It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats Happened To ATS Members?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
First off, if this is in the wrong thread, please move. I couldnt quite find the adequate thread.

Ok so here goes. I joined ATS at the beginning of the year. I joined because one day i was searching the net and ATS came up in a lot of searches about things such as UFO's, Swine Flu and so on. I lurked around for a while (about 2 months), browsing the pages of information and reading up on some very very very good threads. These threads, some in particular were extremely captivating and persuading to say the least. Although there are threads that are still like this, they are rarer and rarer with every passing day.

Through reading the threads that caught my eye, i grasped the general opinion from the majority of members that they are all keen on getting to the bottom of the conspiracy, or at least to debunk it adequately.

Since i officially joined there has been a huge increase in negativity in ATS, maybe i never noticed it before because i was a 'Newbie', however, i cannot but see nearly every single thread that has been posted recently is 50% arguments and disrespect towards fellow members. We are all aware that people have opinions, whether they are backed up or not is another story but we still have an opinion. There seems to be a general attitude of 'i'm better than you because i believe a certain thing or i act a certain way'. Its quite disheartening to see this kind of thing go on because the ATS that i joined is slowly disappearing.

I was under the impression that this was a conspiracy site where we worked together to unscramble the mess that TPTB have created. Thats not really what it is now, its more a site for prophets, wannabe scientists and people that think they have far greater morals than others.

I know that things are a bit of a mess in this world just now, and maybe thats a contributing factor, maybe too many people are stressed of late and tempers through opinions are growing a bit wild but i would like to see the ATS that was return.

I dont mean any disresect to other members on this site as everyone is entitled to post threads on just about anything and thats great but i'm slightly concerned that there are too many random threads that are not helping promote ATS as the site that it is.

I dont know what others think about this topic but i'm sure there are a few others out there who agree because i've seen so many posts on it. I dont know if there are new members that are purposely trying to upset the balance and progression of the members/topics on this site or if its all a coincidence but i feel like there are far more mis-informers on ATS than i previously thought.

Please dont turn this thread into another arguing thread as there are plently of them going about.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
"The Man" got to them!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
ATS has always had members that are simply afraid of everything in the world so they make a conspiracy out of it. Now there are threads promoting racism and they get 50+ flags and starts. Now THAT is scary.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by QuetzalcoatlAlien

I know its very frightening but it jsut seems like there is an increase in all the negativity that can be created. The fear-mongering seems to be out of control.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Go see some of my threads about chemtrails.

Its such a no no to talk about here for some reason with a few select members. Its surprising when alot here believe in reptilian shape shifters ruling our world...

Closed minded people seem to love it here for some reason. Odd, or just more disinfo BS.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Were burnt out from all the negativity

and well... just burnt out.

sometimes members move on to bigger and better things, some took a vacation because of all the bashing.

cant blame them.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The problem is communication technologies. No face to face talk is breeding ground for all sorts of cowardliness. I notice there were people who made me out as better than them, though I never mentioned being better than anyone. But since they want to say that I will not not accept it. For it is an honor being called better than someone by someone else. I'm a guy with self-realization and self-identification, and people get upset at that. Then there are disinfo agents that follow certain posters around with the same ol same ol.

My advice to you is use the ignore feature. People's hearts have waxed gross thanks to communication technologies.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
reply to post by QuetzalcoatlAlien

I know its very frightening but it jsut seems like there is an increase in all the negativity that can be created. The fear-mongering seems to be out of control.

it's because we have a black democratic president, and a democratic congress...the right is simply crapping all over themselves with fear.
it was the same when clinton was in office.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

jrmcleod,

You need to understand that there are many areas and topics in discussion here at ATS. What you may describe as negativity is merely people 'arguing' about their beliefs. We do that here, what we don't tolerate is rudeness and personal attacks!

If you have experienced that, contact a Mod (U2U) and have a discussion with them. They are the most respectful people on the net, and they will listen to you.

Don't be intimidated by others. Share you feelings, ideas, experiences, and thoughts to us all - in a respectful manner, and I'm sure you will have a GREAT time here. Remember, we agree to disagree - that's not being Negative, that's our freedom here on ATS!

ENJOY

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

I understand that and i appreciate your advise. I know there are alot of differing beliefs and its that differing beliefs that makes ATS and US all unique. My issues are that because we post over the internet and like another poster above said, there is no face to face contact so 98% of the communication is missing.

For example.

There was a thread about the BNP (British National Party) that was an interesting read. I felt i had to post because certain members were being called racist because they agreed with some of the patrys opinions. Now i'm not one for ever calling anyone racist, or really anything for that matter but when someone agrees with something that make (as a whole seem racist) they shouldnt be discriminated like that. I support some BNP aspects but i am very very far from racist. This is the negativity that i am talking about. Because you are seemlingly associated with the BNP and their opinions does it make you a racist? The same could apply to all those Americans who voted for bush to come into power, does you associating yourself with Bush make you a murderer? No it doesnt, so why are people so ready to put a tag on others that is just simply rude, and can be quite hurtful depending on your life experiences.

It only makes sense for people to remain on topic and not be distracted by the slect few who crave on the negativity.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Who the hell do you think you are? I totally disagree with you, ATS members are always super respectful, you're nothing but a dis-info agent. sheeple scum.

yeah, you're right, there's an awful lot of aggression at the moment, but then there's an awful lot to be angry about. hopefully it all works out to be somehow constructive.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Ok first 2 line there totally had me, i actually thought i'd disrespected you with my post!

Yeah, i surely hope so because its an awful lot of brain power going to waste, not to mention server space!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I see your point. You don't know me, I'm a South African living in Canada. I've been called a "camel humper" (Camels in SA?! - LOL!!) and various other names - not here on ATS, but here in Canada! I take no offense to this. You know why? People are ignorant.

If I'm going to be so sensitive and don't understand their ignorance, then I would have an issue. But I don't, and so should you. ATS is a worldwide community, and that means there will be differences... We must be tolerant.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Goethe

Its not a topic i've really paid much attention too in the past, however, i am curious as to why its such a no-no. Like you say, we talk about Death Stars, 57 races of Alien and all other less likely situations, so why are chem-trails such a touchy subject between members?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Indeed but because we are a world wide community and there are some very sensitive people here who could very well contribute to discoveries through this site that can be easily scared off because of negativity and too harsh criticism. Like you say we should definately be more tolerant but we should also maybe be a bit more compassionate since we dont know who the other person typing is all about.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more!
You may have just come across some rude posters. Don't take it to heart. The majority of us are respectful. Those who aren't, ignore them. As you said they are on the other side of a keyboard, so who cares? Chin up, enjoy ATS - it's a GREAT community!

Edit to add: Who's your pick for the world cup 2010 winner?

[edit on 8-5-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuetzalcoatlAlien
ATS has always had members that are simply afraid of everything in the world so they make a conspiracy out of it.

You're funny! This is a conspiracy site. Sometimes it is over the top, but people should feel comfortable discussing anything they want to!

Now there are threads promoting racism and they get 50+ flags and starts. Now THAT is scary.

Racism is not supported by this site, it's against the T&C. Are you referring to threads that deal with immigration issues? Because if you are, and you see threads that support racism, you need to hit the alert button. That is what it is there for. Don't be afraid of it!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I wouldn't say It's increased just since January, it's been on the rise for a while now man.... I'm not sure that what's being said is worse than it was a year or two ago though, not worse in content but perhaps worse in the amount.
There used to be more Anti-everything threads a while ago than there are now, although there still are and the number of bigoted, racist and just plain nasty people does seem to have increased too.

It is a real issue and plenty of people have left because you just can't have a decent discussion on here any more without it descending it a slanging match or people just blatantly saying hateful and spiteful things about people, groups, sections of society or whatever.

Unfortunately when you become more popular, as is ATS' main goal, a sense of community and spirit disappears and the whole "working together to uncover the truth and stick it to the man" element has long since left this place....

You also get the plants and shills from whatever groups just here to cause trouble and division and stir up hatred and trouble.

It's now like some weird, futuristic cyberpunk-esque landscape where gangs of raving lunatics roam around and just shout down everyone they don't agree with and poison what decent threads we do have left... and stifle any real discussions by blaming everything on Muslims or Liberals or whatever it may be...

So many people have contemplated leaving recently and it is a shame, but there's not really a lot the owners or staff can do.... so long as it's not against T's & C's then it's ok...

Hopefully it's just another "rut" or "slump" as people always say they are, but I think most of the members who have left and most of those I've received U2U's from about leaving and those that have even made threads about leaving, see it as more than a Slump or rut.... this is a serious problem and I'm not sure there is a solution.

[edit on 8/5/10 by blupblup]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Every message board as popular as this inevitably attracts people who can't see past the ends of their noses, and end up ruining things somewhat for the rest of us. As I haven't been here long, I haven't been the subject of close mindedness yet, but when it comes I will note what isn't an insult, ignore the actual insult and move on. Debate when it doesn't involve personal attacks is a phenomenal outlet for creativity and we shouldn't let naysayers disrespect and dismantle that.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Whos my pick for the world cup winner? Hmmm would probably have to go with Spain.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join