It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its time for everyone to take a deep breath...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This is in response to the large number of chicken little posts...

We all live too much in the NOW. We all seem to think that the worst is NOW and seem to think it will all only get worse, but that is not the case.

The worst has come and gone so many times in the past that it would be hard to count the number of times. Media pulls everyone’s strings by the hour and everyone is played like a fiddle.

The truth is things are not bad and will not get worst and will only get better. That is the truth after all of this bull is pushed aside. In 10 or 50 years everything will be just a small speck in history, but of course it is all consuming today for many. I know a guy who has a good job, cares for his family well and can’t pinpoint a single thing in his life that he could say is bad, but he is planning on moving out of the country because of all the bad events that are going to happen soon.

Something wicked this way comes…is a fairytale…

Obama, illegal aliens, economy, wars, 2012, etc… are all just events that come and go and in the end will not affect much, well other than many of YOU who seem to want to live in some depressed state waiting year by year for the big one…. Well don’t hold your breaths.

Case in point, WWII, now that was an event that today we see as a blink in history and even try to blow off as some old event that means very little. There was no holocaust, Nazis/Japanese were not that bad, it can’t have been 100 of millions dead/hurt and lives totally destroyed….Naw could not have been that bad…well it was, but as we can see has little or no effect 60 years later.

Well people you can live a good life or do as my friend is palnning and totally disrupted your lives over things that happen all the time and will continue to happen no matter what you do, AND more importantly will mean every little in a few generations.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

but as we can see has little or no effect 60 years later.

I was with you up until this point. Are you trying to say that without WW2 the world would be the same? Pretty sure the war had a massive effect on history.

Overall though I agree. Worrying about every little thing that's happening or everything that might happen in the future does no one any good. Calm down and take a deep breath

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

but as we can see has little or no effect 60 years later.

I was with you up until this point. Are you trying to say that without WW2 the world would be the same? Pretty sure the war had a massive effect on history.

Overall though I agree. Worrying about every little thing that's happening or everything that might happen in the future does no one any good. Calm down and take a deep breath

No my point is PEOPLE today see it as little consequences on their lives even though it had huge consequences on the world, but who alive today really feels or is affected by such a huge negative event that were not a part of it… no one…

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
lol did he just say wwii had little or no effect?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jacktherer
lol did he just say wwii had little or no effect?

So may I ask what affect has it had on your life? Do you see anything even coming close to it in our future? If you answer nothing and no, then I would say that our future has a rather good outlook since something as horrendous as WWII has come and gone, and guess what, life is still good.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I agree with the OP. Heck, millions of bad stuff can come our way anytime. Life is never a bed of roses. When it happens, it already happened.

What is more critical is to find solutions to crisis, not mope and moan. Our forefathers face similar threats but they had never gave up. They did what was necessary and life continues on, as it will continue for us and the next generations.

Come what may, we flawed humans unfortunately proned to errors, will survive, as long as we use our brains, hands and legs to contribute, just correct errors and move on a bit more smarter, just as our forefathers did.

It aint the end, not by a long shot. Cheers! :-)

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I agree with you that many people alive today probably don't have a direct link to the generation that fought in WWII. My grandparents went through that war and I have a lot of memories of the stories that my grandfather told me about his experience in Europe. He is my one tangible hero and will be till the day I die.

Of course perspective is important. Anyone living today in a country torn by war or natural disaster will have a much dimmer view of the present than I. Technology is key to the hysteria I see in a lot of people now. The Internet is a continual jet stream of bad news. I honestly think it's bad for one's health.

But as an optimist I believe it is getting better everyday for many. The big wheel keeps spinning! And I just have a strong feeling that a truly major, quantum leap, is in store for the human race in the next 100 years.

DE

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert_eagle
I agree with you that many people alive today probably don't have a direct link to the generation that fought in WWII. My grandparents went through that war and I have a lot of memories of the stories that my grandfather told me about his experience in Europe. He is my one tangible hero and will be till the day I die.

Of course perspective is important. Anyone living today in a country torn by war or natural disaster will have a much dimmer view of the present than I. Technology is key to the hysteria I see in a lot of people now. The Internet is a continual jet stream of bad news. I honestly think it's bad for one's health.

But as an optimist I believe it is getting better everyday for many. The big wheel keeps spinning! And I just have a strong feeling that a truly major, quantum leap, is in store for the human race in the next 100 years.

DE

Thinking about WWII, what if that war was instantly broadcast minute by minute as events are today instead of the monthly propaganda newsreels seen at the movie theaters?

We could all avoid the news for months on end and nothing much would have changed. If people do not believe me go back a year and read all news for a week then go forward six months and read all news again, and very little would have actually changed.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you. Personally I don't think the NOW is that bad, however, I see the coming future as one of the worst time periods in human history.

Worse than World War II. Worse than the Holocaust. Worst than the Dark Ages.

You see, there are so many belief spectrums in the world. There are those that involve the religion, those that involve the spiritual, those that involve history, and many, many more. The problem with most of those belief spectrums is that just about every single belief spectrum in human history calls for the "worst of worst" times and sooner or later, it is bound to happen.

For most people, their are events happening in the world that directly correlate to the worst case scenario. You can argue that these moments have come and gone, but for those who study history with a fine point, they realize that there has been no event in history that has kept the entire world standing on the edge of societal collapse. Today, the world is so interconnected, so corrupt, and so volatile to the slightest problems - that something so small in the system could set off a chain reaction that would upset the lives of every person living in a modernized world.

Everything you, I, and those in these societies have come to know, believe, and to love - will change in the a short amount of time in the case of such an event, and because of the inability of some people to cope with change - death will be a result. Death from starvation, death from riots, death from disease and lack of care, death from war. Should the chain reaction begin then World War II will look like Custer's last ride compared to what would ensue.

I personally believe that unless people change now that the outcome is inevitable and is bound to happen within this current generation. The current standard of living throughout the world is unsustainable as it is and something is going to have to give. Whether the people of the world give in willfully to limitations and decide to change on their own, or whether the structure of the modern world collapses and forces them to change - regardless CHANGE is coming.

To some of us, change isn't so bad of a thing, but for others - they would rather die.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you. Personally I don't think the NOW is that bad, however, I see the coming future as one of the worst time periods in human history.

Worse than World War II. Worse than the Holocaust. Worst than the Dark Ages.

You need to think about what actually pushes these views...they are constantly refreshed by the media and internet into a "well it didn’t happen this week as we said, but next week" senerio……

You see, there are so many belief spectrums in the world. There are those that involve the religion, those that involve the spiritual, those that involve history, and many, many more. The problem with most of those belief spectrums is that just about every single belief spectrum in human history calls for the "worst of worst" times and sooner or later, it is bound to happen.

Ya it can come and go. but will it be next week, next year or in 200 years?

For most people, their are events happening in the world that directly correlate to the worst case scenario. You can argue that these moments have come and gone, but for those who study history with a fine point, they realize that there has been no event in history that has kept the entire world standing on the edge of societal collapse.

And what event is that today? nothing new or even close to past events.

Today, the world is so interconnected, so corrupt, and so volatile to the slightest problems - that something so small in the system could set off a chain reaction that would upset the lives of every person living in a modernized world.

Go back to the 1800s early 1900s... now you want to talk corrupt... I could write pages on pages of corrupt events back then that today would be viewed as hideous crimes against humanity… and I’m not even talking Civil War or Either World wars, but just you basic US government, local officials and companies.

I think people just do not undertand what bad really is...

Everything you, I, and those in these societies have come to know, believe, and to love - will change in the a short amount of time in the case of such an event, and because of the inability of some people to cope with change - death will be a result. Death from starvation, death from riots, death from disease and lack of care, death from war. Should the chain reaction begin then World War II will look like Custer's last ride compared to what would ensue.

Yep ok, you got a time table on it? I bet we do not see that in our lives and the more advance we get the less likely it will happen. I’m not trying to debate you or argue against your beliefs, but you are the foundation of my point.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Thanks for the reality check.

I don't think your letter would have calmed the fears of the Jews hiding from the Nazis...

Woops, got to go. 7.4 earthquake with Tsunami Warning. I may need to head to higher ground.

Thanks

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
You are wrong. The majority knows nothing until they are being told to serve their countries military and defend their secret agendas. When half your body is missing because you were running scared through a mine field, my friend that's when you will be living in the now. I'll give you this though... we are living in a purposely distorted now, and will lose everything, including our life, if we choose to keep ignoring politics. We need to get together and figure out a solution as a community to progress our time span here on Earth.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Case in point, WWII, now that was an event that today we see as a blink in history and even try to blow off as some old event that means very little. There was no holocaust, Nazis/Japanese were not that bad, it can’t have been 100 of millions dead/hurt and lives totally destroyed….Naw could not have been that bad…well it was, but as we can see has little or no effect 60 years later.

You lost me there. World War II had a huge impact on the people of this planet and my own family. Several older friends and family members I know lost their fathers, lost their brothers who could have potentially gave me more family members to know in my life, or had PTSD that wrecked their lives post-war.

The rest of humanity suffered just as much. We may have even lost humans or potential humans who might have ended some of the suffering we endure today with scientific or medical breakthroughs.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
There's a small group of men trying to take over the world.

They never stop working

Neither should we

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Speaking as a Brit, WWII had and has a massive effect on the way our country is right now. We have only recently finally paid off the massive debt we owed to the US after the war, and our subordinate position to the US in the "special relationship is a direct consequence of that financial arrangement.

The nuclear legacy of WWII cannot be underestimated, the space exploration that has gone on since the war is a direct consequence of the US taking over Nazi rocket studies conducted for the war and basically the whole geopolitical make-up of the world is a direct consequence of that war.

A much smaller scale conflict, Vietnam, still resonates in modern culture, as does Korea, as will Iraq.

To say that the current concerns of Humanity will be seen as a 'blip' in the future is probably correct. But to say that things can only get better smacks of Tony Bliar's election campaign (con-pain?) and still smarts a little. It also seems to ignore the fact that there are many potential disasters waiting around the corner for us. Super-volcanos, pandemics, asteroid strikes, nuclear conflicts and extreme solar events to name but a few.

Our global society is a very, very fragile thing. POssibly much more so than before WWII.

So should we worry? If it means that we are even slightly less shocked when the # hits the fan, then I really do think so.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

I understand what you are saying. It is only natural to fear. There is still much to experience in life and love. See the glory of an awesome sun rising over the open fields of your land. Savour in the magnificence of the humble butterfly as it spread its wings and take flight.

Wonder in the megalithic monuments built by our ancestors. Walk into the glorious setting sun hand in hand with your loved ones, and then watch the soft velvety covers of the night layered away revealing the breathtaking sight of twinkling stars beckoning you and your awe strucked kid brother.....

This is our gift of life. Earning a living is but only sustenance for us. We work to live, and not live to work, for our life span is but only a twinkling of an eye.

We love life, despite its ugliness and the enforced remoseless pursuit of wealth at all and others expense, there is much more loveliness in store. And we know only too well nothing is forever. Good...and bad never lasts....And if our lives are short lived...how much more would we have lost....?

However, there are issues that are often beyond our control. And at times when we try to control, we only end up controlling much more resulting even far worse outcome.

Certains issues takes time to come around, and panicking will only make thing much more worse. Let us all instead control those issues within our capability and for SHTF problems, let it come what may, but to work together as one to resolve such crisis with solutions and not acrimony...

And to live and treasure life today, because no one truly knows what tomorrow brings....

Take and break and enjoy this melody

[edit on 9-5-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
What if the people, as others have mentioned, decided that Hitler was just "another megalomaniac" and had NOT taken action. What if the people of the Western nations decided the Communists really were just "another philosophy" that wouldn't really change anything anyway. What if we had watched the stories of the tsunami in Asia and did nothing, since that was just "another of the many natural events."

What we decide to do each day makes the future what it will be.

While I understand that your purpose was to help us place current events into a better perspective. However, our choices have to fit into that perspective as well.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
"Damage Control! Report to ATS immediately! They're starting to get all worked up over it.

Deny WWII as important. Tell them the holocaust didn't happen (please don't let them remember that). Tell them everything will be peaceful".

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Your point on the surface seems plausible but underneath it is hollow. People do not live in the all consuming now. If that were true your friend would not be moving. He is anticipating the future.

We still live by 3000yr old prophecys and thousand year old books.
Our government can be traced back to Rome in its function.
Our banking system back to fuedal China.
Our factories and industry to the late 1890's.

The past and future are totally relevant on everyday behavior. Being that our whole belief system is set up on it, it can't be any other way. I would argue that the NOW is all there ever has been and will be but that's for another discussion.

Slavery, the Holocaust, revolutionary war, Crusades these are events that have shaped the world around us. It is not so easy to discredit them.

"400 years of history, could not be wiped so easily" -Bob Marley.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FearNoEvil
Thanks for the reality check.

I don't think your letter would have calmed the fears of the Jews hiding from the Nazis...

Woops, got to go. 7.4 earthquake with Tsunami Warning. I may need to head to higher ground.

Thanks

You are missing my point...

If there was a holocaust scenario looming in our future I would be right next to you, large earthquakes happen all the time every year and if one hits where I live I will then have a direct event, like a looming holocaust to act on.

I’m not going to spend the next 50 years of my life thinking a 7.4 earth quake will hit me any day now. One is real events and the other is the constant fear of what could happen…..

Right now we have doom and gloom floating in everyone’s post and I’m just saying act on real events and not perceived possible events or as I said you will spend your whole life waiting on the big one, that will most likely never happen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join