It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Eruptions on the SUN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
half a dozen flares go off the sun..reported to be minor c class flares...

Departing sunspot 1069 is crackling with solar flares, erupting more than half a dozen times on May 8th alone. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) video-recorded each of the explosions with a clarity ten times better than HDTV

On the "Richter scale" of solar flares, the eruption you just witnessed registered C2.4. In years past, solar physicists regarded C-flares as minor events, but SDO is revealing them to be quite spectacular. Here are three more examples from May 8th: C1.8-flare, C9-flare, B7-flare.

This amazing footage comes from an observatory that has been in space for only a few months and is still being commissioned. Mission scientists are so busy calibrating sensors, fine-tuning software and generally getting acquainted with their spacecraft, they barely have time to interpret the torrent of data SDO is sending them. This will change in the weeks ahead as the commissioning phase winds down and the discovery phase revs up. Then the real excitement begins. Stay tuned!

here' the video

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Noobastronomer]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Very cool. Love stuff about the sun. Thankss for sharing.

Our home star is pretty busy right now it seems. Spring cleanup perhaps.

Thanks for sharing again

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamitrios

Our home star is pretty busy right now it seems. Spring cleanup perhaps.

Spring cleanup ... I believe it to be more like Human Clean Up! Our time has come to face our selves, and our sun is assisting in this matter.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Dynamitrios

Yeah, clean up indeed.... Amazing how much is going on right now.. I'm anxious to see how it progresses in the next year or two!

By the way, your avatar is the single most hilarious thing i've ever seen in my life....

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

Meh, its a natural thing that happens, if we perish in the process who cares, which i dont think we will. The sun gives away its life so we can live, everything it does benefits us. Less doom and gloom please ^^

A joke:
Two planets meet. One says: "Dude i have that weird scratching on my back" The other replies: "Hmmm, you propably have humans, but dont worry, theyre just temporary.

And @ Ouroboros 2012. Thank you. i still laugh myself when i watch it^^

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Dynamitrios]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Seems I am the one that always reminds everyone that the Sun is pretty much.. not doing much. The Sun is currently blank of SunSpots.

Here is the latest Summary from today:

Updated 2010 May 08 2201 UTC
Joint USAF/NOAA Report of Solar and Geophysical Activity

SDF Number 128 Issued at 2200Z on 08 May 2010

Analysis of Solar Active Regions and Activity from 07/2100Z to 08/2100Z: Solar activity remained at low levels. Region 1069 (N41W78) produced isolated C-class flares as it approached the west limb. The largest of these was a C9/1f at 08/0459Z associated with radio bursts at 245 MHz and 410 MHz. New Region 1071 (S20W42), a small A-type spot, was numbered. No Earth-directed CMEs were observed during the period.

Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to be low on day 1 (09 May) with a chance for isolated C-class flares from Region 1069. Activity is expected to decrease to very low levels during days 2 - 3 (10 - 11 May) due to the departure of Region 1069 early on 10 May.

Geophysical Activity Summary 07/2100Z to 08/2100Z: Geomagnetic field activity was at mostly quiet levels. ACE solar wind measurements indicated Earth remained within a gradually subsiding coronal hole high-speed stream. Solar wind velocities decreased from 518 to 437 km/sec during the period. The greater than 2 MeV electron flux at geosynchronous orbit reached high levels during the period.

Geophysical Activity Forecast: Geomagnetic field activity is expected to be at quiet to unsettled levels during days 1 - 2 (09 - 10 May) with a slight chance for active levels. Field activity is expected to increase to unsettled levels on day 3 (11 May) with a chance for active levels due a recurrent co-rotating interaction region/coronal-hole high-speed stream.

So everyone calm down, because if you are waiting for the Sun to destroy life on earth... best be prepared to wait a very long time.

new topics

top topics

join