It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teaching english abroad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Has anyone had experience with teaching english in either Thailand or China? I'm thinking about taking a 6 - 12 month trip in order to unwind, clear my head and breath in a little culture. Are there better places to go for Westerners, that may be cheaper or where I'll have a better experience? Is it hard to get a supplemental job, teaching english?

--airspoon

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I know a few people who have been teaching English in Vietnam...they loved the experience.

Only downside was when they returned to the UK the experience didn't count any towards a new job over here!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by uptheirons!

Hey thanks for your input. I'm not too worried about getting good job experience for when I return to the states. I'm only worried about getting good life experience. The one major thing that I'm worried about is the cost of living and if I would even need a supplemental job, such as teaching english, though I guess it is part of the whole experience. I'm wondering if an existing income of $1,000USD/month, in addition to the small amount earned for teaching english, would be sufficient to stay afloat and have a good time. I keep getting conflicting reports from the people that I have talked to. Some have said that this would be more than enough while others have said that it wouldn't.

--airspoon

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well the friends i am talking about seemed to spend most of their time not teaching in a bar somewhere, and they didn't have money troubles until they got back here!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by uptheirons!

lol, I bet! I'm broke now after paying for school and other unforseen issues over the past several years so when I come back broke, it won't make much of a difference.

I already have a steady income that comes automatically so I may not even need to supplament that by teaching and instead, I can work on my writing, depedning on the country and cost of living. Oh well, thanks for your input, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

--airspoon

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I took the TEFL course a few years ago and failed, even though I'm English, my English wasn't good enough.

I had been travelling through Central America and wanted to go back and teach English out there.

Central America is a cheap place to travel and there are some great countries to visit, Guatamala, Belize, Honduras, Coasta Rica and Panama. Amazing countries with rich histories.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

The US is sending volunteers from the Peace Corp to teach English in my country, Malaysia which is located between Thailand and Singapore. You can try and get in touch with them and sign up for a stint here. But I have to forewarn you that the standard of English has deteriorated so bad it could be quite challenging. Teachers who taught us during my school days were Kirkby (UK) trained whereas the schools now use locally trained teacher. Cost of living in the rural area would be quite low so as a Peace Corp teacher you'd probably be paid too. Besides you can go vacation in Thailand or Singapore. Indonesia, Phillippines, Cambodia and Vietnam are all in the neighbourhood. You can get to see SE Asia.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I dont know if it is true, but I heard a neighbor of mine talk about numerous Saudi universities, that are more than willing to take foreign teachers for English.
Though I dont know about anyone who has had any experience teaching English in that country.

top topics

join