It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS! New York Times- Problem for Containment Dome in Gulf

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigcountry08
Just a little fact I found interesting when I read the Op article, it stated that 210000 gallons of oil have been leaking out from the pipes everyday ( if that's really the truth) so that got me curious on what type of ratio that would be ocean water to oil. Turns out there's about

346,049,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water in the all of the oceans.

The oil has been leaking for 20 days now.

210,000 gallons have been leaking out every day which equals a total of 4,200,000 gallons a day

Which means that the whole ocean is now 1.15% oil.

Now think about that number, it's for the whole ocean what percent do you think the Gulf of Mexico would be in itself, and if it could take up to 2 years to plug the leak what percent would it be then.

I know this fact doesn't scientifically correlate but think about it on the natural level. It only takes a blood alcohol level of around .4% to kill a human being. The ocean already has a level of 1.15% oil, and if you ask me the oceans are the blood of the earth screw with that and you're liable to shut down an organ or 2.

1 leaking oil pipe has made 1.15% of the oceans oil. Something doesn't seem right about that.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Here's a couple videos I found on YT of a flyover. Looks like the Gulf is dead if they can't cap it soon.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984
Here is a serious question:

Where do we send hair clippings to in order to help out the cleanup effort? I am currently trying to get a small group of people together in my hometown to go around to the local hair salons and barbershops to collect all the hair clippings and send them down to the gulf. Does anybody know how to donate them or send them there?

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

I hope this helps, started a whole thread on this very subject. Thank you:
Donate Hair

[edit on 9-5-2010 by discl0sur3]

[edit on 9-5-2010 by discl0sur3]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Is it technically feasible to begin placing drilling rigs adjacent to the leak and throughout this particular reservoir, in an effort to start siphoning off the basin's capacity and reducing its pressure head?

How long does it take to get a rig in position and operating?

How many rigs are available for immediate relocation?

en.wikipedia.org...

Here's a comprehensive list of petroleum companies. It's about time the human race calls some of these criminals onto the carpet.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 9-5-2010 by seasoul]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Where do we send hair clippings to in order to help out the cleanup effort? I am currently trying to get a small group of people together in my hometown to go around to the local hair salons and barbershops to collect all the hair clippings and send them down to the gulf. Does anybody know how to donate them or send them there?

Yes, I got an e-mail from them. You can mail it to the following address until May 18th. After May 18th, they will no longer be there.

This is what their e-mail said:

These are LIMITED TEMPORARY DONATION SPOTS THAT WE ARE PROVIDING TO YOU SPECIFICALLY.

IF YOU HAVE JUST SIGNED UP OR HAVE MORE HAIR...

You can UPS, FEDEX, USPS or DROP OFF to the closest - until MAY 18th CURRENT DEADLINE.

HAIR FOR BOOM B Qs

921 Canal St.
New Orleans, LA. 70112

(They have a lot of space and a lot of volunteers. And want more hair / fur!)

[edit on 9-5-2010 by nikiano]

[edit on 9-5-2010 by nikiano]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Here is my answer to the BP spill

img339.imageshack.us...

I hope they fix the problem soon

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Actually the shut-off valve probably works fine.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

This suggestion is ludicrous; the depth at which the pipe head is at would make it impossible to accomplish this task; to make matters worse BP's idea of boxing it off is just as ridiculous. You would have a better chance of using low yield underwater demolition delivered down to the gulf floor through Deepsea Rover Submersible; you place the charges 360 degrees at 20' intervals embedded in the ocean floor at a depth of 300'; the yield would be approximately 180 tons per hole; ignition of these devices all at once would create a pressure event that would press the pipe rock shut collapsing the rock pipe just below the surface. Because, the depth at which the pipe head is at is so very cold you would not have a problem with igniting the shell; and any small fractures that may occur IE.. smaller leaks would seal themselves through natural freezing of methane gas. Just one of many real solutions to the oil spill capping problem.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by seasoul
Is it technically feasible to begin placing drilling rigs adjacent to the leak and throughout this particular reservoir, in an effort to start siphoning off the basin's capacity and reducing its pressure head?

That is something they've been talking about doing since this started, and they might be working on it, now, but they've said it will take 90 days for such a plan to even begin to be effective.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

At current estimates of oil leakage we are looking at over 250 mil gallons of oil after 2 years.
How many litres of the earths oceans will this pollute and how much of the ocean will the become uninhabited by marine life.
If oil absorbs heat how much will the ocean then heat up as a result of this spill and what impact will this then have on global warming?
Just my 2 cents

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

THEY SHOULD TAKE THE COST OF THE CLEANUP DIRECTLY OUT OF THE PERSONAL ASSETS OF THE TOP 1,000 RICHEST EMPLOYEES OF BP.

But I am sure most of you capitalists who worship money wont like
that idea.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MolecularPhD

This suggestion is ludicrous; the depth at which the pipe head is at would make it impossible to accomplish this task; to make matters worse BP's idea of boxing it off is just as ridiculous. You would have a better chance of using low yield underwater demolition delivered down to the gulf floor through Deepsea Rover Submersible; you place the charges 360 degrees at 20' intervals embedded in the ocean floor at a depth of 300'; the yield would be approximately 180 tons per hole; ignition of these devices all at once would create a pressure event that would press the pipe rock shut collapsing the rock pipe just below the surface. Because, the depth at which the pipe head is at is so very cold you would not have a problem with igniting the shell; and any small fractures that may occur IE.. smaller leaks would seal themselves through natural freezing of methane gas. Just one of many real solutions to the oil spill capping problem.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

What process are you referring to? I never made any suggestions...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigcountry08

346,049,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water in the all of the oceans.

The oil has been leaking for 20 days now.

210,000 gallons have been leaking out every day which equals a total of 4,200,000 gallons a day

Which means that the whole ocean is now 1.15% oil.

Now think about that number, it's for the whole ocean what percent do you think the Gulf of Mexico would be in itself, and if it could take up to 2 years to plug the leak what percent would it be then.

OH NO!!!...if thats true, then that means that if it takes 2 years to fix, 42% of the ocean would be oil!

Fortunately, its not true...here's a tip: when your calculator shows 1.15e-14, that means you need to move the decimal point a few spaces...lol

The answer you were looking for was .0000000000012% of the worlds oceans that is now oil from this leak.

Which means in 2 years, .000000000044% of the worlds oceans would be oil from this leak.

Think about what you're suggesting: a 210,000 gallon per day leak making up 1% of an ocean with 346 sextillion gallons of water in it.

1% of 346 sextillion gallons is 3.46 sextillion gallons, not the 4.2 million that you suggested

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MolecularPhD

Yeah except that at 10,000 psi inside the pipe, spiking by an order of magnitude, you have oil that is at times over 400 degrees.
Definition of flash point is "the temperature at which there is enough vapor above the liquid to ignite in the presence of an ignition source"
The flash point of a mixture is always close to the flash point of the lightest components of your mixture, in this case Methane or CH4 has a flash point of -144C.
Seems like what we really need is a tapered bore insert and a way to chill the crude, Lower portion of the tapered insert bears cooling fins that cause hydration, effectively plugging the bore.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by discl0sur3
4:41 p.m. | Updated Officials for BP on Saturday encountered a significant setback in their efforts to attach a containment dome over a leaking well on the seabed of the Gulf of Mexico, forcing them to move the dome aside while they find another method to cap the crude oil flowing into the Gulf since April 20.

Officials discovered that gas hydrates, ice-like crystals lighter than water, had built up inside the 100-ton metal container. The hydrates threatened to make the dome buoyant, and they also plugged up the top of the dome, preventing it from being effective.

How can they plug up the top of the dome and expect it to be effective?

Isn't the pressure of the oil leak too high to allow for capping?

Why don't they funnel the oil upwards and collect it in ships and barges? I assume its a matter of attaching at least 5,000 ft of pipping. How long would that take........give me a break!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
theres only one piece of evidence i need in order to 'know' that this situation is being mishandled/exploited for reasons that may not clear just yet: the man in charge is giving graduation speeches and performing various other perfunctory duties that pale in their importance compared to the possible total destruction of an ecosystem on an unbelievable scale and the decimation of a huge US regional economy.

lets make this abundantly clear: the 'commander in chief' isnt commanding diddly squat. I dont care if his presence would be nothing more than a constant pain in the ash....he should be shadowing the execs of BP every moment of the day until this epic cluster F is contained to a reasonable satisfaction. There is nothing else that is acceptable. Going around and performing general presidential 'duties' is totally irresponsible beyond comprehension. But, i digress....im not telling anyone anything they dont already know.

in consideration of the probable total annhilation of this part of the world everyone who has a livelihood that depends on the gulf should start making earnest plans and life changes to get the F out of dodge or be getting some serious employment cross training in other disciplines.

also, i admit that yet again this site is doing nothing but giving us a place to vent our frustration of a world and ppl that doesnt make any sense and also because we are basically powerless to do anything to change anything. There, i said it....we are impotent trash talkers. For all our good ideas and imagination nothing will come of it except perhaps the occasional feeling of self satisfaction of a properly worded and exceptionally vitriolic diatribe. I admit that is about the only satisfaction i get from the words im typing right now.

how does it feel to be essentially powerless to do anything as you stare in disbelief at total retards running the planet?

yes....i really cannot belief human beings can be this stupid.......unless of course theres a goal that justifies that apparent 'stupidity'.

but on to a couple ideas for the poor souls who make their living from the sea. Someone earlier mentioned harvesting eggs and other breeding mechanisms from the sea that could be used on shore or in facilities to grow or breed the things that before were fished from the gulf waters. Good idea of course....but infrastructure could be a real problem. However, i really cant think of any other way around this issue. Ppl are going to have to adapt hardcore and be imaginative in ways they never were before. If i was filthy rich i would be building inland fisheries and aquariums like no tomorrow.....

and by the way, speaking of the filthy rich.....did anyone else think it rather strange that not one single billionaire so far has stepped forward with any pledge of help to assist in the cleanup or assistance of this sick mess? Dont you think it would garner the utmost respect and adulation of the masses for someone like Bill Gates to step forward and say with a big grin "i pledge 10 billion dollars over the next year or so to help with the cleanup and rehabilitation of our precious gulf ecosystem...' ???? But no....that would make too much sense in a sane world.

keep the ideas coming.....since thats about all we CAN do right now.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Originally posted by discl0sur3
4:41 p.m. | Updated Officials for BP on Saturday encountered a significant setback in their efforts to attach a containment dome over a leaking well on the seabed of the Gulf of Mexico, forcing them to move the dome aside while they find another method to cap the crude oil flowing into the Gulf since April 20.

Officials discovered that gas hydrates, ice-like crystals lighter than water, had built up inside the 100-ton metal container. The hydrates threatened to make the dome buoyant, and they also plugged up the top of the dome, preventing it from being effective.

How can they plug up the top of the dome and expect it to be effective?

Isn't the pressure of the oil leak too high to allow for capping?

Why don't they funnel the oil upwards and collect it in ships and barges? I assume its a matter of attaching at least 5,000 ft of pipping. How long would that take........give me a break!

i thought the same thing dude. In fact, this was one of the first things i thought of. Deep sea dredge equipment....muther f ing huge hoses with weights attached to the ends ....sink those puppies down there, say 10 or 20 barges with those hoses connected to giant water pumps.....suck suck suck suck suck suck suck.......leave it to the geniuses to separate the gas/water/oil components out.......

i know that i know nothing about how gas expands as it warms and goes up towards the surface....there has to be a way to mitigate it.....maybe pipes that have blow out valves every 500 feet so as the gas expands it blows out the valves into the water around the pipes but the more solid liquid/oil stays inside the pipe and continues to be drawn up the hose/pipe to the surface.

anyway, i think there is a glaring and profound lack of imagination coming from the so called professionals about how to handle this.......

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EliyahuHaNave

Actually the correct figure is 170,000psi back -pressure; and as for hydrocarbon flash point or the flash point of the methane gas has no relevance as there is not enough oxygen at those depth to sustain the flash burn; hence you would get a quick flash implosion not explosion and one hell of a show on the surface but, it would be extinguished right away. I do on the other hand think that your idea of corkscrewing a bit into the rock pipe could work depending on material construction; something like a mixture of Molybdenum 86%, chromium 9%, and Tungsten 5.5%; which would handle the process of drilling in but would also withstand corrosion and malleable enough to seal the pipe head.

Just some thoughts.

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath

Originally posted by seasoul

That is something they've been talking about doing since this started, and they might be working on it, now, but they've said it will take 90 days for such a plan to even begin to be effective.

So drill more holes to relieve the oil pressure then cap them all off at once? Is that the plan? Why 90 days though......something ain't right!

This whole BP disaster is extremllllllllly fishy to say the least!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Why 90 days though......something ain't right!

Because it's very hard and takes a lot of time to drill two miles down into the Earth. Even more so when you are doing it from a platform that is floating another mile above that on the ocean. This is a very deep deposit of oil and very hard to get to. It's not just sitting right below the floor of the Gulf. We haven't even had the technology to do his kind of drilling for very long. All of this pushes the limits of what humans are currently capable of.

[edit on 5/9/2010 by LifeInDeath]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join