It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Have Teen Girl, This is a Must Read.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Reflecting on my post...I thought I sounded a bit big headed...which I apologise for. What I find that the reason many of us fall into that trap is because we want to "fit in with the cool crowd." The pressure from not only them but family adds to it. For example being unable to do something just makes a person want to pursue it. Sometimes its just to break free and not be pressurised to continually do what parents want you to do i.e study and othertimes its wanting to prove your capable of meeting a challenge. I remember i was being pushed into smoking which i refused and that automatically made me "uncool" and so I strived refusely by dressing like them..and by the end I found out that I shouldn't bother, being true to myself is one of the major aims in life I believe I have accomplished.
I hope everyone goes through that stage

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well, what do you expect? I mean seriously?

For starters, ever watch MTv? It's not the good old MTv we had in the 80's with the Cindy Lauper and Mic Jagger... It's full of skinny skanks as role models for todays girls, gangster rappers rapping about drugs, killing and sex who our young boys listen to.

If I had the power, MTv would be gone. (Except for highly educational shows such as, "Jackass" or "Viva La Bam"...
)

But when our youths are shown girls who use thousands upon thousands in makeup and cosmetic surgery and expected by their peers to look the same, it's gonna cause problems.

My 0.2 of course.

**Edit**
Spelling, it's 2:30am here and I'm tired!

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Frontkjemper]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AreaMan

W...T...F...is that.

If i ever have a doughter, which is one of my goals in life, and I see her dancing like that, while wearing that, at that age I will walk right up on that stage take off my belt and whip the live living carp out of her.

Feeling depressed and having suicidal thoughts will be the very last thing on her mind as I rip her a new ass with the whipping she is going to get.

I will gladly get dragged off by police for making sure my doughter knows and will think twice before parading like a little whore in front of a sick pedophile audience.

Look at the energy and talent these young girls are have. How in the seventh sphincter of hell you can take such talent and drive and turn it into That! That is criminal!!!!

And the people cheering those girls on and making them believe they are wonderful for being pawns in a sick literal representation of what it is to be exploited should be ashamed of themselves.

Disgusting.

I'm going to go claw out my eyes now......

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
There are a couple of other issues afoot here.

1. This is the first 50 or so years in history in which childhood extended into teenage years. It just didn't happen before... whether it was working in a facotry, on a farm, or even being the queen of a country, you'd be doin that from age 10 on.

2. The reason for #1 was because life was incredibly short and full of an actual meaning.. i.e survival. Now, meaning is fabricated and handed out... but its shallow most times.

I started working when I was 10, and had to pay for my own clothes and food since I was 11. Cutting never crossed my mind, as I was too busy at 4:30 am on Sunday delivering papers.

I say give your child an honest life that they can pour their energy into, give them lots of love and lots of your time, and above all, even though their judgement is blurred during adolescense, don't treat them like children, treat them like adults in training.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AreaMan
Oh what a sad sad world we live in

Wish I had more to say but I think this really says it all... :/

Wow, just wow.

Ppl dressing their preteen kids in lingerie to dance on stage
to the latest hip hop whore culture music.

Decadence was one of the factors in the fall of Rome.

It will be the same here.

Yuri Bezmenov called it Demoralization and Ideological Subversion.

I think he was totally correct, and the society is becoming a
new Caligula culture.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Not to set myself up as special or anything, way back in my teenage years of the late 80's (1986-89, more specifically). I had a free reign of making myself. One of the major activities was Teen Institute as well as acting.

I had made friends and mentors out of people that were upwards of twice my age and then some whose professional adult lives range from a former drug runner in The Outlaws to psychologists and psychiatrists. Between those two things alone, I have met a considerable number of different (and "different") people. Acting introduced me to politicians, celebrities and other "interesting" people.

Teenagers hurting themselves physically and psychologically was nothing new back then either. Eating disorders, drug/alcohol/sex addictions, even the cutting and burning self mutilations were going on. And quite a number of these people in my life at the time were really concerned about my use of a persona to deflect and shield myself.

That the over use was self-destructive and would cause traumatic mental scarring. To say that I escaped unscathed would be a lie. But it didn't happen at the time like they thought it would. It came much later in my early to mid 20's when the realization came that I was either a has been or never was (depending on how hard I was on myself).

Honestly to have faced that prospect in my teen years would have indeed been devastating. Maybe even to the point of suicide or other destructive tendencies. Good examples would be Dana Plato, Winona Ryder or Brittany Spears. Lost of fame can cause some really crazy thoughts.

And that leads to the article, with online fame being very real and happening without a support mechanism. Desperate actions can be acted upon. With the above child actors, fame was all they knew. Same as many, how shall I say it, Facebook Divas.

As for self-mutilation. I think today's teenage girl (and it is mostly girls that engage in this, although some guys do support "manly" scars) it isn't always out of depression or loathing. Sometimes it is a fashion statement like hair dying, tattoos or piercings.

Good topic, Intrepid.
I might have missed this one had you not mentioned it.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Izarith
reply to post by AreaMan

If i ever have a doughter, which is one of my goals in life, and I see her dancing like that, while wearing that, at that age I will walk right up on that stage take off my belt and whip the live living carp out of her.

Be careful with that, taking your belt off will probably be seen as a sexual advance
But seriously, steps need to be taken to prevent these things from happening in the first place, rather then trying to fix it when it breaks.

Hopefully when the economy crashes (fully), all the retarded crap like that video will disappear, and we can start fresh. Gotta think of ways to stop it happening again though!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Why is it just teen girls? Guys cut themselves all the time too. I'm a 14 year old guy who used to cut himself, so you guys are going to have to trust what I say here.

The whole depression/self harm thing is just a fad for most teens.

Don't get me wrong, some kids have it bad. But, most just think it's cool to be sad. I've seen people pretend to hide cuts. No, that wasn't a typo. They pretend to be ashamed of their self-injuries while putting them out there for everyone to see. Everyone around them just goes "OMG look how sad he is, he's so cool". Everyone just eats it up.
I've tried to talk them about it, but their reasons are just so incredibly shallow.
I just roll my eyes and groan.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I'd be remiss if I didn't comment here as I have two teen girls 14 & 17. The ATS Live Radio show touched on this topic tonight. Not to derail this thread by any means, but I think a relative correlation has to do with the thread I started regarding TV and Toddlers. However I think, after reading this thread that there is a direct correlation in regards to TV and Internet that contribute to this subject.

So at your leisure:

Toddlers and TV: Early Exposure Has Negative and Long-Term Impact, my opinion not just Toddlers

S&F for this thread, very informative!!!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'd say this man should expand his title to include quite a few adults I know.

We live in a society where EVERYTHING is for sale. Every part of you is up for sale, all aspects of life. You can buy it all. It's hard not to get jaded in a world like that. I knew a woman who used to cut herself. She was a music lawyer, lot of pull in town. She's good at what she does. She permanently wears long sleeves because of her scars. She told me "When you cut you know you are real". I understood it superficially as a way to cope with life, but in truth, I was never sure how to understand that. Even though we were roughly the same age it seemed almost as if we had come from different planets. I always remember her being obsessed with the latest band, the latest purse designer, the latest hairstyle. I never understood it, she would remark that I'd probably get ahead faster if I fixed my face, wore makeup and cut my hair.

That's the world women and girls live in. One in which they are always trading off some physical part of themselves. Some kind of artifice. If you want a glimpse into just some of the pressure look at this:
www.usmagazine.com...

Oh yes, totally easy, just two hours a day in the gym. Like women don't have jobs. Furthermore, what is tripped off in people's heads these days? Why do people expect women to GIVE BIRTH then get off the table skinnier than they were before? It's like some kind of sick obsession. These teenage girls are no fools. They see this crap everyday and know what they are in store for-an entire life of judgement. This crap is normal, heck I'm working on my first baby and I worry about getting fat.

When life has little meaning other than some kind of sick rat race where you are simply impressing one person after the next it's not worth the time. You want to feel like someone cares. I was always lucky to have parents and siblings who did care. We were raised without access to most things other kids had access to because my parents felt they weren't good for us. I'm grateful for it now. I learned what was important from my family. That's where this education needs to happen-not on the TV, not from pop music, not from magazines, not from Facebook-from family. A lot of people out there don't have that kind of support though.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by antonia]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The guy seems like a moron. Anxiety disorders are equal among sexes and eating disorders are rising faster among men than women. The "new story" is concerning males in America.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
A persons own will can only go so far at young ages.

Parents much teach their kids life lessons early as possible.

The sooner your kid can escape the fads of of the teenage/pre-teen life, the better.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Well yea. That's called being shallow. It's a common trait amongst women who have no depth to them. Can't exactly say what it comes from. I know women with strong wills and inside self, and women with weak wills and inside selves.

The only thing I find that is generally true is that the strong willed are religious and the weak willed or not. This of course is not 100% true, but is overwhelmingly so.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Damned Good Post Man!

I was 13 when I started working bagging groceries at the local supermarket in Mexico. I was even doing it against the supermarkets will.

In the past you had to be hired with out pay to receive tips for bagging in Mexico. They never accepted me for hire so I just snuck back in and started bagging whenever the supervisor was not looking.

Eventually one day an American was having trouble communicating and me speaking fluent English saved the day. I was finally hired as an actual bagger with the hat and everything.

I used that money to help my family and pay for my schooling. and have been working ever since.

Depression is caused by having no power over your life, being dictated what you are will do this to a person. The option of creating your own destiny usually keeps you too busy to get depressed and start cutting on yourself.

Getting the crap beat out of you by your father for being a little whore or a gay dark poetry writing Emo does not hurt either.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I could not agree more strongly. My 13 y/o is perfect on paper: straight A's, advanced soccer, on and on.

Up to about 6 months ago, she would get panic attacks at night. She was convinced there were prowlers or somebody was going to break into our home.

I tried to convince her that break-ins are extremely rare and that bad men understand that men like me make breaking in this house way too risky.

Never the less, for about 18 months, my wife and I would sit with her for a couple hours often until 2 am, until it passed.

She is still overly concerned with her non-existant weight issue and takes on way too much extra curricular stuff.

The clothes she wears are often the source of friction. She attends a Catholic school with very conservative parents but IMO, the girls get tarted up to go to the mall.

My family believes wholehertedly in single-sex ed. My daughter will be attending an all girl school in the fall.

Even with financial aid, we will be strugling to make ends meet. I quit a very stable job to get back into sales to bridge the gap.

The deal was sealed for me after visiting a few girls schools. The debasing desire to judge one's self worth on being sexually attractive to boys is mitigated and its very apparent speaking with the girls at those schools.

I have a 13 y/o son too. Just tonight I noticed a frightening change in the way he and his friends refer to girls. We are about to have a very long talk.

Our society is degenerating with respect to the objectification of women. It would be easy to blame the hip hop culture and videos on MTV but it goes much deeper than that.

If our best and brightest intellectual and athletic girls struggle with the need to please boys, where does that leave the majority?

If any boy thinks he is entitled to be good for nothing other than a life support system for a foul mouth and deserving penis then we are in fact witnessing the fall of modern western civilization.

God help us.

I

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Todays society has in my opinion distorted the roles of genders. A portion of women appear to be confused about the role as a women. Men are confused by this and it ends in a mess, where no one knows thier role any more. The woman is the Mother and to support and nurture. The man is to protect and to provide. Is this promoted anywhere any more?. Equal rights is a seperate issue to gender roles. This is where to confusion is. It is not unrealistic to hear in the report, teenage girls providing oral sex for older boys. The older boys provide the masculine element the young girls seek. Pheremones? Naturally occuring in nature. I have a young daughter. I can assure you, what is presented in society today about the do's and don'ts and the rights and wrongs it is in some cases against the human nature. men to protect, women to nurture. it is pretty simple. Morality defines the boundaries

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Izarith
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Getting the crap beat out of you by your father for being a little whore or a gay dark poetry writing Emo does not hurt either.

Getting beat for self-expression? I'd think writing some bad poetry is preferable to burning down the house or cutting yourself.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I'm exaggerating of course. a parent should not beat their children.

But spanking your children has become the new "beating". You touch your kids in a any disciplinary manner and it's considered child abuse.

a parent should care for their child and discipline is very important for a child development. But that's just me.

Emo is a new trend, And I know a few emo people and they purposely incorporate a dark depressed poetical mindset to everything they do.

They do not express themselves at all, instead they express the Emo trend they have joined.

What ever happened to erector sets and watching Robot Wars on TV?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
TURN OFF THE T.V. When I say this people are like, WHAT?????? You have to have t.v. How else are you gonna know what's going on in the world. TV corrupts the mind of our youth, and gives them a false reality of what is considered normal behavior. Be a parent but above all, be their friend. Really be their friend. My girls occasionaly want to see a movie, but they are so involved with using their brains that they actually.....ready for this, don't patience for the lack of unfullfield pleasure of tv tailored to people with short attention spans.

I love it. It's that easy. I have no idea what's going on in the world but my world, the world I can touch, smell, see, and hear, is full of fun and excitement, amazement and curiosity. I share this wonderful life with my friends, my little girls and lovely wife.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I don't understand the cutting and mutilating stuff teens do.
But somebody explained it to me once, it's easier to deal with the physical pain than the emotional pain you are going through.
So when the reality perception of a teens life is really down they do it to cope with mental and emotional pain they cannot handle. Scary because that could lead to suicide.
I haven't been a teen for a really long time, back then teens used to just drink and do drugs to cope. So even then they were hurting themselves, but just in a different way. All these actions are doing one thing, a person is trying to mask an unhappy life. And the causes for these unhappy lives are almost endless these days.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join