It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Years in Solitary For Refusing to Cut Hair

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

The only thing imposing about Gibson is his long black dreadlocks, resting on the front of his shoulders so they won't drag the ground as he shuffles along in his orange jumpsuit.

It is his hair - winding locks he considers a measure of his Rastafarian faith - that makes him a threat, according to Virginia Department of Corrections Operating Procedure No. 864.1.

The rule took effect on Dec. 15, 1999. Inmates had two choices: cut their hair no longer than their collars and shave their beards, or be placed in administrative segregation

Gibson never entertained the thought of cutting his hair when the policy was announced or during the 10 long years since. "Jah didn't lead I to feel that this plight was burden enough to bow," he says.

Rastafarians regard Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie I, who was known as Ras Tafari before he rose to power in 1930, as the second coming of Christ. They believe Jah inhabits them so there it no real need for a church. They smoke marijuana as a sacrament and adhere to a vegetarian diet.

While some view growing their hair as optional, most Rastafarians see it as demanded by the Nazarite Vow in the Bible (Numbers 6:5), "There shall no razor come upon his head."

For more than 10 years he has lived in segregation at the Greensville Correctional Center, spending at least 23 hours every day in a cell the size of a gas station bathroom.

www.etaiwannews.com...

Maybe solitary-confinement is preferable to life within the general prison community ?

I think I'd prefer it, anyway

But why would a god ... any god ... care about whether or not the creatures on this planet cut off the dead keratin which insists on sprouting from their scalp ?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I can't answer your question about God as I know nothing of Rastafarianism. What I can say, however, is that is a stupid rule. Why the hell does it matter if his hair is longer than his shoulders?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
i and i say bun all dem baldhead bombaclots so i can feel irie nah boy, lord ha mercy

but on a serious note, I've got respect for this particular rastafarian on this particular issue. I'm a little perplexed as well as to what, if any rational reason a deity would want our hair to grow all nappy and long for. I like dreads, but refuse to be another whiteboy faking the funk, hope jahova doesn't hold it against i.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
ive been "faking the funk" for almost 10 years now. not for religious reasons but because i like my hair this way

but id be totally bummed stuck in a box with them. or getting them snipped.

maybe growing your hair is good for your energy. acting like an antenna to pick up better reception.?? lots of old religions use dreads as a way to get closer to their Deities.

take a look at my thread ( dreadlocks and spirituality )

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 10-5-2010 by jericanman]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This should be a matter or religious freedom. It's directly from the bible that it is sin to cut your hair. If you believe that then why wouldn't you be allowed to grow it? Are they afraid you shave them off and make a rope and climb the walls or something?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Why ?
One word.

Order.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

The reason the prison wants him to cut it is that it can be used as a strangulation method.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Some judge does that kind of thing to me? The minute I get out of the pen, I go kick his ass that's for sure...or sue him... depends on what kind of mood I'm in.
But eh since he's a rastafarian, he's probably just gonna go smoke a joint.

I mean this is surely not constitutional.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
That's what prison is about - control or loss of it.

Once you comply with the rules and they see that you are content having accepted or adjusted to their rules they change the rules again as a means of punishment.

It is a game of wits and I'm not really sure who's winning the game here, though I'd say Gibson appears to have the upper hand by defying his keepers. Shawshank Redemption has a bit of that.

Solitary confinement is essentially torture and even the strongest eventually begin to break down.

Nobody chooses solitary confinement except the socially inept or those like this guy who chooses to battle the rules.

The few privileges available in prisons helps people deal with passing the time, not having those privileges such as solitary confinement with less access to people, media, books & other matter to fill your time leaves one with the silence of their own thoughts with the uncontrollable sounds plumbing, foot steps & doors clanking that can lead to madness depending on how long you have to deal with it.

10 days in the hole can be a vacation away from the daily battle & madness of prison life, but 10 years can drive a man insane.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I agree that it is a bit ridiculous, and that he should be able to decide for himself how long his hair is. However, I can definitely see why this happened -- prisons are dangerous and the guards want to remove as many weapons from the prisoners as possible. Maybe the guards think it's possible for the Rastafarian (sorry, no name or I'd refer to him by name) to physically hurt others with the weight of his dreads. I've had friends with dreads, and they never seemed like weapons to me, but that could be the train of logic in this case.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It's prison !!! straight up, you have no choices, .... this is like a guy going on strike because he doesn't like the prison food.

You have to abide by their rules, ... it's a shame he's going to waste the rest of his life living in segregation because he's under some false impression that god wants his hair long. So in that sense, I don't feel sorry for him.

This is like, telling the guards to leave the prison door open because santa clause is supposed to come.

just ridiculous

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Long hair is a safety issue.

It goes along the same rules as the inmates not having a metal fork with their meals.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Long hair is NOT an kind of safety issue. Nonsense. The Federal prison system has NO problems with any kind of hair, and would not dare try and put people in solitary because of it. I cannot imagine why the Fed courts have not put a halt to it already.

People in prison have so many ways they can do wrong, hair is just not an issue. Guards can search inmates anytime and for no reason, and can search hair as well as anything else.

Here is the real reason: Redneck prison staff simply are a bunch of baldhead bumbleclots that hate anyone that looks different, and they hate Rastas because they will never ever forsake the ganja, and can get it even IN prison. Lets see, the guards cannot keep WEAPONS and DRUGS out of prisons, cannot stop inmate rape, cannot do anything except keep a basic order, so why bother a Rasta or anyone else?

The LAW says that the prison cannot forcibly cut hair, so they just throw them in solitary...brutal crap..guards have a lot to do and hair length is not an issue...this is all due to ignorance and hate.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by richierich

Doesnt matter if you want to acknowledge it or not, long hair is a safety issue.

Imagine how it can be used as a weapon.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracle Man
reply to post by richierich

Doesnt matter if you want to acknowledge it or not, long hair is a safety issue.

Imagine how it can be used as a weapon.

I suppose they should all be naked then too?

Imagine what a T shirt can do if wrapped around someones neck?

A pair of trousers, or just one trouser leg?

You obviously have no idea at all about the prison culture, razors, and tool shop blades and puncture type weapons are preferred, quick, easy to hide, plenty of them in most prisons and contact lasting 1-2 seconds as they walk past the victim.

The second one is hot water with sugar in it as it makes it stick to the skin, hot water is available in all prisons for drinks.

The time it would take for this rasta to use a lock as an weapon and attempt to strangle someone is minutes, too risky would be caught first.

This is an control not safety issue, the same reason army recruits have their heads shaved to depersonalise them and make them amenable to brainwashing, control and becoming just a number not a person.

Bob Marley explains it below, the rastas see it as an sign that since becoming spiritual they, the locks represent the growth of the Mind & Spirit with the Body:

Peace love and this is religious persecution full stop.

Elf.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Its not a weapon for him you narrowed minded fool.

He gets into a fight with someone and how easy do you think it is to get that person off of him while they have a handful of dreads?

I know more about prison life then I care to share with you and I know even more about fighting.

You compared hair to clothing which shows just how weak your arguement is in favor of him keeping his hair long.

Clothes are a necessity.

Hair is not.

If you can't see that then please do not reply to me as you will not get one from me.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracle Man
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Its not a weapon for him you narrowed minded fool.

My mind is bigger than the Sky matey, so is yours so I wont call you narrow minded, thanks!, maybe though it means to open a bit so that you experience this potential in yourself first.

He gets into a fight with someone and how easy do you think it is to get that person off of him while they have a handful of dreads?

About the same as as an hand full of fingers, or an hanfull or gonads, or an eyeball in his hand!

Or even the sleeve on his shirt, or his trouser legs, just the same.

I know more about prison life then I care to share with you and I know even more about fighting.

How on earth could you possibily have any idea?

And I bet my stretch was a lot lot longer than yours lol.

Ps my daddy is bigger than yours!

You compared hair to clothing which shows just how weak your arguement is in favor of him keeping his hair long.

Its not an argument, im just stating fact, if you use someones Hair or clothes or fingers or ear lobes or gonads or toes to hold onto all the same, I know some finger locks that no one could force me out of!

Its in favour of his Religeous Rights and basic Human Rights, it is his right as an Rasta to grow his hair as such, that is all I defend.

Clothes are a necessity.

Really why?

Did humans evolve with clothes on?

Do those tribes who dont wear them have special powers to overcome this lack of an Necessity?

Are Nudists wrong?

Hair is not.

Tell that to your Lungs, nasal passages and such like!!!

If you can't see that then please do not reply to me as you will not get one from me.

I am free to reply as I like, maybe I just want to show others the counter argument to your as shown slightly confused thinking on this issue.

Again this is his belief and right to follow whatever religeon he wants, and his strength of will to stay in 10 years in solitary to defend his faith is even if misguided to be admired in a way.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
just had to bump my new thread

www.belowtopsecret.com...

deadlock roll call

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Hair as a weapon? unreal. no way. it would hurt way too bad to try and use hair as anything...and WHY in the world would someone use HAIR to strangle someone when they have access to rope, cloth, all manners of paper..etc. An inmate can make a rope worthy of strangling with anything found in a prison....and to say that hair might be used is silly as a reason to deny it for people.

Please link us to ONE, just ONE verified story of a Rasta using his hair to strangel anyone...even ONE example? If not, then it is a fantasy and not even serious enough to consider.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This may sound cold but I dont have any sympathy for him.

I doubt his religion would have applauded his crimes of robbery, abduction and gun charges, the reason he was sent to prison in the first place.

Dont get me wrong I have nothing against dreadlocks (im loving jericanmans ), and I have nothing against rastafarians.

But if you do the crime, then take the punishment, regardless.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join