It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moment of Truth for UFO Abduction Case? Help and opinions please!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
By most UFO histiography the Travis Walton account of being abducted by aliens in Arizona (1975) is regarded as a key case, which has the added evidence of Walton's fellow loggers. Walton was apparently abducted for 5 days, and his written accounts were fictionalized in the movie "Fire in the Sky". en.wikipedia.org...

I'm a fan of the "Moment of Truth" game show in the US, and the way it makes people squirm with honesty for cash, usually before their partners and family.
Therefore I was delighted when Travis Walton came on the show, putting his reputation on the line for cash.

The central key of the game show is a lie-detector test that candidates take before the show. They are then again asked the same questions on the show, before their family, lovers, and a live audience. Whether they are lying or not is then determined by their previous test results.

I've tried my best to find this episode of "The Moment of Truth" on U-tube and elsewhere on the web, but without success. This may be because the show was quite recent. Maybe somebody else knows more details?

The results were fascinating. Walton answered most questions truthfully (or as the show commentary puts it: "That is correct"). But then, oh dear...

Walton seemed convincing for most of the show. He was even asked detailed questions on the encounter, but then came the final question: "Were you abducted by a UFO in (date, 1975)?"
Walton answered: "Yes".
And then the big let down: "That answer is incorrent".

What an anti-climax!

I wonder if anyone else could comment on this episode, or just the show in general, or the Walton case?

A sceptical view and summary of Walton case (with some not so sceptic commentary): skeptoid.com...
For more on the game show: The Moment of truth: www.buzzle.com...

[edit on 9-5-2010 by halfoldman]

[edit on 9-5-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Travis has taken plenty of polygraph results, and suppressed (tried to anyway) several as well. If you cherry pick through the results you can make you mind up in either direction, depending on what your pre-disposition to believe it.

I have to say I am in the middle on that case, maybe leaning towards the hoax side. Too many things for me didn't add up, and if it truly happened the way they say it did I would be dismayed by these inconsistencies because in my mind they would really be there.

Entertaining case at least...

Here's a wiki section with further links about a few poly episodes Wiki Walton Poly

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

How many out there noticed the glaring differences between Walton's verbal description and the book about what happend, and the movie. The book was very tame for the most part. The movie was grusome, complete with human body parts, and very nasty aliens. Poetic license? For me it was quite discouraging, leaving me believing none of it.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

According to the links the movie was embellished, because it was felt that Walton's book was too tame. That probably doesn't put off believers who would argue that Hollywood spices up all kinds of "true stories".

In general, what was really strange about the show was the questions he all answered truthfully before the big failure.
He was asked:
Q: Were you drinking on the day of the abduction?
A: Walton claimed he would have loved to say it was all too much booze, but nope, he didn't have a drop.
That answer was correct.
Q: Do you wish that one of your six workmates were taken instead of you?
A: Yes, anyone but me.
That answer was correct.
Q: Michael Shermer from Skeptic Magazine came on the show to ask if he had any evidence for his claims, since extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
A: Walton claimed that his book provided tons of evidence of other witnesses and radiation readings.
That answer was correct.
It was quite strange that all the questions related to the abduction were answered correctly, so it was quite a jaw-dropper when the central question of "Were you abducted by a UFO" was answered incorrectly.
Well, he won something like $ 20 000 for his truthful answers up to that point (contestants who complete the show can win $ 500 000). His pre-show test had revealed a definate deception in his reply to that question, and Walton left with a statement questioning the accuracy of polygraph tests.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The movie version of ANY story will always be diffrent from the truth. Why? Because the truth is never as exciting as what the human imagination can create.

The Walton story to me at least is somewhat true. You must remember back when this story came out alien life was not as accepted as it is now. All these men were ridiculed and laughed at. I would go as far as to say it even ruined many of there lives(aside from Walton who made money from it).

That being said the ONLY reason I believe him and not these other wacked out people on ATS who claim they are abducted is the fact Waldons case was a random act.

While others tend to express there own importance in there storys like they are the chosen ones.A human imagination knows no limits and provides me many chuckles.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

You make a very good point about the polygraph. In 1975 they for the most part were not computer controled, beyond simple electronics. They haden't changed in decades. They just looked at basic physiological factors. Their real real effect is they intimidated people. They were used mainly for that reason. Intimidation is a classic tool of interagation. Unfortunetly early polygraphs depended on the experience and skill of the opperator. A guy with 25 or so years experience was said to be very accurate. But readings were often very subjective. And though some modern polygraphs actually look at brain activity real time, they diden't then.

When Walton said the machine or the operator were wrong, odds are, he was right.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by KingX

I heard about that event about 1980, I think. I was impressed it was closer to the Betty and Barney Hill event then a meeting of the "space brothers" I don't think any animal thats tranquilized and taken to a bizarre environment, is going to find "insight and joy" either.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Of course, my mind goes straight to TPTB wouldn't let that happen! Similiar to watching a history chan. Show there's never a proof, just a story..perhaps that's all his was too. Yet if he honestly believed it...? Sigh.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Considering that the polygraph is not admissable as evidence in a lot of law courts, it is quite surprising how people are willing to come on TV shows and stake their reputations on such results in a very public sphere.
The Steve Wilkos show, for example, labels people as child-molesters on the evidence of polygraph results (OK, a different format to The Moment of Truth, and there may be other events and reactions that suggest guilt or innocence, but it's really not 100% reliable.)

I'm not sure why guilty molesters go on the Steve Wilkos show to be exposed, but in The Moment of Truth cash seems to be the main carrot.
The show is based on a Columbian show that was cancelled after a woman admitted to hiring a hitman to kill her husband (the hitman instead told the husband who divorced her).
I wonder whether some people don't over-estimate themselves and think they can beat the polygraph with certain techniques. I believe with correct training it can be done.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by halfoldman]

[edit on 10-5-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by KingX

Indeed, a lot of 1990s cases stressed self-importance (if one takes a sceptical view of many cases) in that the abducted individual was a life-long, chosen abductee, often beginning from childhood (as memories "recovered" by hypnosis would show). The abductee became a persona, a kind of special breed. I first noticed this with the Whitley Strieber books and film, although I'm not sure he started it.

I must be quite honest and admit that I've seen the movie, but haven't read the Walton book (or located a copy as yet). I'm not sure what the actual experience on the UFO was in the book, and I just saw some vague references in older pages on Walton's case that he was allowed to fly the craft. So the aliens were not as "evil" as in the film (I suppose benign, or "neutral" aliens were more popular in the 1970s-1980s - not sure, but the Spielberg films do suggest this).
Personally I do find it strange that someone would encounter such an imposing craft and act like a gung-ho jackass, leaving the vehicle and posing underneath it for his friends. But hey, I could think of some guys who would probably do that.

The final comment in the Skeptoid link in my OP post (Mrs Z from Arizona) is quite fascinating. She believes Walton's story is a hoax, but that UFO lights are seen in those parts. Perhaps Walton saw some kind of military operation and the abduction story was a forced, conditional disinformation tale to get him and his buddies off the hook after they saw something secret?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Meriam delicado,Travis Walton,One4all,and others were abducted by the same group from the same general areas.

In the beginning he would have passed the last question because he hadnt learned much about others with experiences like his AND HE THOUGHT IT WAS UNIDENTIFIED,Maybe he LEARNED WHAT THE CRAFT REALLY WAS AND WHO OPERATED IT BY READING OTHERS STORIES THAT HE HAD TO BELIEVE BECAUSE OF OTHER COMMONALITIES AND THEREFORE HIS MIND WOULD EXTRAPOLATE THAT HE KNEW WHAT IT WAS SO IT COULD NOT BE AN UNIDENTIFIED ANYTHING--TO HIM--IT WAS IDENTIFIED AS FAR AS HIS PHISIOLOGICAL REACTIONS WERE CONCERNEDand his emotional reaction to that dynamic thought resolution would cause a fail to register.

I have studied his event ,his is mine is theirs,there ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE OUT THERE WITH REAL EXPERIENCES.

And at this point in history only underinformed people even think of denying the existance of ufos and aliens,most now are wanting the TRUTH.

It going to suck WHEN THEY ALL FIND OUT AS MYSELF,MERIAM,AND TRAVIS HAVE BEEN SAYING--these are human races we simply arent familiar with ,they are from other worlds,and they use technology,thats where we got ours from.The greys are a human race all different ones short tall whatever,so are the little wrinkly guys.No one I consider to be real has ever claimed to have encountered anything else,although of course there have to be lifeforms different than us and intelligently using technology.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by one4all]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by one4all

Having seen a UFO myself, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater either way.
The wording of the question for me indeed seems relevant to the polygraph outcome. (Actually, I was hoping more members had seen the show and could discuss other details like body language, expressions and pauses - but sadly, nobody on ATS seems to have seen it as yet.)
If to him the craft was identified, then "UFO" would be a misnomer to his sub-consciouss. Good point.
But are grays the only aliens? What about Nordics and reptilians?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by one4all

However, I cannot help but wonder why Walton went on this show, unless he was desperate for any amount of cash (and he is employed), unless he is genuine and a victim of polygraph failure, or unless he is fraudulant and figured he could beat the device.

My third option: he saw something and was held by the military and is now made to go on shows like this to undermine the abduction experience in a believable exercise of disinformation (my ATS search revealed that he was even on Springer: www.abovetopsecret.com...).

[edit on 11-5-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Halfoldman.....

Unfortunately, if you look into the Walton abduction story some very big problems arise, thereby putting the credibility of the case significantly in question.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   

It was quite strange that all the questions related to the abduction were answered correctly, so it was quite a jaw-dropper when the central question of "Were you abducted by a UFO" was answered incorrectly.

Just to play devil’s advocate for a second; Walton’s subconscious failed the lie detector, not his answer. The question was: “were you abducted by a UFO” – as in unidentified flying object.

Walton knew what it was – an alien craft - but he was answering the vernacular, as in was it unidentified, so his answer was wrong.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
"Lie Detectors" are equivalent to quack science. They are over hyped and unreliable. You might as well ask Ed Dames to "remote view" the Walton abduction.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bluestreak53

Exactly, and that places a huge question mark over shows like The Moment of Truth or Steve Wilkos, where people risk public, and possibly even legal persecution.
If this trend continues I wouldn't be surprised if some innocent person eventually dies from "vigilante justice". But hey, that wouldn't bother Fox or other media houses in the least - they'd sell the story!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Before I joined ATS, I would say it was true. Now, no way.

Unless there is a carcus, round holes into the chest cavity, missing left jaw bone, eyelids gone, missing ears not a single drop of blood and with a bored out anal cavaity , it didn't happen.

And, I will toss in about UFO's. Before ATS-Yep. Now, I am to the point unless there is STILL video of them landing, rolling out a keg & BBQ and setting up a volleyball net-it didn't happen/fake and/or hoax.

my couple of cents.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Travis has done numerous liedetector tests, he has passed some and has failed some. So anyone can pick what they want to use a a source to back up their belief. But the tests can't really proove anything even if he passed all of them or failed all of them. All they can do is test if he believes he was abducted by aliens and his beliefs are not proof of anything.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Travis went on the show knowing he would pass every question,and he did exactly that.

The last Question was "loaded",how do you think the show was created?

Based on "loaded questions".The producers delve into the basic dynamics of human thought and the layering of the tenses of past present and future WITHIN THOSE DYNAMICS,are where the loaded questions are mined from,this is the same way religous doctrine is fed to people and political rhetoric as well.

Travis did not make a mistake,it may have shone a negative light on the UFO media show,but wether he needed money or was coerced into doing the show some other way,HE MADE NO MISTAKE.

These were his experiences and he has a right to share them in any forum he chooses.Period.

If people cant understand what a VICTORY FOR DISCLOSURE even getting on the show was then we are surely lost,he passed all the other questions which in themselves FURTHERED THE DISCLOSURE CAUSE MORE THAN MANY OTHER MEDIA ATTEMPTS.

Simply because a lot of rational people will ask the same question,how did he pass all the first qquestions if it didnt happen?Millions and millions of rational people who would never find their way to ATS.

This is what disclosure is ,finding ANY FORUM through which we can offer humanity the chance to embrace a new perspective or reality if they choose.

Score one for Travis,I hope he made a few pesos,its a material world we live in.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join