It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Oil Spill!..Have You Thought About This!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

I suppose you are smart-ass. I believe the oil will effect the storms, thats all I am saying. Did not need some punk with too much time, to come in on my thread trying to be a smart-ass. If you have nothing to add other than negativity and trying to be rude, stay off my threads!..Understood!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

Hello friend, no I had not thought of this. Very interesting concept, this is a plausable senerio, one with dire consequences for sure. I do not believe this oil spill is getting the attention it deserves. If this oil leak continues it could kill the ocean life the world over. What would that mean to our food chain and our whole ecological system? With everything else in the world going crazy I guess there is not room for being to worried on any one disaster but IMHO this could be the mother of all disasters. We live in perioluse times that is for sure. Some would argue oh its no big deal we have had wars, starvation, bad economical times, earthquakes, oil spills, volcanos ect...ect.... since the dawn of man, so what? I agree but we have not experienced them all at once in a 5 month time span effecting EVERY continient of the world. Wake up folks and get a grip with reality we are living in an age of great change; call it the tribulation, the age of awakening, a new dawn of man; whatever, but it is here.

(edit spelling)

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Melissa101]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I thought I was being helpful, you are worried that the oil would change the weather pattern in the gulf and I showed you it would not and even gave you a link to an article about it so you could read it for yourself.
Sorry but if I see someone with limited intelligence I tend to want to help them find answers so that they aren't all panicky that the world is going to end and all that because the oil will heat up and cause mass uber hurricanes

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Your sarcasm speaks volume for the myth of your own self poundering. I was only introducing a "thought," not fact! If you would learn to read a thread, instead of only finding a way to try to make yourself come across as some really smart guy, you would see the diffrence in your replys compared to others.

The only one looking like a fool here is YOU!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_skepticc

The only one looking like a fool here is YOU!
So says the scientist that thinks the oil is going to cause uber hurricanes.
Nice one genius.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Well I believe the oil is going to definitely alter climate patterns, but in a different manner to what some people are subscribing to.

The oil basically forms a thin film on top of the ocean, and obviously some of it will be thicker and darker in some patches, but the principle is much the same; the film is actually reflective of many spectrums of light (hence the formation of rainbows on water that has an oil film). Some of the most important spectrums of light will be reflected, and the important ocean-warming spectrums of light will be denied deeper penetration.

This will lead to a fall in the ocean temperatures around the spill, coupled with a decrease in precipitation as moisture evaporation if also inhibited by the oil film.

Ok granted I am not a scientist, so this is just my basic reasoning as to why I believe we are looking at ocean cooling, and sustained droughts, should this oil spill, and consequent layer of film, get so out of hand a lot of the world's oceans and seas are affected.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by cloudbreak]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudbreak

Ok granted I am not a scientist,

seiously? you're not?

ok you guys win the oil is going to alter the weather. you're right

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Yeah honestly, I am not a scientist.

You'd have to be pretty moronic though to not know that the oceans are the biggest regulator of temperatures and climate on earth. This, you should have learned in junior school (some of us though it seems, may have not reached this level of schooling?).

And pollution, of which oil is, is altering the ocean as we speak. To think an unprecedented volume of oil gushing into the ocean will not effect the balance of the ecosystem, in addition to its effect on the ability of the ocean to regulate in a fashion it normally does without said oil spill, is kind of ignorant.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudbreak

Don't argue with a moron, they'll just beat you with experience man!

Note: We'll wait and see about what and how it affects the hurricanes; however, there will be serious consequences from this oil spill that continues to leak over 5000 barrels of oil a day! Only a true moron would have a diffrent opion on that, kinda like one who goes around flaming post with the maturity of a fetus.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Yeah it's pretty strange that someone can't see the potential side-effects of an event such as this should the oil spill continue in intensity and for an extended period of time.

I don't know personally for sure how it will play out in terms of effecting climate (my post was just what I thought), but if things continue to a tipping point, then 100% climate willl be effected one way or another. It probably isn't at that stage yet - but, well - you know the picture of how much worse this could get in terms of size should things continue along the same trajectory they are now heading.

Climate is without doubt effected by natural disasters - whether for example it be simultaneous volcanic eruptions and massive amounts of volcanic ash, changes in the ocean currents and temperatures (think El Nino and La Nina), and - quite likely - subsequently when and if the oceans get so heavily intoxicated with oil, the ocean's ability to regulate, absorb and evaporate will be compromised.

To what extent, I do not know yet. But I am willing to say for certain that a body of water with too much oil in it will react and behave differently to the sun's energy and radiation than a body of water with little or no oil covering the surface.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Oil floats. The water won't escape. Hurricanes would be weaker.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Seriously though, it is quite entertaining arguing a point with unarmed...ahem, scientist.

Do you even realize how big and deep this body of water is? Do you have aby idea how many trilions of gallons of sea wter it contains/ well contains is incorrect because there is currents afterall. Do I have to explain currents?
That means the water circulates in and out of the Gulf. Our uber oil spill will be diluted witin the rest of the worlds sea water. Do you know how many gallons THAT is?

Here, go to this link and get an edumanacation:
www.epa.gov...

Oh, and by the way, why didn't the weather patterns change from this lil'ol spill?

June 3, Gulf of Mexico: exploratory oil well Ixtoc 1 blew out, spilling an estimated 140 million gallons of crude oil into the open sea. Although it is one of the largest known oil spills, it had a low environmental impact.
July 19, Tobago: the Atlantic Empress and the Aegean Captain collided, spilling 46 million gallons of crude. While being towed, the Atlantic Empress spilled an additional 41 million gallons off Barbados on Aug. 2. www.infoplease.com...

gloomers...

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I hope your right, I really do!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I dont think it will happen like that. It's a good idea, and i'm no scientist either, but here are my concerns with your proposal:

We all know of that oily sheen on the water, and i dont know how the oil interacts with light, but i would assume that it reflects a good deal of light, probably more than water. This would cause me to think that it might have the opposite effect (but overall, i think it would be insignificant).

Also, hurricanes form way, way, WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY out in the ocean. If it did influence hurricanes, it would only strengthen them for a short, probably rather insignificant amount of time.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Imagine this spill continues for another 3 months, now imagine this oil has had 4 months to continue to absorb heat from the sun and heat the waters. It does not matter if what I am sauing happens or not, but what does matter is the fact they can not stop this leak. The fact is, we may very well be screwed from this damn leak, and noone it seems is putting 2 and 2 together and realizing just how damn bad this is.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
this is a very good post i found from somewhere else...dont know how much truth it has

First fact, the original estimate was about 5,000 gallons of oil a day spilling into the ocean. Now they're saying 200,000 gallons a day. That's over a million gallons of crude oil a week!

I'm engineer with 25 years of experience. I've worked on some big projects with big machines. Maybe that's why this mess is so clear to me.

First, the BP platform was drilling for what they call deep oil. They go out where the ocean is about 5,000 feet deep and drill another 30,000 feet into the crust of the earth. This it right on the edge of what human technology can do. Well, this time they hit a pocket of oil at such high pressure that it burst all of their safety valves all the way up to the drilling rig and then caused the rig to explode and sink. Take a moment to grasp the import of that. The pressure behind this oil is so high that it destroyed the maximum effort of human science to contain it.

When the rig sank it flipped over and landed on top of the drill hole some 5,000 feet under the ocean.

Now they've got a hole in the ocean floor, 5,000 feet down with a wrecked oil drilling rig sitting on top of is spewing 200,000 barrels of oil a day into the ocean. Take a moment and consider that, will you!

First they have to get the oil rig off the hole to get at it in order to try to cap it. Do you know the level of effort it will take to move that wrecked oil rig, sitting under 5,000 feet of water? That operation alone would take years and hundreds of millions to accomplish. Then, how do you cap that hole in the muddy ocean floor? There just is no way. No way.

The only piece of human technology that might address this is a nuclear bomb. I'm not kidding. If they put a nuke down there in the right spot it might seal up the hole. Nothing short of that will work.

<< 1   >>

join