It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Information is a distraction and diversion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

US President Barack Obama lamented Sunday that in the iPad and Xbox era, information had become a diversion that was imposing new strains on democracy, in his latest critique of modern media.

Obama, who often chides journalists and cable news outlets for obsessing with political horse race coverage rather than serious issues, told a class of graduating university students that education was the key to progress.

"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter," Obama said at Hampton University, Virginia.

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

He bemoaned the fact that "some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction," in the clamor of certain blogs and talk radio outlets.

rawstory.com...

We certainly can not be exposed to any new "radical thoughts or information." It sounds to me like he is making reference to among other ideas, places like ATS where all sorts of new ideas and thoughts are making their way out to the public.

Maybe his speech should have been titled enhance ignorance. Even though it was supposed to be about education. I guess as long as it's their ideas it's OK to know them....

[edit on 9-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Freedom of speech causes too many diversions and distractions from all of the hard labor you people do, causing Chairman Obama's tax dollars to slow! Work harder for the People's Communist Republic of America, and please be patient as we impose our own "Great Firewall".

There is MUCH work to do comrades!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Very well said post above...I even laughed abit too!

Not surprising is it? Censor the net to lessen the distraction of truth...

OBAMA, PLEASE SEEK MENTAL HELP?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I just think they do not like how we know that the president is not the highest office in the world, lol.

But he is right there is alot of untruths out there too.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I find it quite disturbing that the leader of the free world is unable to work an ipod.
Or that he would claim to be unable to work one in order to make an argument.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by MrVertigo]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

Me too. I want to try to find an image of him if possible showing him using one....
I am positive he knows how. He is just making a claim he doesn't.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I knew it. I should have looked earlier.
Here is a list of what he ADMITS is on his iPod during his campaign.

WASHINGTON — Bob Dylan. Yo-Yo Ma. Sheryl Crow. Jay-Z. These aren't musical acts in a summer concert series: They're artists featured on Barack Obama's iPod. ''I have pretty eclectic tastes,'' the Democratic presidential contender said in an interview to be published in Friday's issue of Rolling Stone.

www.suntimes.com...

He even gave an iPod to the Queen. The Queen! If he says he can't use one, then why and how is he giving one to the Queen?
blogs.telegraph.co.uk...
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Just another lie he has been caught in. This is pretty plain he knows how to use one, even though he just told college graduates he had no clue how to use one.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Here we go again! Wasting time slipping on the banana peels.

Come on now Obama, you had to know that the time of the novice was limited in the power game.

Maybe it's time for you to get out the big tricks in your magic bag.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

I'm not pro-Obama or the government in any matter, but that makes sense. Using knowledge as a medium for idiotic, mind-shutting ideas really harms the brain.. if the brain can't entertain a thought without accepting it. I wouldn't take it out of context. We need information to further our freedom, not to constrict it, or make it of no use. I think that's what he's saying. Got to agree with that; I wouldn't fly off the handle just cause I hate his government and am not a fan of his either.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This is one of those comments that can be misconstrued to no end, and he should have been careful to clarify what he meant by "information". Reading his comment in it's entirety I think we can assume he was referring to the bombardment of electronic media, games, entertainment web sites, music and social media, and more games. I'm staggered at the level of distractedness among the younger generation who can barely set there iPods and texting/cell phones down long enough to glance up at the real world around them. Then we're bombarded by so much "entertainment as news" that one can barely sort the important topics from the fluff. It's sensory overload. Then when it comes to information as provided by the MSM, "never has so much been said about so little" pretty well sums it up.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
While I doubt he is making reference to this site, I agree that some of what he is saying is distraction, to say the least.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter,"

Obama should know about things that are not that high on the truth meter. He's an expert in spreading such things.

The fact is, Obama and his cronies FEAR the electronic media when it isn't towing the line for his "truths", you know like his "truthful" promise that he won't raise taxes on the middle class.

When he was running for office, he sure did like that electronic media! Now that people are spreading the word about his lies and REAL intent, it isn't such a great technology.

What goes around, comes around.

Obama, you used the media when it suited you. It has now turned on you. Payback is a .....

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I don't see anything odd about what Obama said.

It's true that information has become more of an entertainment tool.

Real change takes place all the time but you won't see it on Facebook, Twitter or Myspace.

Real change comes from those who decide to roll their sleeves and make government WORK for them!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Obama Swipes at Media, Says 'Information' Onslaught Pressuring 'Democracy'

www.foxnews.com...

Maybe we should stop with the news. We're putting pressure on our government to actually earn their paychecks. Where is the fun in that?

top topics

join