It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS! New York Times- Problem for Containment Dome in Gulf

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nomad451

Originally posted by Z.S.P.V.G.
reply to post by bakadesu

You are so right. On saturday 90% of the sheeple are boozing it up and going to Target/WalMart/IronMan2.

What's wrong with Iron Man 2?

It rocked my jocks

Not appropriate in this thread....this matter is VERY SERIOUS!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I'm not overly religious, but this just sticks out like a sore thumb...

Revelation 8:8-11 (New King James Version)

Second Trumpet: The Seas Struck

8 Then the second angel sounded: And something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea, and a third of the sea became blood. 9 And a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

Has anyone seen the pictures of the oil spill? What color is it? What does it look like to you? Don't know what to make of it, but I'm becoming more and more a man of faith!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Here is the opinion from an industry Vet that provides for some sobering reading:

Few people are more apocalyptic than Matt Simmons, retired chairman of the energy investment banking firm Simmons & Co. International, and a veteran of 41 years in the industry. Simmons, who will speak at the Offshore Technology Conference in Houston this week, has been famous in recent years for warning that the industry is running out of oil. Now he sees a disaster on an epic scale as the pressurized subterranean reservoir known as the Macondo field, estimated to hold 50 million barrels of oil, continues to vent into the gulf. "It really is a catastrophe," Simmons said. "I don't think they're going to be able to put the leak out until the reservoir depletes. It's just too technically challenging."

Linkage

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
I'm not overly religious, but this just sticks out like a sore thumb...

Revelation 8:8-11 (New King James Version)

Second Trumpet: The Seas Struck

8 Then the second angel sounded: And something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea, and a third of the sea became blood. 9 And a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

Has anyone seen the pictures of the oil spill? What color is it? What does it look like to you? Don't know what to make of it, but I'm becoming more and more a man of faith!

Holy #! That is really scary...I'm not religious either but that is one hell of a coincidence.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

As an Agnostic, even I thought of that when I saw the pictures. It is unavoidable for anyone who has been exposed to a bible.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I think this is actually a pressure problem. I know here in Alaska, they inject sea water into the deposit to pressurize it. Also the water displaces the oil, letting them suck it all out. Now, if water is also infiltrating the field, then it will eventually displace all of the oil. Also, was the field being pressurized when this happened, to me it seems like it was.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
Everyone I speak to says I am exaggerating the severity of this disaster. I can understand why they think that because there is little or no attention on it any more and estimates are still on the low end of 5000 barrels. I am informed because I come here and read all the articles posted on here on the subject and then some.

The reason they are giving for the Dome not working may not even be the real reason, either. The reason it isn't working is because the chasm the oil is pouring from is just too big for containment. Why else do you think they are stating that it will take two years to permanently fix it? They are telling so many lies, they have lost track already.

You have successfully contradicted yourself in two short paragraphs. GET IT TOGETHER MAN!!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by discl0sur3

Originally posted by Nomad451

reply to post by bakadesu

You are so right. On saturday 90% of the sheeple are boozing it up and going to Target/WalMart/IronMan2.

What's wrong with Iron Man 2?

Well, there you go.... Bread and Circus just like Caesar said.

Yes, this is EPIC in it's scope. I have created 4 threads about it. but people will need to keep some humor b/c it's gonna get ugly. I suspect Pres Obama will be going on primetime soon enough to tell the american people some sobering news....

AND... if this is biblical.....????.... we know where it ends. Get right with yourself and the Divine. tell people you love them. be happy. smile. pray. chant the divine names. hug your cats. play with your dog. read to your children. make love to your partner. turn off the TV. get off ATS
get on your knees and forgive yourself. then stand like a warrior and face destiny!!!

It rocked my jocks

Not appropriate in this thread....this matter is VERY SERIOUS!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Everyone I speak to says I am exaggerating the severity of this disaster. I can understand why they think that because there is little or no attention on it any more and estimates are still on the low end of 5000 barrels. I am informed because I come here and read all the articles posted on here on the subject and then some.

The reason they are giving for the Dome not working may not even be the real reason, either. The reason it isn't working is because the chasm the oil is pouring from is just too big for containment. Why else do you think they are stating that it will take two years to permanently fix it? They are telling so many lies, they have lost track already.

You have successfully contradicted yourself in two short paragraphs. GET IT TOGETHER MAN!!

No need to shout, I'm right here.
What I mean is this: Most of the media are using the low estimate of 5000 barrels but if you dig deeper you will find a lot of people in the know coming forward that paint a much more dire picture. No contradiction in that.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

You're right, here's an example.

On Monday, a senior BP official told members of Congress that the well could conceivably spill as much as 60,000 barrels of oil a day, more than 10 times the estimate of the current flow. Here's a link to it.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I personally believe the actual number is even higher than 60,000...perhaps MUCH higher but they won't tell us that.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EliyahuHaNave
Has anyone heard what I said? There is still oil on the beach because of EXXON up here in Alaska! This problem will be here for a long time, and the longer it is allowed to go on, the more area it will inhabit, for a long time!

Listen to this post! I just watched a documentary on this last week. The fishermen from Alaska clean up more oil than Exxon did! They were even out there in there boats skiming the water with 5 gallon buckets cleaning up the oil, anything to get rid of it.

To this day the fish have not recovered! The shores look clean but when they dug down a few inches there was oil just sitting there still. They have no way of knowing when this will recover, if ever!!

Do you really think BP will clean it all up???? Exxon never did and forget about being compensated for any loss. Not that money would make a difference....when we are dead and gone the land and wildlife will still be dealing with this spill.

cheers

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I don't think anyone knows how much is being poured out of the leaks (there are multiple ones right?), or they're not willing to say.

For instance, I was reading this article and noticed a contradiction in how much crude has been poured into the Gulf.

Exhibit A:

More than 200,000 gallons of crude have spewed into the Gulf since a rig exploded April 20, killing 11. The containment box, a method never before attempted at such depths, had been considered the best hope of stanching the flow in the short term.

Exhibit B:

While the precise cause is still under investigation, the sequence of events described in the interviews provides the most detailed account of the April 20 blast that killed 11 workers and touched off the underwater gusher that has poured more than 3 million gallons of crude into the Gulf.

Source

Am I just reading this wrong?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The reason this isn't in the media is because it's blacked out. That should be obvious. When an issue becomes a matter of national security, it gets controlled by the state. Seeing as this has happened, people should be more concerned about this. Aparently the fluoride, aspartame, and alpha waves coming from the tube has truly brainwashed the people into forgetting about this in what, 24-48 hours?! Even on ATS, the topic has been pretty silent since the news started to just drip out instead of pour. That's some freaky stuff to think that these millions of people are so easily controlled in thought.

reply to post by HymnsofNight

Yeah, I thnk you're taking the figures the wrong way. One is stating how much comes out each day. The other is saying how much has come out to date (accumulative). I don't think there's a contradiction there.

I think it's sort of common sense to take whatever figure they're giving us, and at the very least, double it. It could be 100 times as much for all we know. Really nothing we can do to figure that one out, unless we know someone high up on the inside.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Linkage

From that article:

No one is sure how much oil is leaking. The Coast Guard initially said there was no leak, then said there was a leak of 1,000 barrels a day, then upped the estimate to 5,000 barrels. On Tuesday, BP officials put the worst-case scenario at 60,000 barrels a day.

Oy! Am I the only one that missed that last little bit in earlier reports? That's the first I heard of that, possibly 60,000 barrels a day??!! That's 2.5 million gallons!! This keeps making me more and more depressed.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
So what is the consensus? Are we farked, or is there still something that can be done? I'm still serious. We need engineers and physics people, and anybody that has any experience with piping. Shoot, get a good plumber on here. We need to start voicing our opinions and solutions now. If they aren't going to do anything about it, we're going to have to take it into our own hands.

This is our planet and I'll be damned if I let some money grubbing CEO Ape destroy it for a net gain in profits.

As far as Revelations, yeah, I had to go back and check my Bible tonight. I'm not a Christian, and I never will be again, but gosh, that just screams OIL SPILL DISASTER. Well, whatever. It also says that "the meek shall inherit the Earth." Those of us in the know must be the meek.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Just fill up bulk carrier vessels with crushed rock and bury the sucker under a mountain of dirt.

If it blows through the pile, set off a ring of annular charges and seal it off. Then dump more bukuloads of aggregate.

Just pile it on.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

The only thing that's entered my mind is finding a chemist to come up with a chemical that bonds with oil, hardening it to act as a sealant for the leak. It sounds like a good idea...except there's tens of thousands of psi there, and it'll probably never have a chance...my dad's a master plumber. I'll ask him to think about it. Maybe he can save the earth's inhabitants!!
Well, at this point it's worth a shot.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Wait, isn't that pipe like 5 feet in diameter? Holy crap! This has me completely stumped. It seems like they need a way to shift the tectonic plate in order to collapse the pipe and break its escape route.
How about this instead?
They stick a hose in the well, that can inject refrigerated seawater into it, thereby causing the hydrate to crystallize and block off the oils only escape route?
It already worked in the dome right? This could work!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
If you want my best guess, they are going to find that nothing works, and they are going to have to blow it one way or another. I bet you someone is going to start talking nuclear in order to crumble the well enough to stop it. And I think someone already has....didn't a Senator suggest that we blow it with a nuclear bomb?

It's frightening, but I would give it about a 30% chance of actually happening that way.

As far as the "frozen seawater" thing....well, I think the PSI is strong enough where it would end up blowing the whole well cap right off the foundation. I like the one poster's idea of dumping a few hundred thousand tons of bedrock on top of the farker and then using controlled detonations (C4?) to close it up for good.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join