It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did they rotoscope Apollo 16

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I was looking at some of the Apollo 16 TV recordings, and the moving shadows in this clip appeared as if they had been rotoscoped. This means someone has adjusted something frame by frame.

It could mean painting out an object or adding an object, but it's a frame by frame process, and in this case it looks like adding shadows.

I work in the industry, and to me this just looked wrong.
If you look closely you can almost see the painting effect in real time.

The things to look at closely are the shadows of the astronaut and the rocks, and finally the thing sticking up out of the ground.

I would love someone in the dedicated field of rotoscoping to have a look.
(These are the people that slave overnight to remove something or add something the director couldn't do when shooting)

The original NASA clip is here

www.hq.nasa.gov...

and the section in question starts at 1.24.
Also watch the disappearing shadows from the astronaut at 3.19.

However, it's in that old fashioned real player format (go figure)
NASA doesn't provide an alternative, but there are real player alternatives for media player out there.

Ps. if this is true, it means the TV broadcasts couldn't have been live.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by ppk55]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I'm not dedicated in the field of rotoscoping but I know quite a bit about it as I work in the film industry.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I wouldn't waste my time with this video footage until you can get hold of the original or better quality video. At around 3.13 you can see the background shadow overlayed over the astronauts backpack. These anomalies are probably caused by the video being of such poor quality. Try and get a hold of better quality video and see if the anomalies still persist.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Yeah sometimes the compression of those old realtime players really distort things. But if you need any insurance the moon landings are faked.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

I see what you are talking about. It could be the effects of low quality video. We need the original video.

For those who do not know what "rotoscoping" is, think the movies, "A Scanner Darkly" and few others. Some artists use it heavily in cartoons.

Rotoscoping

But ppk55 I see what you are talking about. We need the original video.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
I wouldn't waste my time with this video footage until you can get hold of the original or better quality video.

To everyone who's posted, I couldn't agree more... I really do want better quality vision; however it's just not available.

I was already aware the video artefacts of this crappy real video could completely discredit my post; however, I still think something isn't right.

If I had to narrow it down to one point, it's that big stick.

Regardless of the video quality the shadow on this stick disappears at a constant and steady rate. That's not how it would work in the real world. After years of trying to 'fake' shadows in the film/TV industry, I wouldn't be happy if this is what I produced.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

Hey ppK,

You might be interested in some of the research done by your fellow members Easynow and Lunacognita.

Check out this page of his blog to see some of image manipulation that has been identified.

easynowsufoblog.blogspot.com...

Originally posted by easynow

reply to Anyone that doesn't understand the background in this image...

download the full original version in this link...
spaceflight.nasa.gov...

then copy the image and save it to your computer...

then use photoshop or a simple paint program or image editor to brighten up the image. you will then see what is hiding in the black background of the picture.

*Spend some time perusing his blog if you get the chance. You'll find plenty of interesting apollo-related things.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Wow, Exuberant1, thanks for that. To be honest I didn't believe this could be real. So I downloaded the original from NASA and got exactly that result in photoshop playing with the levels.

I'm going to read up more on this ... very interesting. Thanks again !!

What's funny is, I spotted something strange with this image and had never seen other research on it.

reply to post by Exuberant1

[edit on 11-5-2010 by ppk55]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
download the full original version in this link...
spaceflight.nasa.gov...
then copy the image and save it to your computer...

then use photoshop or a simple paint program or image editor to brighten up the image. you will then see what is hiding in the black background of the picture.

That's cute. Just one minor problem. As should be completely obvious by the contrasty nature of that image, it is NOT an original scan, it is one edited for publication. And yes, BADLY edited by NASA, I agree...

Here's a link from which you can request the current highest resolution ORIGINAL scan (if you need help, just ask):
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

Try doing your highly scientific photoshop analysis on the REAL original, and explain why it is different and no crappy cloning shows up, and why you didn't dig a bit deeper.

top topics

join