It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flag Wars! Teen gets 3-day Cinco de Mayo suspension! Crazy!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Student wouldn't let Mexican colors fly higher than the Stars and Stripes

Mexican flag hung at Klein Collins High School

A high school sophomore in Texas says he has received a three-day suspension for taking down a Mexican flag that was hung in his school higher than the Stars and Stripes.

Nick Morris is a student at Klein Collins High School in Spring, Texas, a northern suburb of Houston. On May 5, or Cinco de Mayo, the date many Mexicans in the U.S. commemorate a historical victory over the invading French army in 1862, Morris noticed a Mexican flag hung in the school's main hallway. According to his own admission before school authorities, Morris tore down the flag and, upon being unable to find its owner, threw it in the trash.

"I told them – I was just straight up with them – I said, 'Yes, I did take down the flag," Morris explained to radio host Michael Berry on AM 740 KTRH radio in Houston. "I told them it was flying in the middle of the hallway. I said, 'That's not right; you don't fly a foreign flag inside a school."

Now, Morris says, he's been issued a three-day in-school suspension for his act and told to pay for replacement of the flag. Morris also says that school administrators questioned what he "had against Cinco de Mayo" and that many of his schoolmates have labeled him as racist. For Morris, however, his motivation wasn't a disdain for Mexicans or the Mexican flag, but a defense of American patriotism.

"Cinco De Mayo is a great holiday," Morris told the radio host. "I have no problem with red white and green everywhere; it's student speech, it's what America basically is. I said, 'The only problem I did have is when you fly the flag of a neighboring country in a public school.'"

The Other side of the Story:

According to Houston's KTRK-TV, Klein Independent School District Communications Director Trazana Halstead confirmed a Mexican flag was displayed inside the building, with permission, by a member of the school's Spanish club as part of a Cinco de Mayo observance.

The school district also issued a statement on its website squashing some of the erroneous reports circulated online about the incident, namely that the Mexican flag was on a flagpole outside the school above an American flag flown upside down – all untrue. "Neither the Klein Independent School District nor any of its campuses," the statement insists, "has displayed another country or state's flag in a manner that would dishonor or disrespect the American flag or the Texas state flag."

Source: www.wnd.com...

What is it with the forced Mexicanization that is going on in our schools apparently. This is the 2nd story of this nature in a week! More and more our schools are pushing the limits of their authority. They feed the problem by partaking in this stuff.

Did you know the they don't even celebrate this Holiday (atemm) in Mexico? It is an American Beer publicity stunt that took off-the Americanization of it-

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It's a pair of tidal waves, no tsunamis that are meeting , OP. The "latino" vs the "american". It's two cultures colliding.

Neither side is morally superior, and ironically neither side seems to know what Cinco de Mayo is about either. Otherwise there would be no demonstrations of frustration in relation to the situation.

Americans need to learn basic Spanish in order to form stronger bonds of friendship, love, and business with the LEGAL Spanish speaking people here in the U.S. The Spanish language will be spoken as much as , if not MORE than, American in the next 25 to thirty years. (Yes , American IS a language, it was officially declared in the fifties and is not the semantic same as English)

ILLEGALS need to be arrested and deported. Cinco de Mayo needs to be left alone because making a political point of any kind relating to this date is just a hollow metaphor. There is no symbolism in making any sort of political gesture surrounding a date the Mexican people don't really give a snip about.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Sorry, the student deserved a 3 day suspension. If he had a distaste for this other flag, he should have brought it to the attention of school officials before putting his hands on it.

The school had already granted permission for the Mexican flag to be on display at the school.

With all the tensions going on as of late, with the new immigration laws for Arizona, it was up to the school to anticipate problems ahead of Cinco de Mayo. They should have known better.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
If it had been a poster, a picture, a piece of clothing, a piece of art that the school had given permission to be put up and a student took it down, they would be in trouble.

People are too emotionally attached to the idea of the flag of Mexico flying on Cinco De Mayo, That i sNOT somehow disrespectful to our flag or our nation. That's ridiculous.

[edit on 5/8/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I applaude the students in California who was sent home for wearing a t shirt with the US flag on it and I applaude this gentleman in Texas.

I have personally gotten 3 Illegals fired, arrested and sent back home since moving to my new residence last year. We all need to stand behind these students and help with the fight.

Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday that celebrates getting away without having to paying your debt.

They owed the French money and refused to pay. The French invaded and the Mexicans fought them off and now we have Cinco de Mayo.

Thats something to be proud of there.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I think this kid went too far.

If it was flying above the American flag on the pole, that's one thing. Being hung in a hallway display is another. It's not endorsing the flag in any way, just acknowledging the Mexican holiday.

A good analogy would be hanging the Irish flag in the hallway on St Patric's day. If he were to take that flag down, he'd have a lot of angry Irishmen to deal with.

[edit on 5/8/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Indeed, but the school should have known better. They gave permission for students to put the Mexican flag up.

That kid had no business touching it on his own, did so to create a problem, and should have been reprimanded. What if a German flag was up, or a French flag? Would it have been any different? I don't think this student would have touched them.

It is not different from taking down anything that the school had previously given permission to be put on display.

I blame the school for this, and their lack of forethought as to the situation that was created.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
That kid had no business touching it on his own, did so to create a problem, and should have been reprimanded. What if a German flag was up, or a French flag? Would it have been any different? I don't think this student would have touched them.

Exactly. So how is it the school's fault? Why should the school have foresight that a Mexican flag would cause a problem when a German or French flag wouldn't have?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

They should have foresight that this would have been a problem because of the recent escalation of problems in the border states regarding mexico and the US.

But you will see it differantly so I really don't know why I even bothered to reply to you.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

If you even have to ask, with all that is going on, I'm surprised with you!

Teenagers are not exempt from the news, and this kid was trying to make a point given all that is going on.

I'm sure he had an opportunity to do what he did last year, why choose this one?

School is for learning, and politics have no place there, unless the school offers a political science class, or they are learning something in history class.

Perhaps the school administrators expected students to behave with an ounce of maturity, which obviously, this kid did not do!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
It's a pair of tidal waves, no tsunamis that are meeting , OP. The "latino" vs the "american"(SIC). It's two cultures colliding.
Americans need to learn basic Spanish in order to form stronger bonds of friendship, love, and business with the LEGAL Spanish speaking people here in the U.S.

You're kidding right?
Then Mexico should teach their people English as well as the accent and inflections of Guatemalan. Like that's going to happen.
America, speak it or leave it.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracle Man
I applaude the students in California who was sent home for wearing a t shirt with the US flag on it and I applaude this gentleman in Texas.
I have personally gotten 3 Illegals fired, arrested and sent back home since moving to my new residence last year. We all need to stand behind these students and help with the fight.
Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday that celebrates getting away without having to paying your debt.
They owed the French money and refused to pay. The French invaded and the Mexicans fought them off and now we have Cinco de Mayo.
Thats something to be proud of there.

WOw, you hit the nail on the head, not just once but several times. Wap, Wap, Wap!
I agree, this just fosters noncompliance of American values and laws. Star!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
If you even have to ask, with all that is going on, I'm surprised with you!

Actually you make a good point.

I shouldn't be trying to post while listening to the ATS LIVE radio show. Sorry, you're right. The school should have at least been somewhat aware. Maybe they were, but decided to take a risk... ?

I understand your point that school is for learning and I tend to agree. It would be a huge change to the school system. No holidays, no non-curricular events, etc. But it would solve a lot of problems.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

NO! NO! NO! Listen to you. You don't come to a country legally or otherwise and demand that said country adapts to you and your culture and language. Spanish speaking Mexicans need to LEARN ENGLISH! I mean what the hell has happened ot America and Americans? Look at some of you pukes posting in this thread saying some of things you are and calling yourselves American. Pathetic! Maybe you should leave along with those illegals and nonassimilating Mexicans and foreigners.

There is NO REASON why the Mexican flag should fly higher than the US flag regardless of the Holiday it's disrespectful. My father was French and he loved to fly the French Flag on bastille day. But you know what? Stars and stripes were ALWAYS on top.

This country that I was born and raised in is pathetic. White people running around afraid of their own background and skin color. You bet your ass there is going to be a war soon...........between those who love and believe in being AMERICAN and EVERONE ELSE!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
It's a pair of tidal waves, no tsunamis that are meeting , OP. The "latino" vs the "american"(SIC). It's two cultures colliding.
Americans need to learn basic Spanish in order to form stronger bonds of friendship, love, and business with the LEGAL Spanish speaking people here in the U.S.

You're kidding right?
Then Mexico should teach their people English as well as the accent and inflections of Guatemalan. Like that's going to happen.
America, speak it or leave it.

You are absolutely confused. You think Mexico is filled with Americans ! Silly Violater, and you even got a star for this nonsense

25 years from now when Spanish is just as common in the States as English is I want you to remember this silly post of yours. And how backwards you had everything, how completely and totally reversed this post of yours is.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Morons who think I'm suggesting that America learn Spanish in order to acquiesce, you mistake me.

This is survival of the fittest. It is called ADAPTATION. There is another language growing up around you in America and you are thinking you don't have to learn it because it means you've "giving in"?.

(Dragonsmusic guffaws)

OK, don't learn it then! Awesome! And see what happens if Americans refuse to start offering Spanish in elementary school the same way English is offered the same way in almost every corner of the world.

Does the rest of the world refuse to learn English because of stubborn pride and blind stupidity? No, they learn it because they HAVE to, to deal with all of the stupid American asses who don't learn anything about other cultures.
Imagine...

They learn English because they adapt. The world adapts, America does not. The day of the world adapting to America's whims is coming to an end.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Secondly there was no flag flying whatsoever. Much less one on top of an American flag. Read the threads you post on at all?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I have to say that you replys have got me thinking.

Nicely done.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
There are a lot of posts on this topic and this is the third incident that I have heard of. The problem here from what I am seeing is that it is a matter of communication between the staff of a school and the student body at large, and the understanding that you can not force another to accept a culture that is not theirs. And I do believe that the public education system is going too far overboard on being accepting of the hispanic culture. Now before you flame on me for this hear me out. It is not the schools decision to decide what culture a child should learn, rather it is a parents choice. I remember talking to a former landlady of mine, very nice woman. She explained that while she and her family was living in Florida, she ended up having to combat the school about teaching her children spanish. Not cause she did not think they would need to learn such, but because she and her family were Greek Orthidox, and her children needed to learn greek as part of their cultural heritage. She explained on how they would fight with the school district, and would state no, every time they were asked if they could attend spanish language courses.
The question as the article did not actually state it, did the school district explain to the student body that such would be celebrated and that beyond the Mexican flag, there would be other aspects of the Mexican heritage displayed for the students to look at, or was it done in silence.
Now the student is correct that it may have actually offended him, though the questions that the adminstrators asked should not have been as it really is none of their business about a students politcal views or if he particularly likes a group or not. And what would they have done if he stated he did not like the hispanic community?
And the other question that no one is asking or wanting to answer, is what is wrong with being proud of the country that you live in? Is it wrong to show that pride, or are we to keep backing down in favore of other cultures as it may offend them to stand up and say Yes I am proud to be a citizen of the United States of America? And what would they have done if he decided to purchase a Mexican flag and off school grounds had burned it infront of hispanics?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

I have to say that you replys have got me thinking.

Nicely done.

Thank you, Anon. Peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join