It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.A.P - 22nd April Manchester (Confirmed: ISS - thought was UFO)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

As per the previous night. This time I was going to make sure I had the videocamera ready with the battery in. I estimated that if I was able to go out around 3:30am and setup, I would get a good vantage point (somewhere at the back of the garden) and try and record it as the object passed over the house. I borrowed my brothers binoculars, his are better than mine, i headed out and it must of been about 3:45am, I wasn't really setup at all and it must of been later than I realised, I saw the orb appear, in exactly the same flight pattern as the night before!! I only had the binoculars, so I had a split decision to make, run inside,and retrieve the videocamera and record without the laptop or just leave it, but i couldnt just leave it, what if this is the only other chance I'd get?

So I did it, I ran indoors, got the videocamera and ran outside, I ran to the side of the house (it's darker) and it already had passed overhead, I switched on and hit record. I got footage of this orb, but then it started moving away quickly, so I ran further (you can actually see the ground and hear me running on the video) I stood on the outer wall, and aimed my camera into the sky and regained a track on the object, for the video camera to recapture and track it so quickly i was quite amazed. I filmed it, as it moved at high speed across the skies and moved further and further away, so much so that the autofocus kept adjusting and at points in the clip the orb is only noticeable via a brief halo :-/

Anyway. I couldn't film it any longer, It lost me, it moved that far out my videocamera was focusing on nothing but darkskies and stars. In my mind I remember cursing that I didnt have the Panasonic SD60 I'd been saving up for yet. Also I wondered what it could possibly be that moved that quickly? I had so many questions. I got back indoors and the first thing I noticed about the footage is i'd not setup the time/date function on the videocamera what a rookie mistake.

Secondly, because I was constantly fighting autofocus (you cant switch it off) I couldn't believe how well i'd kept track of the object, and to still bring it into the middle of the screen, I was really quite pleased.

So finally the outcome. I have this on videocasette, I have a VHS to DVD converter and I hope to try and put this on a file on the laptop. However I am holding off on publishing just yet, 1 because of the poor quality and 2. because I decided to stay out a 3rd night. See if it returned. I wanted to see if this object had a repeat return pattern every morning at around the same time. So on the morning of the 23rd of April I sat out and waited from 3:20am until 4:45am and nothing. Which makes my sighting of the nights before even more bizarre.

I have referred the video and incident to a well known and regarded friend. I wanted some advice before making the video public. If the choice to go ahead and publish it goes ahead, I will return here and post it up with an update.

Update.
Having spoken to a friend who is also a contact on ATS (MMN). I have summarized that even though the video does lack detail. I am going to Publish it. The Youtube video I have published is here and is the same footage I have available on my computer. I am still in the process of saving up for a new videocamera.

Any chance someone here could imbed the Youtube video properly? Please? I did actually try the youtube video box but it doesn't appear to be functioning.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Superiorraw]

MOD EDIT: Fix YT link

[edit on May 9th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

Edited title, per OP's request

[edit on June 30th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I cant edit your YT vid because the link is not pointing to anywhere.

Take the numbers (in the URL) between the v= and the & and place between the code: [yvid] [ /yvid]

Take out space before /

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
One thing I would like to add to the actual event; I've recently been reading 'need to know' by Timothy Good. If any of you have this book in your collection turn to page 135
Under Section 9 - Navy Intelligence - Korea
"The objects had a 'Silvered Mirror' Appearance with a reddish glow surrounding them, they were shaped somewhat like a coolie's hat, with oblong ports from which emanated a copper green light which gradually shifted to Pale pastel coloured lights and back to the copper green again. Above the ports was a shimmering red ring which encircled the top portion"

Whilst my footage doesn't show the actual ports, it does display the same colour attributes, the pale pastel glow and change from red to green and pastel can be seen within the first few moments of the footage.

I thought I'd add that to the event as I had read this section recently.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thank you so much for the help
it's appreciated.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I hate to say it but I believe this is the ISS. It was very visible over UK recently.

Schedule for April

Here is the schedule for when it will fly over Manchester in May

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I think it's the ISS,
It's very bright, and comes in fast mostly from WSW and Westerly, (you don't say direction of travel) I watched it twice on Friday night, although Spacetracker only listed one passover.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Superiorraw

Superiorraw.....

Thank you for mentioning me in your opening post.

I am again sorry that I have not been able to offer more commentary during our discussions regarding this case. I have been either overseas or interstate for most of the past 6 weeks & this has made it very difficult to sort out certain things such as the video problems I endured trying to view your original non-YT video.

Based on our discussions & your "Sky Watch" website, I commend you highly for your approach to this vexed topic of UFO's.

I will get back to you with further comments & thoughts.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks for that link to the ISS. Can you provide me with exact information on that link, I did click it, but it brought up a table of start and end times, it said that the ISS made two passovers both on the 22nd and one at 10am and one at 10pm?

My sighting was at around 3:45am in the morning.

Unless I've misunderstood the table completely I dont think my sighting was that, also can anyone get me good footage of the ISS moving across the nightsky? does it move quickly across the night sky, stop and then continue moving again, sometimes speeding up?

I'm completely open to suggestions and plausible explanations for what it is I am witnessing but i'd like geniune information to back it up and explain it better.

In friendship
Rich

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Superiorraw.....

You should be able to locate some reasonable ISS videos on YT.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superiorraw
Unless I've misunderstood the table completely I dont think my sighting was that, also can anyone get me good footage of the ISS moving across the nightsky? does it move quickly across the night sky, stop and then continue moving again, sometimes speeding up?

I'm completely open to suggestions and plausible explanations for what it is I am witnessing but i'd like geniune information to back it up and explain it better.

Only time for a couple of comments. I think I saw your video at Youtube, and it cried out for a tripod and no AF, as you well know. If you want to show the speed an object travels, your camera MUST be steady, and there must be background showing. Zoom back, preferably enough to show a few lights, that will also help the AF to lock. One tiny dot is not enough for normal AF, it will keep hunting until it finds something big enough to show several pixels to do the contrast-check on.

The ISS moves relatively slowly through the sky, and it moves very steadily. But as it goes from sunshine to the earth's shadow, it can disappear quite suddenly or vice versa.

At times like you are referring to, the most likely culprits might be:
- an international overflight by a commercial airliner - I'm being lazy, are there flight paths over your area that might involve very long flights?
- an air courier service - these are often small fast jets that do 'moonlight runs' to deliver urgent stuff

The thing that is interesting is the claim that it changed direction - *that's where you really need verification by the video footage*.

As they say, if you don't have the images, "it didn't happen"... I'm not having a shot at you, but you know what I mean... The folks who love making up stories have ruined it for everyone else.

Added..
PS - A quick tip. You also should spend some time researching your local airports, and looking carefully at approach paths. (What is the equivalent to Flightaware in the UK?) Then you can also give your approximate location, and the direction the camera was pointing, to help the analysis. Similarly, use Stellarium or similar to identify any planets or stars that you might capture (that's if you ever to get to see a clear sky - I've heard what it's like in the UK...
)

[edit on 26-5-2010 by CHRLZ]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

CHRLZ.....

I have the original non-Youtube video from Superiorraw.

Unfortunately, no matter what I've tried (codec updates, etc...) I keep getting a codec error & I can't play the video.

Would you like me to e-mail the video file to you for your review & possible critique?

Superiorraw feels we will be able to see more detail if we review his original file.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Hi, If you look starting at about 23sec, the orb takes close to a 90 deg.
right turn. So I dont think its the ISS.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Here is a clear shot of the ISS I took last year.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
CHRLZ.....

I have the original non-Youtube video from Superiorraw.

Unfortunately, no matter what I've tried (codec updates, etc...) I keep getting a codec error & I can't play the video.

Would you like me to e-mail the video file to you for your review & possible critique?

Superiorraw feels we will be able to see more detail if we review his original file.

Whilst I appreciate the offer, no thanks. Two reasons.

I gotta be honest, and say that I doubt whether a larger view will reveal anything much of use. It's just too shaky, and hardly ever in focus.

Secondly, I'm not a video whiz - my expertise is in still images, and while I know how to capture good/useful video, my expertise on the digitising and codec area is very limited.

And superiorraw, may I offer a little cautionary note - I am just a tiny bit concerned by some of the things you have said in this thread... Don't forget to do your homework before making claims! Eg:

..moved further and further away, so much so that the autofocus kept adjusting

No, it's not really the movement or distance that causes the AF to rack back and forth. It's the fact that AF NEEDS a decent length contrasty edge to do its stuff. A single bright dot isn't anywhere near enough, and it will continually rack back and forth trying to find something better. Only very sophisticated AF systems can handle this sort of subject. That's why anyone who is serious about this type of work just uses manual focus... (And sadly, most AF systems are also DUMB. It would be relatively simple for the camera manufacturer to default to infinity focus if the scene is close to 100% dark. Instead, they hunt around more at the close end of the focus range, where the object is so far o-o-f it can't even be seen).

..Whilst my footage doesn't show the actual ports, it does display the same colour attributes, the pale pastel glow and change from red to green and pastel can be seen within the first few moments of the footage.

Be careful of assuming you have a match, after you have just read a vivid description of something in a book (as an aside, do you think Mr Good may have a bit of a bias, given he very strongly believes aliens are already amongst us?)... It seems you are implying that there should be 'ports'- why? Good observation works the OTHER way. You need to observe the object dispassionately, noting exactly what it looks like without expecting something. When observing something tiny and twinkling, you may see what you want to see...

*Any* bright object near the horizon will 'scintillate', showing varying rainbow colors and pastels. Sirius and Venus are *notorious* for doing this, but so will aircraft landing lights... It's because the air the light travels through is of many different densities, and the light gets slightly refracted and spread into its component parts in the same way a prism does, but very erratically.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to curb your enthusiasm - you should keep at it and I applaud your efforts to do things 'right'. But try to remember to approach things with a scientist's careful, considered, educated eye..

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
First of all I apologise for the delay in replying.
Thanks to Yeesby for the posting of the ISS footage.

Now onto some points mentioned by Chrlz.

Referring to your previous comment:
And superiorraw, may I offer a little cautionary note - I am just a tiny bit concerned by some of the things you have said in this thread... Don't forget to do your homework before making claims!

Eg:
..moved further and further away, so much so that the autofocus kept adjusting

No, it's not really the movement or distance that causes the AF to rack back and forth. It's the fact that AF NEEDS a decent length contrasty edge to do its stuff. A single bright dot isn't anywhere near enough, and it will continually rack back and forth trying to find something better. Only very sophisticated AF systems can handle this sort of subject. That's why anyone who is serious about this type of work just uses manual focus... (And sadly, most AF systems are also DUMB. It would be relatively simple for the camera manufacturer to default to infinity focus if the scene is close to 100% dark. Instead, they hunt around more at the close end of the focus range, where the object is so far o-o-f it can't even be seen).

Point noted. But please also keep in mind that whilst I am persistent and enthusiastic, I am also an amateur, so I will learn and i am not so big headed to accept I may be wrong on occassions about things. Having already spoken at detail in the camcorder and skywatch discussion thread, I did explain my videocamera is unable to switch off auto focus, which is why i am saving for a better videocamera

Referring back to the Timothy Good - Need to know - Navy Intelligence comparison. I never stated the object I had in my footage was the same object. Just that at the time of reading the book and viewing the early footage the same colour patterns were displayed in the footage when compared to the testimony, I just thought it was odd and worth noting as they shared the same colour pattern. Whenever I have done any research, I've always collaborated any source material to match up possible patterns. I find it odd that after 50 to 60 years of research that so many sightings and so many different variances of objects that the same colour patterns could re-emerge in testimonies and there wouldnt be 0 truth to it.

I maintain that if i take video camera footage of aircraft passing over my house, even high up (not low passing aircraft) I guarantee they wont look like what i filmed here.

In conclusion the closest match I have so far is that what Yeesby posted up, I think at the moment I'd bank my money on it being the ISS. I need to recheck times/dates of the ISS and when it passed over the Manchester Area in April. I still cant make any sense of the table posted up early on, can anyone assist me in explaining it?

Thanks to MMN, Yeesby and Chrlz for helping on this. Can anyone now assist me with the ISS info I need. I need to know what times/dates the ISS passed over Manchester during my sightings. If it matches the same time then I believe it is that what I filmed.

In friendship

Oh P.S Chrlz I starred your guide thread and commented. It's a great topic!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Hi, supe!

It's all good - and seriously I am most impressed with your approach, even if I don't entirely go along with your reading material..

The fact that you *are* prepared to listen and research sets you apart - please keep it up and stick to it. And if you keep picking up tips, you will be amazed at how your captured images and videos will improve (so will we, hopefully!). I'm looking forward to what you present, especially once you escape the shackles of AF, and get solidly tripod mounted..

While on that topic, do you have a good tripod yet? I've got some opinions - bet that's a surprise..
- to offer there as well, if you are interested and it's not too late..

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
its never too late mate. I already have a good tripod. If you read back on my skywatch website I actually stayed out the following night (friday i think) and stayed awake until 4.45am to see if this object came back.

I had the video camera mounted and everything, laptop set, all ready to take footage incase it appeared. I have a collaboration of facts to string to this incident.

1. The ufo appeared twice inside 2 days both passing the house at the same time.
2. It was the same object on both occassions.

Now for it to appear on Wednesday Night/ Thursday Morning and then the following day at around the same time but not on Friday I found odd.

The ISS still fits the description. Although following it with the videocamera, I wouldnt of expected the ISS to make those kinds of manoeuvres you see later on in the video. Maybe I was disorientated and didnt realise it, I must admit that with fighting auto focus and being in pitch black darkness for some nearly 2 hours it does effect you after the 1st hour. My brother can only look through the video camera for 20 minutes sometimes less before his eyesight feels shot.

Like I said in my other posts. I'm always open to improvements and suggestions. I just wish that alot more civilians would open up and do what I'm doing, it would greatly improve the quality of sightings we get.

Also if someone reading this can assist me with my ISS questions please do respond, I need help in figuring this out, because If its not the ISS and the times/dates dont match, then i'm back to square one in not knowing what it was. The repeated 2 days is a concern, why only the 2days?

I will soon have my financial restrictions lifted (hopefully) in the next month or two, so i might be able to get the video camera i wanted in august. *fingers crossed*

Thank you to all those who have assisted and helped so far and offered their own thoughts and opinions on what they think it is.

In friendship

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Ok regarding the ISS Schedule for April.
www.heavens-above.com...

I got my brother upstairs to help me with this table. As far as I can make out and assuming I am understanding the table correctly, the ISS was viewable on the 22nd of April but.. the times noted on the schedule dont match.
The times listed on that schedule dont match up to the time of my sighting. The video posted by Yeesby looks very similar to what I saw, and even shows you the speed at which it moves. However I am still not 100% convinced.

Infact, looking at that schedule for april, it appears none of those times even match up to my sighting time and date. My sightings appeared at quarter to four in the morning and none of those times are listed on the schedule.

Thoughts?

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Superiorraw]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superiorraw
its never too late mate. I already have a good tripod.

True, and glad to hear it. I *have* been known to carry my gear around firmly attached to the tripod for the entire session (non-ufo hunting, sorry). If you are careful, this might be an option.

If you read back on my skywatch website I actually stayed out the following night (friday i think) and stayed awake until 4.45am to see if this object came back.

Ok, I confess I didn't see the link to your site (or did you just mean the youtube channel? I'll look again..

1. The ufo appeared twice inside 2 days both passing the house at the same time.
2. It was the same object on both occassions.

I'm definitely leaning to the courier jet aircraft, or perhaps a passing long-haul international flight.

Now for it to appear on Wednesday Night/ Thursday Morning and then the following day at around the same time but not on Friday I found odd.

Not if they only run the courier flight on demand, or maybe that's just the sschedule. It is an odd one for passenger flights though. But you also ned ot consider whether the flight always travels the same route. Prevailing winds, jet stream etc can affect it quite a bit, and it only take a few tens of kilometers deviation to become far less visible..

Maybe I was disorientated and didnt realise it, I must admit that with fighting auto focus and being in pitch black darkness for some nearly 2 hours it does effect you after the 1st hour.

Indeed it does. Are you absolutely certain that you saw genuine variations, not just camera movements, or even eye/head movements? To verify you need to really concentrate on what you are doing, lean your head on something, and use things like trees, poles, etc as a reference.

Otherwise, be very careful of trusting your brain's interpretation.

Like I said in my other posts. I'm always open to improvements and suggestions.

Like I said, that's what sets you apart - well done.

I just wish that alot more civilians would open up and do what I'm doing, it would greatly improve the quality of sightings we get.

Me too, but I'm afraid the more I look and learn, the more I can identify everything I see. Dang!

If its not the ISS and the times/dates dont match, then i'm back to square one in not knowing what it was.

You can swear by Heaven's Above:
www.heavens-above.com...
so if you've done your data entry right and it wasn't in exactly the location at the time that HA said it would be, then it WASN'T the ISS. The ISS only appears for short periods, it moves steadily, and looks exactly like a big bright satellite. Because that is what it is..

Test out HA, by getting it to give you some other predictions. It's easy to screw up time-zones and other things, so you really need to spend a bit of time sorting it out and making sure it is a valid source of information for your site. Try to catch an Iridium flare - they are WAY cool (but rare, sadly..)

Keep it up..

[edit on 29-5-2010 by CHRLZ]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Thanks Chrlz

I was referring actually to my site:
projectskywatch.yolasite.com...

I am going to get my videocamera charged and I plan to record some passing aircraft with it at night time, both low passing and ones higher up so that i have a direct comparison to this video.
I'll be honest with you, as I only think its fair, the bright light that I have captured didnt move like a conventional aircraft. I had witnessed it the night before on the wednesday, and at the back of the house it was stationary in the sky before setting off, a courier jet wouldnt do this?

Usually a jet will pass over, i've seen these before, i'm quite open to opinions and suggestions, so if it is a courier jet then its one i've never ever seen before. Looking at this object through binoculars is just an intense light (orb) i think with more powerful tools (as such my videocamera) i'd get a better view of what it is.

its a shame the weather is so poor hear in Manchester, even tonight its now 2:30 am but way too cloudy, cant see anything but cloud

top topics

<<   2 >>

join