It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Running on water ! For real !

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by silentecho

You got that from the logo on the shoe ?

Strange cause my kept looking at that massive JOBE star logo.
They don't even mention the name and for a sports brand for golf... I would expact something else.

But who knows.

Edit.
I never heard of it before

[edit on 5/9/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
In theory, this is not 'impossible'. The key to this is that water is not compressible under normal circumstances. Although a fluid, if water is impacted with sufficient velocity then the water effectively behaves like a solid surface.

Anybody who has 'belly flopped' really badly into a pool will attest to the fact that they may as well have been slapped in the guts with a plank of wood. As the guy demonstrates during the video, this is part of the process of skimming stones and so it is a real enough phenonema.

So, although not discounting the theory, I would have to have a bit more proof that the incompressible foot-falls could be achieved, the key being the flat surface of the shoe preventing a 'slicing' motion through the water which obviously prevents the 'solid' reaction of the water from occurring.

I would not claim that this video is 'proof' or a 'hoax' but the theory stands up in principle.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by SugarCube]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Marketing add no doubt about it and apparently effective as it gets people looking into it and thats what its all about.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Petty cool.

For me personally ?
I would have never even try and look it up. I don't even recognize the logo on the shoe.

My shoes are in fact also water proof.
I believe the material is called rubber or plastic.

Good find by the way

Still there is little evidence in the vid... they do mention the waster repelling very obvious.

But... does this mean the whole vid is a hoax ?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Video tape your self running on water. Then we will know if it is a hoax or not

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

My free time on sports is more passive but feel free to try.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
As you can float on the "Dead Sea", this is probably the place to go for anyone who's thinking of trying this....let us know how you get on.....lol!

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Myrddin Wyllt]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
An absolutely fundamental aspect of 'running' on water is that the foot 'touching' the water cannot be used in the conventional sense of running to push forward to the next step.

The maximum forward momentum must be achieved at the point that the runner takes the first 1st step, he his then slowing down the whole time.

The foot falls essentially prevent the runner from sinking but do not really add extra momentum to the motion.

Although the video is not 'proof', you can see that the runners tend to use a 'running on the spot' technique and lift their lower limbs almost vertically in the kind of 'chariots of fire' running technique.

The foot fall motion is not to drive the runner forward but to prevent them from sinking. Again, this is all in theory since the video does not provide enough evidence to state that they have actually achieved this process.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I would have preferred it had they done something to give an indication of the water depth at the beginning. We can't be sure if it isn't extremely shallow, and simply giving the illusion of depth, as water sometimes does.

But if this is real? Shoot! I've got to buy some stock in those water-running shoes.
Teenagers and tweens will be all over this.

[edit on 5/9/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
For those interested, here is the real being who can run on water!

Look at how the feet of the lizard actually go down into the water, it's not just skimming the surface like i would have imagined. Maybe the OP video is real but i am guessing it's a viral video.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Haha I wish I had thought of this gag.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by ThenThanCorrectionMan]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Wow that was really the best youtube video I have watched in a long time. I was in shock. I do think this is real, these guys mention more in the video about believing in themselves then anything else and I think that is all it takes.

Looking at the video here are some of my observations:

-They do wear the hi-tec logo throughout the video. It is on shirts, hats, ect...and in a lot of clips.

-1:15 - 1:17 ...notice how the water makes waves. My question is if they were stepping on stones or something like that then would those same waves still be created?

-1:40...some instrument is being used with a many diferent numbers, it was only shown for a brief second but I wonder if anyone can say what the numbers are?

I just don't think he could be running on something under the water because of the way he runs. Notice how much he uses his arms to propel him forward. He also brings his knees up and twists his ankles it seems.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Haha very true.
Im going to the lake district for picnicks this summer with a camera.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyle43
Wow that was really the best youtube video I have watched in a long time. I was in shock. I do think this is real, these guys mention more in the video about believing in themselves then anything else and I think that is all it takes.

Looking at the video here are some of my observations:

-They do wear the hi-tec logo throughout the video. It is on shirts, hats, ect...and in a lot of clips.

-1:15 - 1:17 ...notice how the water makes waves. My question is if they were stepping on stones or something like that then would those same waves still be created?

-1:40...some instrument is being used with a many diferent numbers, it was only shown for a brief second but I wonder if anyone can say what the numbers are?

I just don't think he could be running on something under the water because of the way he runs. Notice how much he uses his arms to propel him forward. He also brings his knees up and twists his ankles it seems.
Watch the video I just posted above.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ThenThanCorrectionMan

That just shows how one hoax method is done...it doesn't offer any proof that the OP video is a hoax. I'd be willing to bet that the water walker couldn't run on a structure like the one in the video you posted with the same form he does in the OP video. It wouldn't give any slack like the water runner.

Try different styles of running and you can see what I mean. Try running in the same form as the water walker. It is very awkward and seems like it couldn't be done on solid ground.

Here is a reference video for walking on unstable ground.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by kyle43]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyle43
reply to post by ThenThanCorrectionMan

That just shows how one hoax method is done...it doesn't offer any proof that the OP video is a hoax. I'd be willing to bet that the water walker couldn't run on a structure like the one in the video you posted with the same form he does in the OP video. It wouldn't give any slack like the water runner.

Try different styles of running and you can see what I mean. Try running in the same form as the water walker. It is very awkward and seems like it couldn't be done on solid ground.

Here is a reference video for walking on unstable ground.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by kyle43]
Rubbish you could easily run on something with a textured surface placed just below the surface.YOU CAN RUN THROUGH PUDDLES.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by ThenThanCorrectionMan]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Also the part of using a jetski to go faster is hilarious.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
An amusing video. What strikes me as odd is that the place where the water-runs begin seem to co-insist with each-other. There are two separate locations involved and both have the same oddity. Here's one of the locations. I had to crop, but one can always pause-play the vid as I did to confirm this finding.

Running on water seems to involve a sweet-spot to do so.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The Discovery of Archimedes' Principle
water displacement principle

As stated by Archimedes in his discovery.

In mechanics Archimedes discovered fundamental theorems concerning the centre of gravity of plane figures and solids. His most famous theorem gives the weight of a body immersed in a liquid, called after him, Archimedes' principle - that a body immersed in a fluid is subject to an upward force (buoyancy) equal in magnitude to the weight of fluid it displaces.

What this means is that every step in to the water has an equal force that is pushing back.

As to the displacement formula, you see there shoes acts like a vessel or boat that displaces the water for the fraction on a second.

Just remember this "old boat-builders" saying:
"8 pints, 8 pounds, the world around... "
Thus, an easy way to remember the formula for what you are trying to do.
8 pints weighs 8 pounds
8 pints in a gallon = 8 pounds in a gallon
8 gallons in 1 cubic foot...
thus: 8 gallons x 8 lbs each = 64 pounds in one cubic foot.

Whala! 64 lbs... Wouldn't you know this just happens to be the weight of 1 cubic foot of seawater... (fresh water of course is slightly less - 62)

I build boats all the time... I have always used this formula to determine bouyancy... and to estimate waterline... and thus draft & freeboard.

As in the video you can see that there steps bare just enough wait to displace the water for them to take the next one. This is all physics and math but not imposable just a modification of how to walk on water only.

If you do the math it will show that this doable and explainable but not imposable. They are the first ones to experiment with it and have some type of success with it. I for one believe it and hope that they can take it and make a new sport out of it. Who knows maybe in the next Olympics.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by jsettica]

[edit on 9-5-2010 by jsettica]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jsettica

Wow. Thanks for posting.

So cool !

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join