It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

95% of People not from Australia or New Zealand, suck at Geography

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+56 more 
posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Ok, people, I seriously dont understand how so many people believe that Australia and New Zealand are in different places to what they used to be. For me, there are several reasons, some personal, why this "theory" is incorrect

Reason One
I flew to New Zealand from Brisbane Airport in 2004. Judging by the fact that we flew out over the ocean, it can be determined that we were flying east. Now, if people know anything about the geography of Australia, if New Zealand were to the west of us, I would have been flying over land.

Reason Two
I would like to see the reaction of our world war 2 veterans (and the Americans that fought to our north), when you guys tried to tell them this. All maps around that time clearly show Australia to the west of New Zealand. Check out battle of the Coral Sea (which has faded into obscurity for most yanks and brits)

www.delsjourney.com...

Reason Three
Im not sure how many of you are familiar with continental drift and/or Pangae, but if you are, you will notice that New Zealand fits snuggly into the east coast of Australia, rather than the west. If New Zealand were to the North East of us, at any point, it wouldve fit nicely in with Indonesia, Sri Lanka and India, again not possible.

For you people unfamiliar with the above concepts

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Reason Four
How many of you not from Australia, can accurately say you are aces at geography? It seems that many americans (sorry to pick on yanks, but the majority of you are, although there are lots of other nationalities mixed in too) couldnt even point out Baghdad on a map, or name the capital of Australia, let alone, pin point subtle differences in the distance between us and Papua New Guinea, or the location of New Zealand.

Reason Five
Early images of the Earth from space, clearly show New Zealand in its rightful place, to the east of us. US astronaut John Glenn, clearly proved this on two missions, one in 1962 and another in 1968. If anyone can show me different images then by all means disprove this.

Reason Six
The climate of New Zealand does not reflect the type of climate found to the North East of Australia....its not even close. If it were there, the mountains would not be covered in snow, there would be no glaciers, their forests would be tropical (including their hundred year old trees), rather than temperate, the soil compositon would not be the same....and worst of all, the Kiwi Bird, Moa, Kakapo and the many seals that migrate to the islands would simply not exist!!

(Obviously seals swim to NZ,from colder water, but they wouldnt be swimming an extra 4000km to the tropics to get there, unless seals are part of the conspiracy)

Anyone that thinks that New Zealand and Australia have ever been in different places, are either not from this region, and have never visisted our great countries and, also need to seriously brush up on basic geography, and their knowledge of continentla drift and plate tectonics.

The problem is none of you are willing to do this, you just assume you know otherwise. And thanks to the power of suggestiveness and maybe even a little paranoia or gullibility, many foreigners have been sucked into believing this farce.

I urge all New Zealanders and Australians to get behind me on this, we know where we are, and where we have always been!!!! Its about time the rest of the world learnt a little something about geography of the Australasia and South east Asia....

Who's with me?

And if you're against, show me evidence which outweigghs my points, because as of yet, its seems to be all a case of assumption and self righteousness.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I'm with you on this. Nice post.

Also your thread title made me LOL

S&F

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Im from Scotland, but moved to New Zealand, does that mean i'm in the clear??

Seriously though, I get what you're saying. Some people come on here spouting complete rubbish with no "basic" understanding of Size, Direction or Location in regards to very large land masses.

I think a series of "geography lesson" threads may be a good idea!!

g

[edit on 9-5-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
To think NZ was West of Oz is just total garbage. I cant even belive that people think this is or was true. I'm slightly concerned for those individuals that do because there is something strange going on either physically with the earth or mentally with those who are adament it has/is happening/happened.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
-gone-

[edit on 9/5/10 by Edews]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
lol, excellent.

More proof I should be living down under.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
You're preaching to the choir, here, weatherman. I have tried to understand these "time-shifters" explanations to no avail.

It's kind of embarrassing for me as a human. Yet the shifters are so definate that they are correct, I'm more embarrassed for them.

In my mind, everything is where it always has been. Period. Aside from the relatively very small movement of the plates, of course.

BTW I'm American.

[edit on 9/5/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I think the reason so many people claim OZ and NZ are out of place is because they really do suck at geography. But at the same time, they are sure of their own minds; so they MUST be right. So they assumed there was some sort of "dimensional shift" causing them (only the ones who think said landmasses are out of place) to merge (or something) into an alternate reality. (being the one where Oz and NZ are in the places they have always been.)

So really; these people are just indulging in delusional fantasies.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed

I think a series of "geography lesson" threads may be a good idea!!

I actually think that this might be a good idea. I have to admit that I am ignorant of where some countries are on the map and would welcome a thread, or even a link to teach me basic geography and where some countries are in relation to each other.

As far as the Op goes, I believe that some people have seen a map many years back that had New Zealand in a separate "box", and assumed that was where it was situated. Now since they have believed that throughout their lives, they have made it a fact in their minds.

But then again, that's just my opinion...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The geography thread is a great idea....that is if people are interested. There seems too many cases where people want to believe in some things so bad, that thye will believe anything

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I've seen a thread here that said Australia and New Zealand were out of place on the map and I could not believe how much attention that it got and still does evidently. Wow people can be so gullible. What I have found is that Cuba and Aruba have switched places and nobody has seemed to notice.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I don't care, New Zealand gets the first sunlight ^^ we are ahead of the world..

That is enough Geography for me..

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

I don't care, New Zealand gets the first sunlight ^^ we are ahead of the world..

That is enough Geography for me..

Well actually Samoa is the first nation to get sunlight, New Zealand does beat us Australians though....but thanks to our drought, we recieve more.....so....oh wait....thats a bad thing

[edit on 9/5/2010 by OzWeatherman]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
b]Reason Four
How many of you not from Australia, can accurately say you are aces at geography? It seems that many americans (sorry to pick on yanks, but the majority of you are, although there are lots of other nationalities mixed in too) couldnt even point out Baghdad on a map, or name the capital of Australia, let alone, pin point subtle differences in the distance between us and Papua New Guinea, or the location of New Zealand

I know the capital: butt**** NSW, right?

C'mon, Canadians are good at gography, jus not anglish.

Jason

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I am not saying we are right and you guys are wrong. I don't even buy into the time shifting theory, but some how we all got it in our head that it was in a different location. I always got A's and B's in geography so maybe it was the textbooks we all had in school that got it wrong.
Maybe we should focus on why so many of us seem to remember it in a different location.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
So!

You do not believe in the theory of Pangaea?

Where the continents were all one at a point in time and then they migrated to their current locations?

Well, these people you are attempting to discredit may have tapped into ancestral knowledge, where the locations could have been reversed in the past!

Just attempting some out of the box extrapolation!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Here's a fun wee game for anyone wanting to get better at locating the worlds major cities.

www.geosense.net...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I like to keep an open-mind on all subjects, but the clincher for me is the fact that all the people claiming that Australia and New Zealand are out of place do not share the same memory of the countries' locations.
There are about five different places that people remembered New Zealand to be in - including to the West of Australia - therefore, there must have been five different timelines that these different people came from.

If it's so common for people to go from one timeline to another, why is the world ostensibly the same in each one, save for the location of Australia and New Zealand ?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Got to agree with the OP!
That thread is the outright dumbest thing in a while on ATS, and that is saying something.
Too much TV Maybe?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

95%

Ninety-five percent

95:100

95/100

19/20

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join