It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And now, a WTF moment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
WAT

Scientists are hoping to gain new insights into the mysteries of ageing by sequencing the genome of a 17-year-old girl who has the body and behaviour of a tiny toddler.

Brooke Greenberg is old enough to drive a car and next year will be old enough to vote — but at 16lb in weight and just 30in tall, she is still the size of a one-year-old.

Until recently she had been regarded as a medical oddity but a preliminary study of her DNA has suggested her failure to grow could be linked to defects in the genes that make the rest of humanity grow old.

If confirmed, the research could give scientists a fresh understanding of ageing and even suggest new therapies for diseases linked to old age.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by SpectreDC]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Okay, Sad as it is............she is the "said" size of a 1 year old and she can drive??? Got to go to bed was up late for the ATS live radio.....will re-coup my brain later..............

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

I think it meant she is old enough to drive , being 17. Not that she can or does. It would be physically impossible for her to actually drive a car.
From the article it sounds as though her mentality is that of a one year old as well.

[edit on 9/5/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

Wow, that is unreal. Ted William's head is one step closer to becoming alive again!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by vesta

Okay, Sad as it is............she is the "said" size of a 1 year old and she can drive??? Got to go to bed was up late for the ATS live radio.....will re-coup my brain later..............

If you look, the article states she looks and acts like a toddler.
It just means that she is old enough physically, though mentally she hasn't advanced much.

I remember there being something on this some time ago, it featured a fellow who was in his thirties, but except for a few graying hairs looked to be 10 or 11.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I think the correct term is premordial dwarf..?

Although, the link says she still has the mentality of a baby..

Very unusual.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well hell, if next year she is old enough to vote, sign her up for one of the two parties from hell.

Sounds like she has the same mentality.

Yes, it sounds like the aging gene has been shut off. I am sure the Rockefellers and other megalomaniacs are certainly funding the research.

The brain's cells are the only ones that cannot replicate themselves. Once they die, they are gone. If they can figure a way to either allow replication of the cells or the aging process in the brain, this could lead to furthering the life expectancy.

For all of the advances in medicine, I think if someone did a research into life expectancy, they would find that over the centuries life expectancy has not really risen. They would find that things like injury, food, vermin and other non medical field things have increased the life expectancy. Yes things like chicken pox and such had some decline in the statistics but I believe the medical fields ultimate contribution would be in the single digits, probably very low. Where as food and cleanliness being the largest rise.

Hell, nowadays with rampant drug resistant infections and the deaths due to negligence in hospitals, one may be kind of wary of stopping into a death factory, (edit to add) unless of course one absolutely had to.

[edit on 5/9/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This was in the news before about two months ago.

The girl in that article was indeed 17 but she had the mind and body of a toddler.

She didn't age both physically and mentally. If I remember correct they are talking about the same girl.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Amazing story. hopefully she will not become a lab rat.

although, the possibilities are exciting as far as stopping ageing goes...

g

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
No offense my friend but I added this new information already to the original thread about this miracle baby:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

oh and another thing, you should use the title from the story you link to when naming your thread. I believe that is in ATS's T&C

...just sayin...

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This girls has been featured on television before. I think it was Discovery Health. I found it interesting, because she has siblings that have aged at a normal rate.

While she seems amazing, I couldn't help but feel very sad for her, as her favorite thing to do (on the show) was to be left in a baby swing, for hours on end.

She does seem to be surrounded by a very loving and supportive family. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have a perpetual baby.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have a perpetual baby.

Imagine if you could infect a puppy with this thing?? perpetual puppies! man, the marketing possibilities!!!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
double post...i hate it when that happens!

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Actually, when I was watching the program about this girl, my thoughts were, that whatever she has, might be of help to children who have progeria, the rapid aging disease. It seems like she's the complete opposite.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

i wonder what would happen if you just injected yourself with some of her blood?
"there can only be one!!!"

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The idea of this gene being worked on, and then later marketed, scares the hell out of me!

Imagin if someone like Bin Laden, or Hitler, came across something like this. They would be able to stay young for decades (possibly centuries) and bend the world to their will without ever aging past their youngest troops. That would horrible, because if you think about it, the main reason people do things is because they are afraid of how they will be seen after they are dead and gone.

What would happen if people could plan for 20 years ahead, and still look like they were 17 by the time their plans come to fruition. I know, my thoughts probably sound like a garbled mess, but it's just a bunch of scary thoughts.

I don't disagree that there would be a few good uses for this, but do we want this being marketed to the rich. The ones already in power. This, my friends, is exactly what the NWO/PTB have been hoping for. A way to fully control the lives of the world for many many more years than what they thought would be possible.

Like I said... scary....

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Seitler

Imagin if someone like Bin Laden, or Hitler, came across something like this. They would be able to stay young for decades (possibly centuries) and bend the world to their will without ever aging past their youngest troops. That would horrible, because if you think about it, the main reason people do things is because they are afraid of how they will be seen after they are dead and gone.

People will change only nature will keep on providing new people who need to make the same mistakes the old already learned from.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
The brain's cells are the only ones that cannot replicate themselves. Once they die, they are gone. If they can figure a way to either allow replication of the cells or the aging process in the brain, this could lead to furthering the life expectancy.

That's not exactly accurate. The brain can grow new cells even as an adult.

As far as increasing life expectancy, slowing the metabolism is one of the only proven methods. Exercise for example increases the average lifespan by preventing the onset of disease but it does nothing to increase the maximum lifespan past a certain point. The ends of the chromosome shorten with each cell division, so the same effect is attributed to everyone.

As far as her "not aging", that's not accurate either. It's better to say she isn't developing like a normal person, but if the normal aging process continues as I'm sure it does, then she'll die at an average age, or even sooner is my estimation. Free radicals are still there and that sort of thing.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Funny...and I just saw a preview tonight for this movie...

Caution - Rated R Preview

Splice - June 2010

[edit on 5/9/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

Can you imagine if they crack the code, and living to be 500 is the norm? Oh how Doctors would be the new elite lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join