begin with].
So yeah, it's not about your image or your hobby, you can still be an intelligent being even if you have a bunch of piercings, tattoos, and listen to death metal. Another thing, did he even bring it into the school? I'm sure he kept it separate.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

music is my passion,my life, and from years the 1990-99 i engulfed massive amounts of death metal. i can literally talk for days on the subject and not repeat myself. i loved the flash and aggression of the guitars, the complex time signatures, the extreme technical prowess required to play it masterfully. but you know what? DEATH METAL SUCKS AND ITS ALL BECAUSE OF THE VOCALS! it takes minimal talent to sound like an animal in pain,and the lyrics are always garbage. and they know it. seems to me if they were proud of what they had to say they would want you to understand what was they were saying. i can definitely see both sides of the arguement, but i think he should do the music a favor and keep his day job. still trying to get my 20.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by riffraff]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I have to say I would stand for his cause, however there is one factor there I just can not justify. Covered in animal blood, How and Why? Where do they get this blood and is that even legal? Im thinking thats where the mental instibility idea might have come from, i mean i think anyone can understand a love for music but thats just wack. IMO

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Well, we know as a fact that one can be a punk rock singer and be a professor at the same time. Greg Graffin, lead singer of the band 'Bad Religion', has a PHD in zoology and teaches paleontology at UCLA. I guess the line is being drawn at Death Metal.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

If you knew anything about Vocal ability in Death Metal you'd know that gutteral vocals can only be achievable only by inhaled or exhaled breathing, it takes extreme mastering to be able to do either.
You cant just grab joe-bloggs off the street and say "sound like Chris Barnes for the day" Anymore than you can take a average Rock Musician and hope they can play power-chords at the same time signatures.

MANY Metal Artists outside their work are just regular, normal guys. From Postmen, Physicists, to Music Teachers. Should an actor be stopped from being a teacher because he plays as characters (or directs) in Horror Movies on weekends, as a hobby.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join