It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Running on water ! For real !

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I will reference skateboarding again, when you are attempting a trick for a LONG time, you will notice that you have a very specific run up to what you are doing. This could apply to water running, what I don't think a lot of people understand is how important form is. I really can't get over how they run, it is completely different than anything I have ever seen. And yes, I have seen people run on docks that are under a few inches of water.

Edit: I posted a blog site without reading it, it basically said the same thing, "why does he run the same distance"...I think its because it is as far as his body is capable to do at the time.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by kyle43]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

That's fine. Believe what you want, kyle. But you can stop trying to convince me its real. I think it is fake, sorry.
BTW 25 years ago I skated, so you can stop that angle, too. If a person is good, they don't have to repeat everything exactly the same way Every time. The ability to adapt and still perform well is where the skill is.

[edit on 10/5/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
here's an old Cars video where he stands on the water in a pool..

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

That's funny. I was actually thinking of that video earlier. I remember when it came out and Ric Okasic's lanky frame--something about some of those earlier videos just stick in my head. lol

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsettica In mechanics Archimedes discovered fundamental theorems concerning the centre of gravity of plane figures and solids. His most famous theorem gives the weight of a body immersed in a liquid, called after him, Archimedes' principle - that a body immersed in a fluid is subject to an upward force (buoyancy) equal in magnitude to the weight of fluid it displaces.

Are you taking into consideration the weight of the human body?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Guys, are you serious?? Lets look at the physics of this... These are average sized guys, so lets say a size 10 shoe. The surface are they could push at most is one gallon per shoe. Thrust to weight to stay a float. LEts guess their weight at about 175 pounds. This meane they would need to push the water back at about 40 feet per second, just a rough estimate, considering that water is a liquid and goes down back and to the sides. That would work out to almost 50 miles per hour. I don't care what their form is, they are no where near that speed. And to be honest that would be in an ideal situation, I am not even taking things such as drag or anything into the equation. That would be like us saying that if we wear a shirt that comes from our fingertips to our feet we can flap our wings and fly.

They weigh too much, unless they have magically turned their bones hollow like birds and dropped their weight down to 20 or 25 pounds, this just isn't happening. There is something submerged, that is why the sudden drop off at the end. I wish this was true more than anyone but its not happening. We haven't quite succeeded at breaking the laws of physics yet.

Be cool,
K_OS

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Pfft! A movie in the '80s revealed the government's secret training for how to run on water. In this seldom-discussed YT video, skip forward to about 3:30 where you can see how the instructor for the technique easily runs across a lake during a FTX against a US Army OPFOR.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by K_OS

Lets look at the physics of this... These are average sized guys, so lets say a size 10 shoe. The surface are they could push at most is one gallon per shoe. Thrust to weight to stay a float. LEts guess their weight at about 175 pounds. This meane they would need to push the water back at about 40 feet per second, just a rough estimate, considering that water is a liquid and goes down back and to the sides. That would work out to almost 50 miles per hour. I don't care what their form is, they are no where near that speed. And to be honest that would be in an ideal situation, I am not even taking things such as drag or anything into the equation
Of course all the physics involved tells us this is completely impossible...however, it may have something to do with their shoes and form...think about when you impact water really quickly...it can become as hard as cement if you hit it hard enough...perhaps with the right shoes, combined with the curvature of the run creates conditions that allow the water surface to sustain the weight of a human if your steps are quick and solid enough...you've got to "keep that skimming sensation going" as he states...

To me, that video is extremely well made and very convincing...it's either the best marketing scheme ever to sell those shoes...or legitimate...even if the physics are completely impossible, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that these mean are implementing the power of thought to achieve this...they all seem to think it requires a high degree of belief in yourself...I especially like his statement at the end about expanding your horizons and not letting anyone tell you what you can and can't achieve...it seemed very sincere...I'm sure people will start trying this very shortly...so we'll know soon enough...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
its magic

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

what utter twaddle - seriously its idiocy like this that supports the claim ` you can fool some of the people all of the time `

the claims they make give it away

first - the alleged hydrophobic " lightweight " shoes used -

its amazing that these ` out door persuits ` afficianadoes can only find one brand of water resistant sports shoe designed for aquatic activites - i have two pairs myself - merrill and saalmon

further , if this aggegation was true - then running in wellingron boots / or even bare foot would be superiour

the difference in weight between " heavy " and " lightweight " sports shoes is miniscule [ as a % of the wight of a adult male ]

further - the alleged weight saving - will be instantly lost on the second attempt when the alleged water runner is now wet

try weighing a neoprene wetsuit - before and after imersion

second the claim that running in an arc " helps " - no - the skimming stone they use as thier " validation " is infact SPINNING on a plane horizontal to the water surface - thats why it does not fly straight

as an experiment - try playing ` skimming stones ` using a catapult - despite the higher velocity - its less effective than spinning the stone thrown by hand

a ` classic ` example is the bittish bouncing bombs developed in WWII by wallis - they are spun perpenducular to the water surface - to make them fly in a staight line - but the principle is there - a spun object bounces off the surcafe where a unspunn object will sink

lastly the ` jet ski " assist " - sorry folks - but you CANNOT run faster being towed by something - you will simply be dragged over - any one who wished to claim otherise - should be tied to thier towing vehilcle with a leash they cannot release - being dragged will teach the idiots

the only way a " tow " will increase your running speed is an UNTETHERED AERODYNAMIC " TOW " similar to the egffect ysed by land speed record cyclists and F1 / other motorshport drivers to tailgate the slipstream of a vehicle infront of them

[edit on 10-5-2010 by ignorant_ape]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
well I can guarantee this
running on water is real
see video

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

There's an even better Criss Angel episode where he walks on water, but he does it on a lake instead and it's even crazier.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Do people not understand that those d-bags in the original video we're not moving their feet nearly fast enough to keep 150+ lbs and roughly 6 feet worth of mass above water? I don't care if you are using flippers, those idiots would not be above water. You notice how after a set length they always seem to go straight down into the water like a flailing moron? Notice how the first guy misses the running board(s) or stones in the first trial? I'm giving up on ATS more and more as the days go by...I'm beginning to think it's being overrun by middle-school aged children who pretend to be intelligent. Don't tell me the standard "kids can be smart too." No, they are children. They can be exceptionally smart for their age, but life experience alone is worth more than anything a young kid could ever pick up in a book.

Use your heads or at least quit arguing stupid sh#.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

sigh

please research the following :

the average body weight of a jesus christ lizard

the average surface area of its rear footprint

the forward velocity with which it runs

the rquequency of its foot falls [ how many times its feet touch the water / secpond - its linked to its forward velocity

and lastly - what it does with its tail

when you understand all these points - it will dawn on you why the jesus christ lizard can run on water - and a human cannot

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

sigh

please research the following :

the average body weight of a jesus christ lizard

the average surface area of its rear footprint

the forward velocity with which it runs

the rquequency of its foot falls [ how many times its feet touch the water / secpond - its linked to its forward velocity

and lastly - what it does with its tail

when you understand all these points - it will dawn on you why the jesus christ lizard can run on water - and a human cannot

I think he already knows that and was just being sarcastic.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS
Guys, are you serious?? Lets look at the physics of this... These are average sized guys, so lets say a size 10 shoe. The surface are they could push at most is one gallon per shoe. Thrust to weight to stay a float. LEts guess their weight at about 175 pounds. This meane they would need to push the water back at about 40 feet per second, just a rough estimate, considering that water is a liquid and goes down back and to the sides. That would work out to almost 50 miles per hour. I don't care what their form is, they are no where near that speed. And to be honest that would be in an ideal situation, I am not even taking things such as drag or anything into the equation. That would be like us saying that if we wear a shirt that comes from our fingertips to our feet we can flap our wings and fly.

They weigh too much, unless they have magically turned their bones hollow like birds and dropped their weight down to 20 or 25 pounds, this just isn't happening. There is something submerged, that is why the sudden drop off at the end. I wish this was true more than anyone but its not happening. We haven't quite succeeded at breaking the laws of physics yet.

Be cool,
K_OS

You might be right with the physics, however, the gys clearly stated that you need to believe you can do it, as did Jesus. Believe and anything is possible. Physics does not take into account the power of the mind. Is he really running on water? Or is he running on the belief that there is no water? When he diverts his attention from the focus of running, realising he actually is running on top of the water and not sinking, he sinks.

Science cant explain everything. I totally believe this is true because the mind is unbelievably powerful, far more powerful than we can ever imagine

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AOmonsta
Well let me try this again then:

You can also go across the water with a snowmobile. Watch it sink when he gets bogged out.

[edit on 5/10/10 by TheMadHatter]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It is a simple trick, there is a dock about 4 inches below the water, when they "run" on the water they are running on this submerged dock. I had classmate who pulled this same trick way back in 1968, but that was film. They throw a lot of filler in there to get you to not notice the "running" sequence which has a much different splash than the other water sequences, where they are developing the "technique". Chris Angle uses Plexiglas in the pool where a "dock" would be too obvious. If one has lots of money on could just go CGI like Jim Carrie in "Bruce Almighty".

[edit on 10-5-2010 by majicbar]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I can't believe how many ATS'ers are so easily duped, just because the
guy hints there ~might~ be some physics involved (leaning into it...lmao).

He also states "...You have to believe!"

Its an obvious attempt to go viral (probably to sell shoes) by a bunch of
smart-@sses.

April Fool...oh wait...it's May....lmao

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

You asked, "...If this was a huge advertising scam why would is it so discreetly put in there?"

I answer, "To fool skeptics like yourself--the portion of the population
who believe themselves to be skeptical, BUT, with an open mind.

I do have to give them credit for subtlety and nuance, and quite stellar
acting. Actually, I'm jealous I didn't think of this first--not that I would
have really made a video, but just for the creation of the thought.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join