It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS! New York Times- Problem for Containment Dome in Gulf

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
i have a feeling BP caused this catastrophy on purpose thinking that dome was an easy fix. why? i really don't know, but this is fishy. just my opinion. now the real problem begin, this isn't what they expected and have no clue how to fix it.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by DOADOA]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The gulf of mexico is one of the best ocean gulfs . Its always nice . I just hope they will clean this up ..I mean the gulf is pure and it should always stay that way...pure and natural ..I love the fish there and there all nice

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I posted this on my facebook when the story first broke.

xxxxxx xxxxxx: www.cnn.com...

"Fortunately, our handsomest politicians came
up with a cheap, last-minute way to combat global warming. Ever
since 2063 we simply drop a giant ice cube into the ocean every now
and then." - Futurama

BP to try unprecedented engineering feat to stop oil spill
www.cnn.com

It sounds like a Hollywood movie. An impending disaster -- think the disabled spacecraft in "Apollo 13" or the asteroid hurtling toward Earth in "Armageddon" -- prompts a daring intervention by engineers to save the day.
May 4 at 8:58am · Comment · LikeUnlike · View Feedback (5)Hide Feedback (5) · Share

I know it's a pretty serious situation to poke fun at. However, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to point out the similarities of not being prepared.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by EliyahuHaNave
Wait, isn't that pipe like 5 feet in diameter? Holy crap! This has me completely stumped. It seems like they need a way to shift the tectonic plate in order to collapse the pipe and break its escape route.
How about this instead?

God help us all if they do try to shift the tectonic plate!!!
Maybe the last resort will be to detonate whether nuclear or not, but I don't have a good feeling about where this is all leading......

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
British Petroleum

The name says a thousand words.

The main thing it says is that our so called founding fathers never succeeded The King, Great Britain or England, whatever you wish to call it.

What you all fail to realize is that you are not free nor have you ever been, nor will you ever be. The USA is an extension of Great Britain and always has been. There was no declaration of independence... only a sort of freemason flim flam (PSYOPS) run by british agents that now serve the QUEEN of the United Kingdom (United States). Sorry freemasons out there...you are nothing but victims as well of the LIE. There was never a KING back then and never was. We all know who really runs the show in the palace. If momma ain't happy , ain't nobody happy. Goddess Lilith Liberty..Columbia is your god.

Now that you all are stuck with riding the goat into the abyss with no hope of escape,....

whatever knowledge you think you may have about history, science, religion, truth, medicine, health, finance, and technology is useless. Which concludes this with THE MAIN TRUTH and that is, whatever you think, say, or do is only falsities that perpetuate the LIE amongst yourselves and ensure certain enslavement forever.... Rebuttals rather than acceptance of these facts simply keep you locked in the lie, for you can do nothing until it is recognized.

Do we build for ever our houses,
and forever do we steal of properties?
Perhaps the brothers do divide their part for ever.
Perhaps the hate does divide for ever
Perhaps does the river always grow and make inundations.
Does the dragonfly leave its skin?
And its face can only see the face of the sun?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Perhaps that is just speculation is it not? The very few people here that actually do write emails to news agencies and companies get ignored or receive no credit. I just find it hard to believe that anyone actually deep down cares. If they did people would not selfishly be sitting behind a computer screen warning of doom and gloom keeping all their money to themselves stock piling food. This site is a haven for conspiracy theorists. EVERY piece of news here is subject to their evaluation and then unavoidable end of the world predictions. I have yet to see one prediction ever come true yet the stupidity carries on and as sad as this story is all people can do here is try to evaluate who really is behind this lol. No one really truly cares. Only those directly affected.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
if it's a simple fracture in the pipe, maybe they could place a specifically manufactured rare-earth (Neodymium) magnet around the breakpoint
on the pipe... a semi-circular ring magnet placed over the crack would
hold the oil in securely and indefinately.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by A Novel

I wouldn't say that nobody cares. It's just that there are few people who can actually make a huge difference in the situation.

I will give the people on ATS credit for being knowledgeable about current events. There is a good number of people who don't even know that this is going on. With roughly 5,000 barrels leaking a day there is not much we can do but be aware of the situation.

Besides people being aware, it's important that people go outside and watch movies like Iron Man 2/ have some fun with friends/ enjoy the day. If you can't go out and enjoy the world, regardless of the problems that are going on, is it really worth saving?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
There is a much simpler way to solve the problem but, BP will not go forward with the solution; due to cost, crude prices, and sheer ignorance. The solution is called "Geobacter Bacteria"; there are many different forms of Geobacter; some that eat the long chain hydrocarbons quickly excreting smaller branch chain hydrocarbons; and others that eat the small branch chain hydrocarbons and excrete carbon dioxide and water.

BP should have moved forward with the dispersant of the big guys to start the process; and then once they have the well caped off went forward with the dispersant of the smaller guys. Though the big Geobacter work quickly the smaller Geobacter take much longer to finish the job of elimination of the small chain hydrocarbons. This method has been scientifically proven to eliminate the harmful effects of hydrocarbon spills.

Geobacter can be cultured in large quantities fairly quickly and is easy to deploy in areas of crude spills; the important part is they do no harm to the environment and leave no toxins behind.

But, then this spill would not have its proper effect that BP and the "Power Elite" are trying to get out of this spill.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

You are correct in saying that BP caused this spill but, not for the reasons you are thinking they did. BP was in the process of placing sanctions against NK one week prior to this well malfunction; then just hours before the reported disaster; a NK sub was reported to be in the area; you do the math!

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by A Novel
Reply to post by discl0sur3

Come on... The only reason why any of you "out there" people seem to care is because it's a conspiracy in the making. That's what you guys get off on. It's never about the people that died, or the disaster to the environment. It's about the bad guys and how their out to get you and everyone else in the world. Instead of donating your money to a disaster you people come on this site, make posts advising people to stock up on supplies and food, and build a bunker or just sit back and watch the show.

It's never about the disaster with any of you just the conspiracy in the making...

Extremely harsh an unfounded.
How can you even begin to think that you know what individual motives are? You don't know myself or these people.

I'm not even going to justify your statement with an explanation.
If you would like to add something positive or constructive to this thread, feel free to do so...otherwise I would appreciate if you would go and rain on another parade.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by A Novel
Reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Perhaps that is just speculation is it not? The very few people here that actually do write emails to news agencies and companies get ignored or receive no credit. I just find it hard to believe that anyone actually deep down cares. If they did people would not selfishly be sitting behind a computer screen warning of doom and gloom keeping all their money to themselves stock piling food. This site is a haven for conspiracy theorists. EVERY piece of news here is subject to their evaluation and then unavoidable end of the world predictions. I have yet to see one prediction ever come true yet the stupidity carries on and as sad as this story is all people can do here is try to evaluate who really is behind this lol. No one really truly cares. Only those directly affected.

If NOBODY cares, then let you and I care. Let me start the ball rolling, sending as many emails as i can, and requesting my family, relatives and friends to do the same, on their own free will.

If that is not enough, as soon i finish with it, I will go to the docks and volunteer for free, taking upaid leave from my job, as long as they can give me a spot to bunk over night in shelther and 3 simple hots, to go onboard ships fighting the oil spill, with stockings of hair to soak up the oil spill.

You and I can make that difference. It's our homeworld. Let it begin with you and me....

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

If NOBODY cares, then let you and I care. Let me start the ball rolling, sending as many emails as i can, and requesting my family, relatives and friends to do the same, on their own free will.

If that is not enough, as soon i finish with it, I will go to the docks and volunteer for free, taking upaid leave from my job, as long as they can give me a spot to bunk over night in shelther and 3 simple hots, to go onboard ships fighting the oil spill, with stockings of hair to soak up the oil spill.

You and I can make that difference. It's our homeworld. Let it begin with you and me....

Thank you for that post! That is a brilliant idea!
I'm of the same belief system as yourself. We can ALL play a small part in helping to bring forth a solution to this catastrophe.

Collective intelligence is a powerful thing and adds up very quickly...first and foremost, we must bring awareness of this situation forward to the general public so they to can truly see the magnitude of this impending disaster.

So...Volunteer if you are able, donate your hair, send medical supplies and food...again, one person isn't going to make much of a difference but if we can get everyone on board, the possibilities are endless.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Just a little fact I found interesting when I read the Op article, it stated that 210000 gallons of oil have been leaking out from the pipes everyday ( if that's really the truth) so that got me curious on what type of ratio that would be ocean water to oil. Turns out there's about

346,049,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water in the all of the oceans.

The oil has been leaking for 20 days now.

210,000 gallons have been leaking out every day which equals a total of 4,200,000 gallons a day

Which means that the whole ocean is now 1.15% oil.

Now think about that number, it's for the whole ocean what percent do you think the Gulf of Mexico would be in itself, and if it could take up to 2 years to plug the leak what percent would it be then.

I know this fact doesn't scientifically correlate but think about it on the natural level. It only takes a blood alcohol level of around .4% to kill a human being. The ocean already has a level of 1.15% oil, and if you ask me the oceans are the blood of the earth screw with that and you're liable to shut down an organ or 2.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
You know what really gets me angry, is that so many people in the US are just saying "Oh, it's not OUR problem to figure out how to solve this mess. Let BP figure it out, or let the government figure it out."

C'mon. The people who have created the problem cannot be the ones to solve the problem.

And when has the government EVER done anything right?

We need Americans to come together, bypass the fools at BP who are "trying" to fix it (more likely, trying to recover the oil!) and just do it without them.

Here is my idea. I've already posted it in another thread, but I think the more we come together to try to fix it ourselves, the better we will be.

Ok, if you look at the diagrams, right now, there is a fitting on the well, which sticks out into the ocean, plus 5000 feet of twisted pipe that came down to the ocean floor when the rig sank.

The fittings on the well (the blow out preventer, BOP) is not working. They've tried to get it to work, but they can't.

Just cut the damn thing off, remove the fittings and the pipe from the ocean floor area, then place a giant manhole cover (a steel plate 2-3 feet thick, and a hundred feet in diameter), and just stop the flow with a giant manhole cover until they can finish drilling the relief well in 90 days - 2 years. Meanwhile, the flow will be stopped with the giant steel plate.

I think they could have done this long ago, except I think that they (BP) are more concerned with trying to figure out how to collect the oil, rather than how to stop the flow of the oil. They are worried more about cutting off their income! BPs priorities are NOT our priorities, at this point....we have to realize this!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigcountry08
Just a little fact I found interesting when I read the Op article, it stated that 210000 gallons of oil have been leaking out from the pipes everyday ( if that's really the truth) so that got me curious on what type of ratio that would be ocean water to oil. Turns out there's about

346,049,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water in the all of the oceans.

The oil has been leaking for 20 days now.

210,000 gallons have been leaking out every day which equals a total of 4,200,000 gallons a day

Which means that the whole ocean is now 1.15% oil.

Now think about that number, it's for the whole ocean what percent do you think the Gulf of Mexico would be in itself, and if it could take up to 2 years to plug the leak what percent would it be then.

I know this fact doesn't scientifically correlate but think about it on the natural level. It only takes a blood alcohol level of around .4% to kill a human being. The ocean already has a level of 1.15% oil, and if you ask me the oceans are the blood of the earth screw with that and you're liable to shut down an organ or 2.

That is a very good point, I'll figure out the math in a later post but I thought it was valid to mention that it only takes 1 liter of oil to contaminate 250,000 liters of seawater rendering it toxic to marine life.
Some quick math tells us that at the the current estimate there has been approximately 14,307,300 liters of oil pumped into the Gulf thus far. That's 3,576,825,000,000 liters of seawater or 945,000,000,000 gallons toxic so far. All this after only 18 days!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bigcountry08

It really is scary. Lets pray that a category five hurricane doesn't come through the gulf and throw all of that oil into the lakes and rivers of the US and Mexico. If the government is in contact with ET's, now would be the time to ask for help.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Collective intelligence is a powerful thing and adds up very quickly...first and foremost, we must bring awareness of this situation forward to the general public so they to can truly see the magnitude of this impending disaster.

So...Volunteer if you are able, donate your hair, send medical supplies and food...again, one person isn't going to make much of a difference but if we can get everyone on board, the possibilities are endless.

That's exactly what I am waiting to do. Right now, I'm in Arizona, but as soon as that oil starts to make landfall, I'm headed down that way to volunteer in any way I can. I'll cut off my hair and stuff it into an old pair of pantyhose. I'll wash birds and any other animals that need help. And if I get approached by someone who tells me I'm not qualified to do the work I'm doing, I'll ignore them.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Here is a serious question:

Where do we send hair clippings to in order to help out the cleanup effort? I am currently trying to get a small group of people together in my hometown to go around to the local hair salons and barbershops to collect all the hair clippings and send them down to the gulf. Does anybody know how to donate them or send them there?

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
You know what really gets me angry, is that so many people in the US are just saying "Oh, it's not OUR problem to figure out how to solve this mess. Let BP figure it out, or let the government figure it out."

C'mon. The people who have created the problem cannot be the ones to solve the problem.

And when has the government EVER done anything right?

We need Americans to come together, bypass the fools at BP who are "trying" to fix it (more likely, trying to recover the oil!) and just do it without them.

Here is my idea. I've already posted it in another thread, but I think the more we come together to try to fix it ourselves, the better we will be.

Ok, if you look at the diagrams, right now, there is a fitting on the well, which sticks out into the ocean, plus 5000 feet of twisted pipe that came down to the ocean floor when the rig sank.

The fittings on the well (the blow out preventer, BOP) is not working. They've tried to get it to work, but they can't.

Just cut the damn thing off, remove the fittings and the pipe from the ocean floor area, then place a giant manhole cover (a steel plate 2-3 feet thick, and a hundred feet in diameter), and just stop the flow with a giant manhole cover until they can finish drilling the relief well in 90 days - 2 years. Meanwhile, the flow will be stopped with the giant steel plate.

I think they could have done this long ago, except I think that they (BP) are more concerned with trying to figure out how to collect the oil, rather than how to stop the flow of the oil. They are worried more about cutting off their income! BPs priorities are NOT our priorities, at this point....we have to realize this!

That sounds like a great idea but I think the pressure may be an issue. This thing is spiking at 170,000psi. Trying to contain that kind of pressure may destabilize the surrounding sediment and/or crack the pipe casing.
This of course is my opinion and I'm by no means a professional.
I would present your idea to FEMA, I think they can use all the help they can get at this point.

Thanks for your post!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join