It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

95% of People not from Australia or New Zealand, suck at Geography

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

well said 100% with you on this, oz has never shifted, been flying from oz to newzeland for 30yrs-still in the same place.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
LOL love your thread title.

Being Australian, with my dad from NZ, I found that whole thread very amusing.

I think your geography thread is a bad idea, that will take the amusement out of any future threads which claim that Papua New Guinea was in fact south of Australia (but we know their map was upside-down).

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
most of us who "remember" NZ being in a different spot have already racked it up to being bad maps. us "yanks" are not morons, the morons are the people who rag on us for actually believing what we were taught in school. the morons are the ones who don't read the other posts before posting or creating threads like these.

in the dimension we came from, it was in a different location - which would change the climate and everything about NZ. we cannot produce maps or "evidence" of how we remember it because THOSE THINGS ARE IN A DIFFERENT DIMENSION!!!!!!!

your argument is invalid.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by I.C. Weiner
most of us who "remember" NZ being in a different spot have already racked it up to being bad maps...

Originally posted by I.C. Weiner
in the dimension we came from, it was in a different location

How can both of those things be true

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I know the capital: butt**** NSW, right?

C'mon, Canadians are good at gography, jus not anglish.

Jason

Is this a joke?

Close but well....no

Canberra is capital city of Australia. Canberra is in the territory of called the ATC (Australian Capital Territory).

And to I.C. Weiner poster lol just face it your wrong...suck it up and dont let your tears make your cornflakes soggy.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Rollo]

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Rollo]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover

95%

Ninety-five percent

95:100

95/100

19/20

Yea.. Thought it would be higher actually..

I didn't even realize Australia was a real place.. I thought it was something like Never Never Land with magical hopping bears and Crocodile Dundee wannabes everywhere..

I feel so silly now.. I can't believe I fall into that 95% of the world that think Australia and New Zealand move to different locations at will..

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Someone thought NZ was west of Australia?????

Really?????

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Not that big a deal I don't think..

Off the top of your head..

Where is Slovenia in relation to Slovakia?
Where is Zambia in relation to Niger?
Where is Bolivia in relation to Panama?

Some people would never look at where NZ and Australia are on a map.. Stupid people obviously but it happens pretty often Id assume lol

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
Where is Slovenia in relation to Slovakia?
Where is Zambia in relation to Niger?
Where is Bolivia in relation to Panama?

All South and slightly to the East with other countries in between, except Slovenia that is South-West of Slovakia. Do I win a prize ?

Seriously, though, the difference is that four of those countries are landlocked and immersed within a continent, while the other two are pretty small and not instantly noticeable either.

Australia sticks out on the world map, and while some may miss New Zealand, it would surely stick out more if it were off the West coast of Australia ?

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Conspiracy Chicks fan !]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I agree with you Oz. I'm American and I always knew that Australia and New Zealand were in there proper places. New Zealand has NEVER been west of Australia.

I don't know what some of the ATS members are getting high off of before they come on here, but whatever it is they need to lay off of it because they are making the rest of us who know geography look dumb.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
Someone thought NZ was west of Australia?????

Really?????

Shocking: New Zealand and Australia are out of their place on the map

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Many Americans are just dumbfounded when it comes to geography. I guess this is just the continuing decline of the educational system. I'll consider myself lucky growing up in the late 70s and early 80s with a father who was a ham radio operator. Luckily he got me involved and I would pull out QSL cards (these were index type cards that confirmed a contact) and find where they were on his big world wall map. It was a great way to teach myself geography and learn of many small and other obscure countries that I would never otherwise known.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

How many of you not from Australia, can accurately say you are aces at geography?

I can, but then I'm from New Zealand.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyeinoz

well said 100% with you on this, oz has never shifted, been flying from oz to newzeland for 30yrs-still in the same place.

Well, Oz HAS shifted, but that was well before Humans were around.

Here's the real World Map. New Zealand is at the top of the World.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by aorAki]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I'm a rare breed in America. I'm actually rather intelligent and could more or less put every country in their exact locations outside of the obscure, small ones or some of the more obscure -stans out there. And even then, I could place them pretty damn close to where they are.

I've even been to Australia before (government sucks but the people are wonderful and environment is beautiful). And I can rest assure that it's where it has been for the past I don't know, 100,000 years.

I find this time line shift thing rather stupid frankly, and I'm one of the most skeptical, open minded individuals out there. To me, the whole concept about this is just people trying to rationalize their own stupidity. Which is really, really sad, and really, really dangerous that they need to do that. Seriously, if they think THIS because they're stupid, imagine what other rationalizations they've made to try to justify their stupidity.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Damn, that's screwy!
That's actually how remember the Australasian continental area... doodah. As I said in that other thread though, I failed geography. It also appears I was reading my books upside down, lol.

As a direct result of this whole timeshift business, I now blame every little mistake I make on it. I believe a lot of unconventional stuff, but this isn't on my list of "likelies".

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
And just to make everything clear people, the capital of NZ is Bondi Beach..................

Waits for the obligatory "ZOMG WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???" Comment.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Every time i saw that "other" thread i wanted to beat it with a stick. It made me a little angry. I had NO idea why that thread was so long and it kept popping up in the recent posts list. I still have nightmares about it.

I am american and i LOVE Australia and New Zealand. But sadly most americans are morons. I am a huge Flight of the Conchords fan and Eagle vs Shark is one of my favorite movies. I would love to visit you guys some day!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

There's one other reason and its the one that actually got me stumped for a bit with this whole thing and its that every geography book I EVER saw at school (public) showed a zoomed in map of NZ in a rectangle box to the LEFT of Australia,

when I tried to visualize in my mind where I remembered NZ being on the map, I saw it as being to the west of Australia because of the little zoom in box on the old maps.

that's what I put it down too anyway. also a distinct lack of flight travel on my part probably didn't help.

-B.M

[edit on 9/5/10 by B.Morrison]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

It's important to remember that maps are not objective pieces of information.

People also need to realize that maps are PROJECTIONS of a 3d space onto a 2d space, which CANNOT be done with absolute accuracy, you need a 3d object to do this, which is why we have GLOBES. There is also the issue of orientation. Maybe a bunch of people were shown a map of OZ and NZ that had south at the top and north at the bottom?

I dont know how this speculation that NZ used to be on the other side of Australia, but it seems obvious to me that this did not happen.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join