It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick! All Georgia Members, Look Up! What is That Bright Star?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Good evening ya'll. I was just leaving out for work and noticed a huge bright 'star' in the sky, I called the hubby out to look at it, he brushed it off and said it must be plane or helicopter, but I watched it all the way to work and now that I am here I know for sure it is stationary, not a plane or heli. It is huge and bright! I wish I had a camera but I don't , so all you that can please have a look and see what you think this is.

I checked around and don't see any notable planets that are supposed to be in view tonight, I may not be checking the right sources though. It definatley has some color to it, I can see a pinkish and a bluish hue to the outer parts of it.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

What direction in the sky do you see this? When you say it's not moving, do you mean it's not moving with the rest of the stars either, or just not like a craft?

If it's to the east, it could be Arcturus.

[edit on 8/5/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Could it be the ISS or a satellite?

I saw something the other night outside my balcony and it freaked me out but in a way it's kind of cool. It wasn't a planet, the ISS or a satellite. I track all those on my laptop when I see something and it just disappeared. I have seen it before but in a different location and that was back in November. I didn't sleep until the sun came up! It moved down and to the left and then just disappeared about 2mins later. It was bright and had color to it. I have no idea what it was either.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Not moving as in a craft. I checked on Arcturus, it isn't due to be seen until tommorrow night. It is located in the eastern sky, very low on the horizon.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Funny you mention this; we have been seeing it on the east cost as well.
I was told it is Venus.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'm in FL, so I'm assuming it would be NE for me...but we have too much cloud cover and I can't see anything. Have a co-worker snap a cell phone pic and email it to you, post it when you get off work...any pic is better than no pic. Just a notion

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Arcturus is not "due" to be seen until tomorrow. If you look pretty high above the horizon it's there, it rose before sunset.

You are looking at Vega.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
satellites or space objects in geosynchronous orbit will appear standing still.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Im on the East Coast of Australia, and every night, low in the south there is a big flashing star; it flashes red, blue and yellow. It is at is brightest between 11pm-1am I have filmed it and its colors are crazy. Ive tried looking for info online but can’t find anything. Id love to know what it is, it moves slowly throughout the night, In line with other stars but looks very different. Could be a planet, but I don’t think it’s a satellite; I saw your post and wondered if it’s the same thing???? Be stoked to find out what it is...

[edit on 8-5-2010 by deenuu]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Aha, this is why it seems so bright:

Vega is a classic class A (A0) white main sequence dwarf star, like the Sun quietly running off the nuclear fusion of hydrogen deep in its core,

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by deenuu

You should download Stellarium. You can set it up to your exact location. It shows you the night sky and all the stars in real time. Oh and it's a free program. Very neat program! This should give you an idea of just what you're looking at. This goes for the OP as well.

[edit on 5/8/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by impressme

I see it too, but it can't be venus because it twinkles.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

champion, thanx mate.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
hmm, this is all I can see that is supposed to be in view:

May 8, 2010
Jupiter, the largest planet in the solar system, stands a little below the crescent Moon at first light tomorrow. Jupiter looks like a brilliant cream-colored star.

May 9, 2010
The star at the tip of the Big Dipper's handle, Alkaid, is 100 light-years away, so the light you see from the star tonight began its journey in 1910. Alkaid is much larger, brighter, and heavier than the Sun, and has a bluer color.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Phage, are they out early? Are you saying that it is not due and it in view before it should be? And if so is that an unusual occurance? What would cause it?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Explanation: Well done Phage! St*r for you!

Here is some proof to back that statement up OK!

View toward horizon from 32°N 84°W, azimuth 45° (NE)
Sun 2010 May 9 2:32 UTC[fourmilab.ch]

Vega [wiki]

Personal Disclosure:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I would love to download Stellaruim, but I am on my work computer, if I did have a co worker to take a pic of it, I would not be able to download it to this computer, well, not without possibly getting in trouble anyway. I will however put it on my computer at home!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Ga. here, I saw what I thought was a meteor make a 45 degree turn at 10:30pm. this was in NW Georgia. Already reported it to MUFON.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Wow. I went out and looked at it again, it has been about 45 min since I first saw it, and it is twinkling like crazy!

Oh, and Phage I think I figured out what is causing my confusion here, it is the time differences between the time here and the time these are listed to be seen. Thanks!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I spotted this star three day's ago. My neighbors thought it was odd and it seems to move. If you line up the object with the treetops, it will move, in no time it was gone.
I did watch it again tonight.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by impressme]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join