It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Bennett ousted at Utah GOP convention: 1st Incumbent to lose seat in Washington this year!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I love to ponder the ever-growing list of occupations that disqualify a person for office. Let's see what we have so far:

CEO's

former Washington lobbyists/insiders (well, this one I sort of agree with)

Businessmen

Lawyers

Millionaires and Billionaires

Former politicians

So we should just categorically exclude the above. No exceptions.

Now that sounds like a real grown-up way to think!

So who should we elect?

Blue collar workers

Incomes of $40-$50K

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Great work TEA Partiers!

Wait a minute....

Originally posted by anon72

Sen. Bob Bennett, R-Utah, becomes emotional while thanking his volunteers and family after being rejected by delegates at the 2010 Utah GOP Convention on Saturday in Salt Lake City[edit on 5/8/2010 by anon72]

This was a GOP convention that voted him out...what do you mean "great work Tea Partiers"?....I thought the Tea Party wasn't GOP?

Confused.

Well let's see who he lost to...Maybe it was some independant...from the OP article..

He garnered just under 27 percent of the vote while businessman Tim Bridgewater had 37 percent and attorney Mike Lee got 36 percent.

Okay...googled Tim Bridewater...Signed the Club For Growth Pledge, and this from his website
SOCIALLY CONSERVATIVE.
FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE.
RIGHT TO THE POINT.

Also from his website..

Tim Bridgewater is the Chairman and founder of Interlink Capital Strategies, serving there since 1994. He has also served as a managing partner and chief financial officer for several businesses, including an investment fund focused on small businesses.

Tim Bridgewater began his career in commercial banking ....

Okay..what is Interlink? Lets google his business...

Working in Washington, Bridgewater met Dick Richards, the former chairman of the Republican National Committee, and went to work for the Ogden native.

"We were doing government consulting, I guess I'd call it lobbying business," Richards said.

Richards also introduced Bridgewater to the politically powerful, including President George H.W. Bush and his son Neil, who partnered with Bridgewater to launch Interlink Capital Strategies in 1994.

In addition to his business ventures, Bridgewater has been active in politics for years. He supported the Bush family's political endeavors, becoming a "Pioneer" by raising more than $100,000 for George W. Bush's presidential bids in both 2000 and 2004 and he raised money for the senior Bush's presidential library.

www.sltrib.com...

Okay so he is Wall Street, before that a LOBBYIST and now runs an investment group with GW Bushes son and makes Ronald Reagan look like a Liberal......

That is what the tea party has in mind? to elect a far right investment banker / former lobbyists who is literally partners with the Bush family?....because they are angry about the mess that Wall Street got us into and the bailouts that Bush signed off on? That is the plan? The "Change" they have in mind?

Explain to me again how the Tea Party is not GOP?...

But at the same time voting as delegates at GOP conventions...Voting for GOP candidates? GOP candidates that are far right and big business and are partnered with the Bush family?

WOW!

Originally posted by Carseller4
Great work TEA Partiers!

[edit on 10-5-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

This was a GOP convention that voted him out...what do you mean "great work Tea Partiers"?....I thought the Tea Party wasn't GOP?

Bingo! You definitely win the prize for being the most observant.

In their heyday, Republicans were characterized by being strong conservatives. I think what the point here is, is that an incumbent is not safe just because he/she has an R after their name. The TPM supports candidates that have a certain set of values. Party affiliation by itself means nothing.

Does that mean that they would support a DEM with strong conservative values over a weak R? I don't know?!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

I think what the point here is, is that an incumbent is not safe just because he/she has an R after their name. The TPM supports candidates that have a certain set of values. Party affiliation by itself means nothing.

Does that mean that they would support a DEM with strong conservative values over a weak R? I don't know?!

It would be difficult for them to support a Democrat while they are registered GOP Delegates voting in Republican Conventions...seeing as this was a GOP convention and Bennett was voted out by registered GOP delegates.. THAT is the point !

So we can drop the charade that the TPM is anything other than far right registered (even delegates) GOP members who voted for a former Republican Lobbyist who is currently partnered in a wall street firm with GW Bush's son...or we can drop the claim that this was the TPMs doing...or we can pretend that we don't understand basic logic...Your choice.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

It would be difficult for them to support a Democrat while they are registered GOP Delegates voting in Republican Conventions...seeing as this was a GOP convention and Bennett was voted out by registered GOP delegates.. THAT is the point !

Really? They are registered GOP Delegates?

Where did you get that from? I hadn't heard that.

So we can drop the charade that the TPM is anything other than far right registered (even delegates) GOP members who voted for a former Republican Lobbyist who is currently partnered in a wall street firm with GW Bush's son...or we can drop the claim that this was the TPMs doing...or we can pretend that we don't understand basic logic...Your choice.

I'll wait to see where your info that the TPM are registered GOP members and delegates before I continue. And your addition of 'far right' to their description was unnecessary, though not surprising.

A group does not need to be a registered delegate to influence an election. Add that to the list of missing logical elements in your argument.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

Really? They are registered GOP Delegates?

Where did you get that from? I hadn't heard that.

No offense, but a serious question...Did you read the OP article? That is a good place to start.

From the OP article..

Republican Sen. Bob Bennett was rejected Saturday by delegates at the Utah GOP convention in a stunning defeat for a once-popular three-term incumbent who fell victim to a growing conservative movement nationwide.

'Too much at stake'
Bennett survived a first round of voting Saturday among roughly 3,500 delegates but was eliminated when he finished a distant third in the second round.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Yes I did read the OP. What you pointed out means nothing. It certainly doesn't mean that the TPM are registered delegates.

Let me explain it this way: there are certain groups which hold great sway in elections, without being active members of any delegation. Groups like the NRA and AARP. The TPM falls into this category.

So once again: where is your source that the TPM were registered GOP delegates for this election?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Well, apparently there is no proof forthcoming that the TPM were 'registered GOP delegates' at this convention. Another unfounded rumor that we can put to rest.

Originally posted by maybereal11
So we can drop the charade that the TPM is anything other than far right registered (even delegates) GOP members...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join