It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge Awards Illegal Immigrant $145G Over Civil Rights Violation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Federal Judge Awards Illegal Immigrant $145G Over Civil Rights Violation

www.foxnews.com

An illegal immigrant with a long rap sheet got a $145,000 parting gift from New York City taxpayers before he was deported, after a federal judge ruled his civil rights had been violated when he was held too long on Rikers Island
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
never thought i would bother to post a news but this is too funny, USD154k is a lot of serious $$$ to me, i would do anything to be held up one month plus to get 145 grand, i won't complain and sue about the food, i promise.

i say US is still a great and amirable country to be in, legal or not.. lol

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
145K?

I think many Americans would be more than happy to leave US if they were given 145K.

The immigrant hit the jackpot i guess.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I have 3 points.

1. Perhaps we are missing something. Maybe the illegal alien was severely beaten and/or raped as a result of his detention.

2. Like it or not, we must all keep in mind that the 14th amendment of the Constitution guarantees protection to all people regardless of whether or not they have a green card. The court was not permitted to give the police "a pass" or reduce the verdict just because the plaintiff in the case was an illegal alien.

3. If this guy was indeed a criminal, the government should have kept him in the US a little longer. This would give his victims the chance to sue him and take back that $145,000. By swiftly deporting him, the government allowed this guy to leave with his $145,000.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This is pathetic. He is NOT a US citizen. This country is doomed. We need to fill the fema camps with Illegals that refuse to go about entry legally. Here is an idea. We put manufacturers plants and farms in the FEMA camps. We then use our new Illegal immigrats to work these plants and farms. I am getting pretty close to believing in full on Illegal immigrant genocide. I wonder if we dig a moat and then electrically charge it with about 1gigwats.. Enough for the bodies to be 100% vaporized!!!! If you feed a stray cat...he will keep comming back.. If you shoot his a$$ he will either die or learn that he is not welcome there!!!! All of you do gooders that keep crying about the complexities of the immigration process.... Do something to fix it ..or stfu and watch as americans begin to protect their country!!!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is some real bull#, what the hell is wrong with federal judges. If there weren't so many bull# papers to file to kick an illegal out in the first place when they were apprehended all of this stupid nonsense can be avoided.

ICE and the federal authorities do nothing and the illegal stay in limbo while waiting deportation. Deport them as soon as they get apprehended, why waste Legal time on ILLEGALS.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mobius1974
This is pathetic. He is NOT a US citizen. This country is doomed. We need to fill the fema camps with Illegals that refuse to go about entry legally. Here is an idea. We put manufacturers plants and farms in the FEMA camps. We then use our new Illegal immigrats to work these plants and farms. I am getting pretty close to believing in full on Illegal immigrant genocide. I wonder if we dig a moat and then electrically charge it with about 1gigwats.. Enough for the bodies to be 100% vaporized!!!! If you feed a stray cat...he will keep comming back.. If you shoot his a$$ he will either die or learn that he is not welcome there!!!! All of you do gooders that keep crying about the complexities of the immigration process.... Do something to fix it ..or stfu and watch as americans begin to protect their country!!!

Protect their countr by becoming Nazis?

Shame on you

Treat others as you would like yourself to be treated

fight for strong border security or just don't rant only to completely embarrass yourself.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Wow, think about all the innocent people who stay on Rikers for free (well, they don't get paid for it though it's not free). What about the people who are on the island for up to a year, sometimes longer and then acquitted of their alleged crimes? Their civil rights are violated too, yet they don't get a dime, just a huge legal bill in most cases. This just goes to show that American citizens are the lowest on the totem pole, even less so than foreign citizens who actually commit crimes, according to TPTB.

--airspoon

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint

1. Perhaps we are missing something. Maybe the illegal alien was severely beaten and/or raped as a result of his detention.

Too bad that happens to Americans all the time. Hell sometimes they even get murdered.

And no one ever cares or compensates them in any way.

This judge is trying to piss everyone off basically. It's all too obvious.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This is a travesty, as it is a real shame. He had his civil rights violated, what about the vicitims of his crimes? Are they not entitled to the same equal treatment under the law? There are 2 solutions:
1) The victims of crimes by illegale immigrants should launch class actions law suits against the illegale immigrants home country for repayment of damages against them. Think about it a country being sued for billions of dollars, cause their nationals comitted a crime.
2) The city of New York, sues the Federal government for failing to respond to calls in a timely manor to pick up the illegale immigrant and deport them back to their home country.
In any case this is a very obvious that the Federal government is not doing their job in protecting the citizens of the United States of America and doing their job and there for should be punished. After all if you did not do your job, you would get into trouble.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It almost seems to me like the powers that be are trying to stir a race war almost.

I mean just look at so many in this thread, they hate outcome of corruption and purposeful stupitidy more than the root of it.

They have been trying to divide this country countless times.
Look today at MSNBC and how they portray ring-wingers, they made so many progressive dems utterly have nothing but hatred towards conservatives.

And in the midst of all this illegal immigration turmoil this happens.
What a great way to make mindless sheep stir a race war, divide this country even further, and no I don't mean illegals vs. legals.

Many legals would condemn what a poster only in this thread suggested, the division will be legals vs. legals.

all this immigration talk has absolutely nothing to do with immigration

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

Hold up, you just put my job in a fema camp! I mean there's no doubt that they got a bunk waiting on me, but I'm in no hurry to go! I will not go without a fight!!! But for the rest of your anti-illegal immigrant measures ima have to say

It is true that something has to be done, but that's jus crazy talk, even for here :p

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The judge is not trying to piss anyone off. He was probably just following the law which, like or not, treats everybody equally regardless of whether or not they have a green card.

This case was probably brought up under the 14th amendment, which states "...nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Note the 14th amendment reads "any person," it does not say that only citizens are entitled to due process or only citizens are entitled to equal protection under the law.

If a citizen brought a 14th amendment claim for being unlawfully incarcerate, you might not be up in arms if that person won $145,000. You might think it would be reasonable under the circumstances, especially if the guy had to endure rape, torture, and/or beatings.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
there is no justice in america anymore apparently...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

There are two problems with your proposals.

First, sovereigns, like the federal government and other countries, are generally immune to suit. Your lawsuit would never get off the ground if the defendant, whether it is the federal government or the foreign nation, has a sovereign immunity defense.

Second, there is the issue of enforcing the judgment against the foreign country. Let us say you take a foreign country like El Salvador to a court for the crimes its illegal aliens have committed. You are able to convince the judge to side with you. The judge bangs his gavel and orders El Salvador to pay you a boat load of money.

Tell me how are you going to enforce the judgment? El Salvador does not have to listen to the judge. Your local sheriff cannot seize El Salvador's assets. The US Government would literally have to send the army into El Salvador and seize your money from El Salvador's government.

new topics

top topics

join