It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Have Teen Girl, This is a Must Read.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
A doctor who is trying to sell a new book, a book that would sell more with sensationalist ideas than with logic and facts.

What logic and facts? I've provided his. Where are the others?

Btw, what's wrong selling a book?

I mean, what would you rather read:

"Why the E-culture is killing your child"

"Why nothing has ever changed, and we need to stop panicking."

Read between the lines, look at the reasons behind the reasons.

Depends on who wrote it. A qualified practitioner or someone's mere opinion.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Selling a product has everything to do with it. You sensationalize and promote your book about how everything is wrong, and you go on to participate in an interview stating such. The article hardly has anything substantial to back it, it's just him talking as we are talking. If he didn't take the time to provide his facts, I'm not going to waste my time in doing so.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

If he didn't take the time to provide his facts, I'm not going to waste my time in doing so.

His facts in the article are well documented. Now will you stop wasting OUR time and provide your "facts"?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Maybe I am just ignorant but I honestly can't comprehend how someone could choose suicide as a solution

Like if you never died and lived forever, barring accidents, then maybe I could understand one day being like yah I've had enough

As long as you know that you have an expiry date might as well go along for the ride.

There is no recollection once you die, it won't matter the effect you leave on people by killing yourself, you have no made any points. You will not effect change by removing yourself from the situation.

Life is a gift

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Have you seen that Elvis feller shakin it on the tee vee? Obscene. Work of the Devil Himself.

Did you know that all of this new new fangled "rock and roll" music these kids are listening to these days is based on negro music?

Do you know what goes on in the balconies of movie theaters? Is your daughter a known 'balcony girl'?

Gangs of youthful hoodlums now terrorize peaceful suburbs that their parents worked so hard to provide for them. They recruit in the suburbs. Beware of boys wearing leather jackets and greased "jelly roll" or "duck tail" hair styles.

Is the Bee Hive hairdo popular at your local schools? The mark of the hoodlum female, they are rumored to hide knives and zip guns up there.

Hear about that Robert Mitchum feller smoking the funny cigarettes? Beware. This lethal narcotic is trafficked by the motorcyle boys and may be hidden in the females bee hive hairdo.

Parents! Beware of these and other dangerous new trends! Your child could be the NEXT victim!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

i don't have a teen daughter only being 20 myself or children myself , however i do have a 17yr old girlfriend who is always telling me she is fat and isn't pretty and so on. and i often find marks on her arms and she tells me how she has cut herself. i notice how she always compares herself to the other smaller girls and always gets upset about it. she never listens to me when i say i love her and praise her she always thinks i'm going to leave her for one of those other girl. it saddens me that she and many girls like her get depressed and pushed out of this "normal" social scene. a scene created by many american tv shows flashy films and suggestive songs that frankly sicken me. seeing all these girls dressed like for want of a better word "whores" because this is what they are being told is the norm and this is what not only "boys" want but society as a whole seems to want.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Woah, woah there now Intrepid, remember:

If you don't have something nice to say

I would say that the suicide rates trend in the last 20 years would indicate whether the effects of bullying and schooling/ peer pressure have a greater effect on boys or girls, right?

Well according to the CDC, you know, the people with those things called "facts" or whatever, since 1990 to 2004 we have this:

Incidents of suicide average per 100,000 people (round

Male (15-19 yrs old) ---- 15.08
Female (15-19 yrs old)-- 3.17

In fact, in the last 15 years, very little has changed. the highest variable of change was - 6.56 incidents per 100,000 from the year 1990 to 2003 (You know, that time period where the internet and all that cyber bullying started.) And that was on the male side. the girls have had a consistently low rate, and in both cases, neither gender dipped too far from their average.

So if that's any indication, since 1990 to today, things have been effectively the same. But who knows, I mean, these numbers are just from the Center from Disease Control, and not from a esteemed writer who has books to sell.

Reference: CDC statistics on suicide rates (1990 - 2004)

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Also while we are on the subject.

The study, funded by the U.S. Department of Justice, found that the percentage of children who reported being physically bullied over the past year had declined from nearly 22 percent in 2003 to under 15 percent in 2008. The percentage reporting they’d been assaulted by other youths, including their siblings, dropped from 45 percent to 38.4 percent.

Study reveals decrease in bullying

Furthermore, according to that Bureau of Justice, and neatly compiled here by the University of Virginia: Youth Violence Project: National Statistics

Rate Per 1,000 Students Ages 12-18 Contrary to public perception, violent crime in schools has declined dramatically since 1994. The annual rate of serious violent crime in 2007 (40 per 1,000 students)was less than half of the rate in 1994. These data are victim reports collected as part of the National Crime Victimization Survey and are not derived from school records.

Serious Violent Crime in US Schools

The dramatic decline in juvenile homicides (and other juvenile violent crime) in the 1990s demonstrates that the observed decline in school violence is part of a larger national trend. This decline cannot be attributed to a decline in the juvenile population because the juvenile population increased. There are likely multiple factors responsible for the drop, including declining violence associated with drug gangs, effective community-oriented law enforcement efforts, as well as numerous school and community-based efforts to prevent violence. was less than half of the rate in 1994.

Incidents of Juvenile violence in Schools

Percentage of Students Who Feel Afraid at School or on the Way to School, By Ethnicity
Students feel safer in school, and incidents in school have decreased dramatically.

The "Doctor" that your article is about has a reason to lie, fabricate and exaggerate: He is a sensationalist book seller who wants money. Deny Ignorance my friend. If not for yourself for our children, won't you please thing of our children?!

[edit on 5-10-2010 by WolfofWar. Just tidying up ]

[edit on 5-10-2010 by WolfofWar]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Percentage of Students Who Feel Afraid at School or on the Way to School, By Ethnicity
Students feel safer in school, and incidents in school have decreased dramatically.

That's right because schools have been clamping down on harassment. This issue is pointing to a new type of bullying. One that's pervasive.

Btw, your info in the previous post was about "suicide rates." That's not the topic. Still waiting on the "facts" that times are the same, not as if it's the topic but as you pointed out with the above, things are indeed changing.

[edit on 5-10-2010 by WolfofWar. Just tidying up ]

[edit on 5-10-2010 by WolfofWar]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Suicide is what it is all about, because there has been no change. If bullying has gotten worse and more pervasive, as you and your sensationalist book buddy claims, we would have seen a spike in suicide rates, after all, according to most studies, bullying is the most common reason for teen suicide.

Given that, if as the article claims it has become more pervasive with cyberbullying and all that new peer-pressure fear-like junk, you'd think you would see an increase in suicide, especially among girls, who, are you know, "so frail and weak-minded" right?

But you don't. Teen girls continue to have the lowest suicide rate compared to boys the same age. The average has stayed the same, despite the alleged dangers that have "emerged" due to technology.

No, I have presented my evidence, you choose to ignore it. That's your choice intrepid, you want to believe that all is woe in the world, be my guest. I provided the proof that the goon doctor was wrong, and is just sensationalizing.

Bullying is down. Crime and violence in schools is down. Suicide rates remain the same as ever. There is no difference now then 15 years ago, or 20 years ago, besides schools are now safer and bullying lessened. Ever with that, kids still off themselves and get emotional distress, and get anorexia and insecurities. Why? because it's all internal. Kids do it to themselves, not the world around them. Stop blaming the world, start parenting better.

And next time you post to respond to me, cite YOUR sources, because your original source is bunk.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

I agree with Wolf. The data supports the inescapable fact that statistically physical bullying is on the decline. Though online bullying may be more pervasive...

Those kids need to shut up and press the block/ignore button. Or learn to defend themselves by countering with intelligent statements (as the interner is non-physical, it gives these crybabies an opportunity to express themselves with language) [See: IRC]

The media hype over bullying is a charade at social engineering. To over a hype a non-existant issue really as a ploy to change social mentality to accept legislation to make insulting people or being rude illegal.

Just like the UK. Yay 1st amendment :]

Don't like it? Being bullied at school? PRESS CHARGES.
Don't like it? Being bullied online? PRESS THE BLOCK BUTTON.

problem solved.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Q: Cutting, self-harm, does seem pathological. How prevalent is it?
A: It used to be very rare, less than one per cent of kids in a community would do this. In a 2008 study from the Yale school of medicine where they talked to girls 10 to 14 years of age, 36 per cent said they had in the past year cut themselves with razors or burned themselves with matches. In a very well-executed study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal two years ago, a demographically representative sample of young people 14 to 21 years of age was surveyed in Victoria, and there was an overall prevalence of roughly 16 per cent. Although in the abstract there’s no mention of sex differences, if you pull up the tables you see that only eight per cent of boys but 24 per cent of girls were cutting or burning themselves.

Q: Do boys and girls cut for the same reasons?
A: The way to answer that is to talk about who is doing this. It’s a small subset of boys, and they are, bluntly, the boys who have no friends, who are ostracized. The guy who’s captain of the hockey team, who’s popular, is not secretly cutting himself with razor blades. But the girl who’s very popular, captain of the basketball team and doing well in school, is as likely—maybe even more likely—than the average girl to be cutting.

Q: Why would successful girls do this?
A: Because they haven’t been living, they’ve been performing. The girls themselves tell you, “I cut myself because it’s real, it’s not fake.” It’s not a cry for help: most girls don’t want adults knowing they’re cutting, which is why they cut in places we won’t see, like high up on the inner thigh. And they don’t want to kill themselves. There’s research which is quite astonishing to many people: when girls cut themselves, they are getting a release of endogenous opiates—they’re actually getting high.

That is unless you have a problem with the Yale School of Medicine and the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

You post from the same article? The same bunk one? Girls cut themselves, just as they have back then. If the external factors have changed, and the effects remain the same (which they have) then the factors that are causing it are internal.

Boys and girls have a crazy influx of emotions, hormones, and insecurity issues. We got to stop blaming it on whatever is new in society and start focusing on good parenting.

Still waiting for those other sources that backs up this quacks claims though. Maybe when his next sensationalist book comes out you'll cite that?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have to agree with wolf.

I have only recently left high school and bullying is way down. Mostly because there are so many groups now that it is impossible not to fit into one.

It is no longer cool kids vs losers.

Its the goths, the jocks, the rockers, the guidos, etc. you can't get singled out if you fall into a group.

More groups, less people singled out, less bullying.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

No, If you won't accept the Yale School of Medicine as a source I'm not wasting my time further. The reader will see.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? I'm not being insulting just looking at your life experience.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

People cutting themselves is their issue. A secondary issue. Not an immediate consequence of bullying.

The bullys are not doing the physical harm, people are doing it to themselves. There's probably another study that links that to oh idk...

emotional imbalances?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mryanbrown

People cutting themselves is their issue. A secondary issue. Not an immediate consequence of bullying.

The bullys are not doing the physical harm, people are doing it to themselves.

That's exactly what the source says. I don't know how we got on the bullying factor. They do it because "it feels real". It's all in the source.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mryanbrown

I agree with Wolf. The data supports the inescapable fact that statistically physical bullying is on the decline. Though online bullying may be more pervasive...

Those kids need to shut up and press the block/ignore button. Or learn to defend themselves by countering with intelligent statements (as the interner is non-physical, it gives these crybabies an opportunity to express themselves with language) [See: IRC]

The media hype over bullying is a charade at social engineering. To over a hype a non-existant issue really as a ploy to change social mentality to accept legislation to make insulting people or being rude illegal.

Just like the UK. Yay 1st amendment :]

Don't like it? Being bullied at school? PRESS CHARGES.
Don't like it? Being bullied online? PRESS THE BLOCK BUTTON.

problem solved.

the problem is that those bullies then make new accounts and posits in bullying i had a friend who committed suicide due to bullying at both school and home. the point is most of these sites don't have good enough systems in place to defend those in harms way. my girlfriend gets bullied on fcebook and text from her ex boyfriend but none was willing to do anything about it. i eventually went on her facebook and flamed this guy until all his friends(who were girls around the age of 13-17 he is 20) deleted him and he deleted my gf from his page. i have had confrontations with him on numerous occasions but he doesn't seem to get it. the next time i will take him down all his friends are sick of him and the way he acts and yet still he thinks he is still good he is in the right and she is in the wrong. bullying is real i haven't gone to collage for about 4 years now to avoid it myself.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by crimson tears shini

See your the reason bullying happens. You know this guy in real life yet you resort to "flaming" on face book to prove a point.

Stop bullying by confronting the source not by exchanging words.

Hes harassing your girlfriend and yet you have yet to punch him in the face.

This is what i mean when i say America has gone to hell.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimson tears shini
the point is most of these sites don't have good enough systems in place to defend those in harms way.

It's not their responsibility to protect you. They provide you the tools necessary to protect yourself. They created a new account? Block it.

I can't believe I have to ask these questions...

1. Have you notified the police? (it is harassment after all, remember the law exists even online) (The police can subpoena the providers and ISPs to get account holder info to press charges if you are unable to provide it)

2. Have you filed for a restraining order?

There are methods of recourse available to you, if you act like an adult and utilize them.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join