It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Weeping/Bleeding" Statues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I have seen pictures of biblical statues that appear to be weeping blood, are these natural phoenomenas or just elaborate hoaxes??

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
To answer your question - They are both. Some could even be genuine manifestations.

Natural phenomena - Statues are usually made of stone. At night the stone cools. When people enter the church in the morning their breath causes condensation (similar to where people get on a cold bus in a winters morning). The condensation could appear as tears, especially since the eye sockets of some statues are indented, hence are collectors of liquid.

Hoaxes - I believe that during Renaissance times some elaborate hoaxes were created using hollowed out statues with pipes attached to the eyes from behind. A very small pinprick hole was made in the eyes of the statue and animal blood pumped into the tube which then made the statue appear to be weeping blood.

Genuine phenomena - I believe that certain weeping statues are genuine.
For example, the phial of St Philomena's blood apparently turns liquid before returning to dust. This cannot be explained scientifically so I will not even attempt to do so.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I was present during two 'weepings' of two different statues. One was in 1991 in Medjugorje Yugoslavia. The statue of Mary on the side altar of St. James Church cried human tears. At least, it appeared to be human tears. It does this frequently. Considering Medjugorje is under investigation by the Catholic Church, I'm sure they are checking things out - Xrays to the statue, etc.

The other was around 1994. It was a small, foot tall, statue of Mary in Birmingham Alabama. It was in a private home. It cried olive oil. I was able to pick it up and move it around, etc. Nothing was attached. It still cried. THAT was interesting!

join